What's new

why does the Onkyo TX-SR508 get so high temprature (1 Viewer)

Kennethstr

Auditioning
Real Name
kenneth
My onkyo gets very hot in only a few seconds. is this something a problem everyone has or is it just me?.

shuld i make an attempt to add a fan in there to cool it down?.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Onkyo's (and Integra's) have a reputation of running quite a bit hotter than most other brands. It's normal but if you feel it's a problem then adding a fan would be a good thing to do. Heat is an enemy of electronics. I have an Integra 8.9 and it stays fairly warm even in standby mode so I shut off the surge protector when it's not in use.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I've never used an external fan but I have always heard it's better to pull warm air out rather than push cold air in.

I would think on the top would be the best place but you might hear it from the seating positions and it wouldn't exactly look great there either. Most receivers with internal fans seem to have them somewhere on the back..

Kennethstr

Auditioning
Real Name
kenneth
okay, i placed the fan on the top its not any space on the back side. but are you shure that i shuld pull the warm air out instead of blowing cold air inn??

Kennethstr

Auditioning
Real Name
kenneth
or maybe if i putt one fan on each side (2 fans) one blowing cold air inn and the other pulling it out?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Originally Posted by Kennethstr

or maybe if i putt one fan on each side (2 fans) one blowing cold air inn and the other pulling it out?

I'm sure that would be better yet as long as haveing two fans doesn't produce too much noise.

Kennethstr

Auditioning
Real Name
kenneth
i don't really care if the fans make some noice, i think i can play louder than the fans :)

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
You'ld be surprised. Noise could be bothersome during quiet passages.

Aside from the heat issue, how do you like the 508? We recommend it often in the under $300 range. It has a good feature set for the price but it would be nice to know if it has a good performance to value ratio. Good amp section? Easy to setup and use? Remote? Manual? Over-all build quality?

Kennethstr

Auditioning
Real Name
kenneth
the onkyo is wery good, the only problem is that some of the hdmi innputs stop working over time. but i got them fixsed so if u look away from that its the best onkyo i have ever had.

but its broke now because we had some bad wether and than the lightning hitted my house and than i broke...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks