What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I had expected Jon M. Chu's mega-musical entertainment, In the Heights, based upon the Broadway musical of the same name to be something special.

After seeing it yesterday in 4k on a 37 foot screen with audio pumping through a full, highly amped Dolby Atmos system, I went away thrilled.

For the first time in aeons, I felt that I had become immersed in an example of fully organic cinema.

This is not just some summer movie.

With more than a tip of the hat toward the cinema of the past, Mr. Chu channels Busby Berkeley, Rouben Mamoulian and Stanley Donen, making their creations his own.

If one is going to view this film correctly, it's best not to wait for the requisite 4k UHD disc, but rather to find the largest screen, running 4k, and with Dolby Atmos, and visit that venue.

For the record, shot with a Panavision Millennium, which means 8k capture.

I'm already thinking Best Picture of 2021, which would make it the first musical to win since Chicago in 2002.

And then you can look forward to blowing the roof off your screening room with Warner's 4k disc when it arrives.

RAH

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yeah, after watching this on HBO Max in 4K/Dolby Vision and Atmos, I'm seriously thinking of breaking my streak of not being in a movie theater since February, 2020. A highly recommend this movie and this is somebody that isn't a big fan of musicals.

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
Getting ready to drive 80 miles to see this in a Dolby Cinema in Hampton, Va. I coulda opted to watch on HBO MAX in 4K but clearly this is something that justifies the effort to see it with all the bells and whistles.

Reactions: PMF

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Getting ready to drive 80 miles to see this in a Dolby Cinema in Hampton, Va. I coulda opted to watch on HBO MAX in 4K but clearly this is something that justifies the effort to see it with all the bells and whistles.
I'll be making a similar drive in mileage to see it again in a Dolby Cinema theater in Michigan.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
I'm already thinking Best Picture of 2021, which would make it the first musical to win since Chicago in 2002.
There's a little musical from a certain Mr. Spielberg due out this Christmas....

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
And to Wise-ly differentiate between the two versions, I would suggest a newer title; such as “West Side Spielberg”. ;)

Last edited:

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
There's a little musical from a certain Mr. Spielberg due out this Christmas....

I’m aware. It will be interesting.
Considering that the Hollywood powers-that-be seem not to like Spielberg and he’s remaking a sacred movie, leaving many feel that their sacred cow is being gored, no matter how good it is, I think there’s little chance WSS could win a big oscar. Add to that, ITH appears to be a genuinely fine movie.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
If one is going to view this film correctly, it's best not to wait for the requisite 4k UHD disc, but rather to find the largest screen, running 4k, and with Dolby Atmos, and visit that venue.
I just bought tickets to see it this week at the Village. This will be our first trip to the movies since February 1, 2020. The Village is my favorite theater to see new movies.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Mr. Miranda is well aware of that production, He said they were shooting ITH and after they wrapped for the day he went two blocks over and snuck into the SSP-WSS set and watched them shoot the song Maria on a fire escape.

Starts at 3:20 contains some spoilers about one of the cast members at the beginning of the video ...

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I had expected Jon M. Chu's mega-musical entertainment, In the Heights, based upon the Broadway musical of the same name to be something special.

After seeing it yesterday in 4k on a 37 foot screen with audio pumping through a full, highly amped Dolby Atmos system, I went away thrilled.

For the first time in aeons, I felt that I had become immersed in an example of fully organic cinema.

This is not just some summer movie.

With more than a tip of the hat toward the cinema of the past, Mr. Chu channels Busby Berkeley, Rouben Mamoulian and Stanley Donen, making their creations his own.

For the record, shot with a Panavision Millennium, which means 8k capture.

And then you can look forward to blowing the roof off your screening room with Warner's 4k disc when it arrives.

RAH
How do you think it compares with La La Land, a relatively recent musical that you were also very enthusiastic about?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
How do you think it compares with La La Land, a relatively recent musical that you were also very enthusiastic about?
I can probably relate it best this way.

To me LaLa Land is a movie that I love. In many ways it’s an extremely dynamic experience.

In the Heights is more (and I noted this above) a far more pure, organic experience, that’s not a “movie.”

In the Heights sends a very pure message about at least some of these elements, while it makes a point toward not only Dominican, Cuban and Puerto Rican pride, to which everyone should be able to relate, all while it entertains at an exceptionally high and dynamic level.

Organic and important vs beautifully manufactured, if that makes sense.

On top of which, I see a filmmaker learning from those who came before, and who created the basis of language of what we call American Cinema.

And now off my soapbox.

Last edited:

MarkA

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Abel
I can probably relate it best this way.

To me LaLa Land is a movie that I love. In many ways it’s an extremely dynamic experience.

In the Heights is more (and I noted this above) a far more pure, organic experience, that’s not a “movie.”

Especially at this moment in our nation’s history, where the truths about freedom, both legally and of spirit, about the horrors of racism - per pigmentation as well as religious and personal sexual beliefs, which have been under attack.

In the Heights sends a very pure message about at least some of these elements, while it makes a point toward not only Dominican, Cuban and Puerto Rican pride, to which everyone should be able to relate, all while it entertains at an exceptionally high and dynamic level.

Organic and important vs beautifully manufactured, if that makes sense.

On top of which, I see a filmmaker learning from those who came before, and who created the basis of language of what we call American Cinema.

And now off my soapbox.
I saw In The Heights on a big screen just a few rows back and I felt like I was part of the movie! Vastly inventive and entertaining!!

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
Enjoyed the movie and glad I saw it at a Dolby Cinema with Atmos.... it would have lost a lot on a Home Screen. Definitely would agree with Mr. Harris that Chu seems to have learned from masters like Berkeley and especially Donen (notably an expansion on an idea from a 1951 musical). I do wish some of the dance numbers were not made up of such short cuts as we never seen a full dance move, but I think that is a convention that is here to stay.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks