A Few Words About While we wait for A few words about...™ Lawrence of Arabia -- in Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Harris, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Billy Batson

Billy Batson Cinematographer

Alan
    Yup, a real one of a kind like all the greats, hopefully not too long before great looking Blu's of:

Lord Jim
    What's New Pussycat
    How To Steal A Million
    The Ruling Class
    My Favorite Year

2. SultanOfWhat

SultanOfWhat Agent

Matt
  3. SultanOfWhat

SultanOfWhat Agent

Matt
    Nice view as the vehicle drives by (keep watching until about the 9 minute mark, where the second shot ends):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. OliverK

OliverK Cinematographer

But now you can watch it in 4k at home, preferably of course on a front projection system. I recommend screen widths from 10 feet upwards for maximum impact:http://www.soundandvision.com/content/sony-serverhttp://www.soundandvision.com/content/sony-4k-projectorsEdit: Plus for now you need to be in the US for that - studio policies...

5. Cineman

Cineman Stunt Coordinator

David B.
    Thanks for posting that. Our day and evening would have been all set with an early lunch at the Woolworth's counter (probably a club sandwich for me, egg salad sandwich for her), the matinee of either Irma la Douce or Mutiny on the Bounty, followed by dinner at Howard Johnson's (if it was a Tuesday, their all-you-can-eat fish fry for both of us!), and the evening performance of Lawrence of Arabia. Of course, we'd have had something hot, buttered and coated in chocolate from those snack bars. What a great day and night that would have been! Nutritionally sound, too. :)

Yeah!

Reed Grele likes this.
  6. Cinescott

Cinescott Supporting Actor

Scott
    Watched LOA yesterday. God, what a great movie and Blu-ray!!!

7. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
  8. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    An article on Lawrence and the Arab revolt posted today at the Hoover Institution site.

http://www.hoover.org/publications/defining-ideas/article/164006

Reed Grele and Cinescott like this.
  9. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder 映画ファン

Malcolm
    It's fitting that his last film role is in Katherine Of Alexandria since it's a return to Lawrence territory in the middle east.

10. seangood79

seangood79 Stunt Coordinator

Sean
    Watched the 4K restoration tonight on a 55 ft screen, maybe the largest I've seen it.
    One thing I've never noticed before was the blood stain from Tafas' body is growing as Omar Sharif makes his famous entrance from the mirage.
    It's a little thing in an already complicated scene: The camel had to hit its mark, Sharif had to dismount without falling, while holding a rifle, then an exchange of dialogue with O'Toole. And now I realize there was someone on set in charge of making sure the blood was flowing on cue.
    I'd be really impressed if they got that shot in one take.
    Man, what a great movie.

ahollis likes this.
  11. nikonf5

nikonf5 Agent

Mian
    You can see much of what is stated in this article hinted at in the film itself but Lean resisted any direct reference to it and, luckily for cinema, didnt make it the central theme of the movie.

12. nikonf5

nikonf5 Agent

Mian
    I would advise u to read this whole thread from the beginning.

There is a wealth of information to be found [including information on that very scene] and tidbits you will never read in print and could only be from the mouths of people who had been there.

My advice is to take screenshots and save them all in one folder, preferably called LoA.
    in70mm.com also has some great information.

13. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    Technicolor Shutters Glendale Lab as Film’s Fadeout ContinuesDECEMBER 20, 2013 -- 01:02PM PT VARIETYCompany expects its last facility to close in less than five yearsDavid S. CohenSenior Editor, FeaturesTechnicolor’s decision to close its Glendale film lab shows just how quickly the photochemical film business is approaching extinction.The lab, which employed 39 people, was devoted to processing 65mm negatives and striking 70mm prints for Imax and other large-format theaters. ”It’s clear the market has dropped, as you can imagine,” said Claude Gagnon, president of Technicolor Creative Services. “Imax has transformed a lot of their theaters to digital and we were even lucky to have another year, because the volume was very uncertain at the beginning of the year 2013.”Fotokem continues to offer 65mm/70mm services as well as 35mm and 16mm services, and Technicolor still has one film lab, in Bangkok. But photochemical developing and printing on an industrial scale is likely to vanish soon. “Is it six months? Is it three months? It’s not five years,” said Gagnon about the future of Technicolor’s Bangkok lab. Gagnon said some studios have said that sometime in 2014, there will be no more film prints.Gagnon said the company’s HR department is working to place the affected employees elsewhere within the company but, “as you can imagine it’s very difficult to move people from a very analog activity to digital.” Technicolor employs 1,750 people in the Los Angeles area, he said.Technicolor has been eager to shed its analog film legacy business for some time as it completes its transition to a digital services and post-production company. It even dropped any hint of film reels from its logo in favor of a logo suggesting digital level bars.

14. Cinescott

Cinescott Supporting Actor

Scott
    "This is the way the world ends
    Not with a bang but a whimper."

TS Eliot

15. Reed Grele

Reed Grele Screenwriter

Reed Grele
    It's happening all over the world. Another reminder that one has to keep up with the times.

Look at all the silent film stars that were out of a job when sound came in.

My career was affected twice by the changing times over the last 30 years. So I can empathize with the Technicolor people.

16. ahollis

ahollis Producer

Allen
    End of a long long era. Being in the exhibition industry, this came quickly and took a long time. Film cans, splicers, leader, counters, rewind tables, and projector oil are gone.

17. Malcolm Bmoor

Malcolm Bmoor Stunt Coordinator

Malcolm Blackmoor
    The Parade's Gone By - Again.

18. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    Happened in the auto industry. Mechanics left in the dust when computer injection showed up.Anymore, you can't find a mechanic that can do carbs. And even when you find one that can do carbs...they crap their pants on ad side/down draft.

davidmatychuk likes this.
  19. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    Yes, I hung up my sprockets in June. :)

ahollis likes this.
  20. seangood79

seangood79 Stunt Coordinator

Sean
    We're still big. It's the projectors that got small.

davidmatychuk likes this.