What's new

Which sub Sony or JBL? (1 Viewer)

Jodie

Auditioning
I can get the Sony SAWM40 and the JBL PB10 for about the same price. Is there a clear winner here? Thanks for the help.

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
I have experience with both subs and I prefer the JBL PB-10.

I think it is quite a bit tighter sounding, than the SAWM40, I also like the construction and LFE input(crossover defeat) the PB-10 offers, plus it's 150 watts RMS as opposed to the Sony's 120 watt peak.

The question I have is, have you listened to both with the same source material? Have you listened to them both period? If you have, what are your thoughts?

Don't get me wrong, both subs sound great for the money, I just prefer sound of the PB-10 over the SAWM40.

JerryW

Supporting Actor
I'd go with the WM40 for HT (a bit better extension) and PB10 for music (a bit tighter). If I had to choose just one, I'd get the WM40 and "stuff it". Instructions on how to do this have been posted on this site.

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
I'd go with the WM40 for HT (a bit better extension) and PB10 for music (a bit tighter).
I myself find that the PB-10 extends lower than the SAWM.

While the Sony is rated at 20hz and the PB-10 at 27hz, I did not find that the Sony put out 20hz at any significant db, I believe the PB-10 will put out a significant db at 25hz.

I don't think the Sony really comes on until above 35hz, and the PB-10 comes on strong at 30hz and possibly below.

While my PB-12 is rated at 25hz, with my room configuration and room modes, I am clearly and loudly enjoying frequencies below 15hz!

Jodie

Auditioning
Sean: Thanks for the replies. I have heard both of the subs at electronic stores, but the listening environment is not conducive to make any distinctions.

JerryW

Supporting Actor
Hmmm... I had the Sony and it was clean to 25Hz (with an F8 around 22Hz). Stuffing it really improved the "tightness" of it considerably too.

RyanDinan

Stunt Coordinator
I have the PB-10, and must say it's a great little sub. It has a nice tight punch to it, and extends quite low. It's great for music and very nice for HT material. It definately shakes the walls with lots of clean bass....It never sounds like it's distorting or having a hard time...
I can't say anything for the Sony, as I haven't heard it.
Personally, I think Sony excells at making TV's, not speakers ;)
-Ryan

Tommy T.

Grip
Jodie,

Form what retailer/Vendor can you get them for the same price? I thought the Sony was available for a lower price especially online.

Please advise & thanks.

Tom

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
Hmmm... I had the Sony and it was clean to 25Hz (with an F8 around 22Hz). Stuffing it really improved the "tightness" of it considerably too.
Ok Jerry.

I will say that the Sony is pretty dang good sounding for the price. And I am curious as to how it sounds being stuffed

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks