What's new

Which service is better SBC/DSL or Comcast Cable modem in Plymouth, MI? (1 Viewer)

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
I'm helping a friend in Plymouth, MI go from AOL dial up to DSL or cable do they offer comparable performance in Plymouth?

Any help on this subject is appreciated.

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
I say go for Comcast but I'm biased:) but seriously I've worked for both Qwest and Comcast and have had DSL from Qwest,Verizon,Covad,& AT&T small Business and none of them have come close to what I've been able to get through cable from both AT&T Broadband and now Comcast in both price and speed.

Seth_L

Screenwriter
Well I'm in Farmington Hills and I have BrightHouse/RoadRunner cable. If you don't have Ameritech/SBC for your local service you can't get DSL. That stopped me from getting it. Cable is going to be faster on the download. Depending the the provider it may or may not be faster on the upload.

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
If he is in Comcast Territory He'll be able to get 1.5-1.8mbps down and 256kbps up for rougly 45 a month, and if things go like they're looking like we'll be upping download's to 3.0mbps down and up to 384kbps within the next year.

Most if not all DSL providers can offer that type of speed at that price that I've had experience with, not to mention no service contracts required with cable, you get 7 email accounts newsgroup access through giganews with 1GB of transfer free a month. 1 year free subscription to McAfee Firewall, Free access to Real games by popcap.com and many other cool services.

Seth_L

Screenwriter
The 1GB of "free" USEnet is a joke. The headers even count as part of the BW. RoadRunner has free full groups (with about 24 hours for retention, but it's free).

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
I have Comcast and a friend has DSL. While for the most part, I am faster on the downloads, he has a constant speed. During some portions of the evening, my cable gets to a speed just a little better than dial up. Since it is a neighborhood utility, the more people on, the slower it seems to be. That being said, I absolutley love my cable.

Brandon

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks