What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Which Married With Children episodes are edited on DVD? (1 Viewer)

dietcola

Second Unit
Real Name
les nessman
There is a 34 disc UK set from Mediumrare , Not sure what is on it . Packaging is nice , But not a fan of using the same picture on all 34 discs . If it's the most complete I will buy it .
does anyone have this? i'm assuming it's just a port of the old sony set, since it reverts to the replaced theme that millcreek corrected.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Sa5150

Second Unit
Real Name
steve
does anyone have this? i'm assuming it's just a port of the old sony set, since it reverts to the replaced theme that millcreek corrected.
Hope some can answer this , Still a definitive edition has not been done with some enhancements and even AI this can be improved to blu-ray to make it a smaller set .

dietcola

Second Unit
Real Name
les nessman
so hard to figure out what's what. especially at amazon with different releases reviewed on the same product page.

Sa5150

Second Unit
Real Name
steve
so hard to figure out what's what. especially at amazon with different releases reviewed on the same product page.
Yes I was very curious about that UK set but no info on it at all . The best for season 1 and 2 are to have the Sony sets , The rest I have are Millcreek where they keep the intro song intact , But PQ is not so good . Got a fan edit from downloads , Again there ok , Not what they culd be if Sony invested a little money into a new project . The show is still huge but many people just don't care about how tv shows look . People are still buying dvds of 4K recorded tv shows like Cobra kai or just streaming them . At least Paramount has jumped on there back catalog and putting stuff out on blu-ray , Hopefully Sony, Universal (Comcast owned ) and WB will do the same . MGM gets licensed out a lot so at least Amazon the owner is letting them do that . Disney is finally getting on the right track at least and hopefully will get some of the 20th Fox shows out there . I think the writers strike helped a lot that these companies said were sitting on a goldmine of back catalog stuff , Why not release it . Hope more strikes come because the only good shows are on prime, paramount+ , Netflix etc...

84lion

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alan McKown
MWC was a really fun show. Raunchy, poor taste…but all kinds of fun. Some really great lines and running gags in the show.

I have a downloading program called Anystream. At one time, the series was on some streaming platform (most likely either Amazon Prime or Hulu) and I downloaded the episodes – I found them through Season 10 on a hard drive. Not sure about Season 11, I might have to go on a hard drive hunting expedition. I do remember that the later MWC seasons weren’t as good. The episodes I have might be the Mill Creek versions – season 3 has the “Love and Marriage” intro.

The quality of the episodes is pretty bad, but it’s good enough that I can run it through my Topaz Video AI upscaling software and come out with something that looks acceptable on a 70” 4K TV. I watched 3 episodes yesterday and while the picture could be better, it’s acceptable to me.

I had thought about buying the Mill Creek set but fortunately checked and found that MC commits the unpardonable sin of NOT including closed captions/subtitles on the set. At least the downloaded copies I have include subtitles. The Sony sets appear to have CC/subtitles, but as noted, these have the replaced theme song on later seasons AND edits. So, as otherwise noted in this thread, there really is no good solution.

MWC was shot on videotape, which explains the PQ issues somewhat.

Sa5150

Second Unit
Real Name
steve
MWC was a really fun show. Raunchy, poor taste…but all kinds of fun. Some really great lines and running gags in the show.

I have a downloading program called Anystream. At one time, the series was on some streaming platform (most likely either Amazon Prime or Hulu) and I downloaded the episodes – I found them through Season 10 on a hard drive. Not sure about Season 11, I might have to go on a hard drive hunting expedition. I do remember that the later MWC seasons weren’t as good. The episodes I have might be the Mill Creek versions – season 3 has the “Love and Marriage” intro.

The quality of the episodes is pretty bad, but it’s good enough that I can run it through my Topaz Video AI upscaling software and come out with something that looks acceptable on a 70” 4K TV. I watched 3 episodes yesterday and while the picture could be better, it’s acceptable to me.

I had thought about buying the Mill Creek set but fortunately checked and found that MC commits the unpardonable sin of NOT including closed captions/subtitles on the set. At least the downloaded copies I have include subtitles. The Sony sets appear to have CC/subtitles, but as noted, these have the replaced theme song on later seasons AND edits. So, as otherwise noted in this thread, there really is no good solution.

MWC was shot on videotape, which explains the PQ issues somewhat.
What kind of card are you using with Topaz , I tried a sample and it said it would take 8 days . Had to pass on that . lol
Does it really make video taped show's from dvd any better ? If I was to get a much better GPU and upgrade my power supply I would definitely use the best source for MWC to a project like this . First 2 seasons the Sony discs , I forgot how they did the fan edit downloads but hate to use the Millcreek for anything .

84lion

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alan McKown
What kind of card are you using with Topaz , I tried a sample and it said it would take 8 days . Had to pass on that . lol
Does it really make video taped show's from dvd any better ? If I was to get a much better GPU and upgrade my power supply I would definitely use the best source for MWC to a project like this . First 2 seasons the Sony discs , I forgot how they did the fan edit downloads but hate to use the Millcreek for anything .
I have a few rigs (I’m a computer geek and have a very understanding and accommodating wife!). As examples: I have an Alienware X17r2 laptop with i9-12900H processor and GeForce RTX 3080 graphics card. That unit can process a 45-50 minute SD video (480i) to FHD (1080p) in about 5 hours and a 25 minute video in about 3 hours. I also recently purchased an MSI desktop with i7-12700F processor and GeForce RTX 3060Ti card. It performs similarly to the laptop. Typically, I do two “hour-long” videos and one “half-hour” video per day on the laptop. You do need a fairly recent and high-end processor and at least a GeForce RTX 3000-series (I would say 3060 Ti at a minimum) to get any kind of decent performance. I don’t know when you tried Topaz Video AI, but starting with about version 3.5.1, they made great strides in processing time, and introduced some new models that really improve the final product. Beware of the latest (4.0 and up) Video AI versions as people are reporting issues. I use the Iris MQ model (with individual setting tweaks) for my SD to FHD upscaling (4x). The results are generally fantastic. Obviously, the better material you have to start with, the better the result will be. But, even substandard material (such as the MWC downloads) can be made “presentable” on a large size 4K TV.

Topaz really does a great job not only of upscaling and improving resolution/sharpness, but also gets rid of annoying video artifacts that are part of the DVD video. The Iris model with 2x interlacing (from 29 FPS to 59 FPS) gives nice smooth video that looks very Blu Ray-like.

Not to hijack the thread or bore you, but I found out about this software a couple years ago when I was considering purchasing the Stargate SG-1 series on Blu Ray. I read so many negative reviews about the VEI Blu Ray set that I was really uncertain. On a forum, someone posted a screenshot of an upscale they did with the Stargate SG-1 DVD set (which I already had). It looked excellent! I purchased the software (and then found that there is something of a learning curve but that’s a whole ‘nother story) and have been upscaling for the past couple years. You would think that Blu Ray players, Amazon Fire Cubes, and TVs would do a good job of upscaling content, but they need help. There are a lot of TV shows and some movies that are on DVD and most likely will never be on Blu Ray. I have upscaled Stargate SG-1, Star Trek Deep Space Nine, Star Trek Voyager, The Pretender, Barnaby Jones, Cannon – I could go on. Right now I am working on upscaling my Land Of The Giants collection on one machine, and a Region 2 set of Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea on another machine. I just retired this year, and this is a fun hobby for me. Hopefully I will have fun watching all these old shows in my old age. I can't stand the new stuff on TV, and nostalgia is a beautiful thing!

You should check the Topaz site, I believe when I bought it, they had a sale going on. You’ll get one year of updates and of course access to all previous versions (right now I am using 3.5.1 and 3.5.4, primarily because they work for me).

As to a computer, I highly recommend checking the Dell Outlet website. Do make sure you look for an NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3000-series card. I have no experience with the AMDs (other than a very old laptop) but I do know that the software runs well (and fast) on the GeForce cards. Dell Outlet currently has a 12% off coupon on Alienware laptops, and I saw an x17r2 with similar specs to mine for just under $2K, before coupon. Good luck – and happy holidays!

dietcola

Second Unit
Real Name
les nessman
Yes I was very curious about that UK set but no info on it at all .
pretty sure if it was preferable to any previous release we'd have heard about it by now (came out in 2018). still, it'd be nice to have confirmation.

Sa5150

Second Unit
Real Name
steve
So in the Sony sets that took out the music intro is the PQ superior to the Millcreek that did put back the theme song from Sinatra . Is that the only issue ? I would not have any access to trying AI anytime soon and for now I have season 1,2 from Sony , the rest are from Millcreek and I have a huge Fan edit download of all the episodes . Still wondering what is the best I can watch these , I also have a Oppo 103D which does wonders but doesn't remove lines and stuff like on the really bad Three's Company dvds , It made Sanford and Son look petty darn good considering its really low rez video tape . I can only imagine the Topaz AI ... Three's Company needs a restoration badly . MWC needs a whole Sony set of unedited episodes with the them music and from there AI would do the rest . I would pay big bucks for these companies to do these properly and enhance them with there own equipment .

dietcola

Second Unit
Real Name
les nessman
just about ready to pull the trigger on the mill creek set. one significant downside is the more compressed PQ, but AFAICS, it restores the theme, uses the unedited (?) season 4 eps i'd otherwise need to source from germany, and generally has no end credits mangling (i think). what a headache!

darkrage

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael Prymula
pretty sure if it was preferable to any previous release we'd have heard about it by now (came out in 2018). still, it'd be nice to have confirmation.
I actually asked someone in the UK about that set on Reddit and according to them it has the same edited versions as the Sony set so that's a bummer.

That Region 4 set is intriguing to me though, i'll have to see if that one is uncut.

I also went through this with Saved by the Bell as so far the only DVD release I can find that has every episode uncut is the 2012 PAL box-set by Fabulous Films. Hopefully mine will arrive next week.

dietcola

Second Unit
Real Name
les nessman
^
finally! thanks. i grabbed the mill creek last week and hope i'll be satisfied with that.

re: SAVED BY THE BELL, i got the shout set when it came out, thinking that'd be the best option. didn't really look into it. at least it has the MISS BLISS & COLLEGE YEARS eps + movies in one form or another.

Sa5150

Second Unit
Real Name
steve
I actually asked someone in the UK about that set on Reddit and according to them it has the same edited versions as the Sony set so that's a bummer.

That Region 4 set is intriguing to me though, i'll have to see if that one is uncut.

I also went through this with Saved by the Bell as so far the only DVD release I can find that has every episode uncut is the 2012 PAL box-set by Fabulous Films. Hopefully mine will arrive next week.
I think I did my research with saved by the bell and bought the shout set . Is there edited episodes on the Shout set vs the Pal (which country?) set ? How about picture quality ? I think the Shout set is the only one that has the MISS BLISS as far as I can remember . Have no idea about the MWC region 4 ? Is that Aussie ?

dietcola

Second Unit
Real Name
les nessman
i think all DVD releases have been the same mix of mainly syndicated cuts, & more-complete eps. i watched the MISS BLISS season on the shout box yesterday. those are the re-edited syndicated versions, with the SBTB title sequence, credits and segues. almost certainly cut for time on top of all that. sucks, but since they're unavailable anywhere else...

THE COLLEGE YEARS eps all have uniform running times of 22:38, which would seem to suggest no editing. ive no idea. (the pilot runs 24:38.)

i ordered the UK SBTB set. seems too good to be true!

Last edited:

Sa5150

Second Unit
Real Name
steve
i think all DVD releases have been the same mix of mainly syndicated cuts, & more-complete eps. i watched the MISS BLISS season on the shout box yesterday. those are the re-edited syndicated versions, with the SBTB title sequence, credits and segues. almost certainly cut for time on top of all that. sucks, but since they're unavailable anywhere else...

THE COLLEGE YEARS eps all have uniform running times of 22:38, which would seem to suggest no editing. ive no idea. (the pilot runs 24:38.)

i ordered the UK SBTB set. seems too good to be true!
Please let us know if there uncut and if the PQ is decent . Happy New year .

I see that there is only 14 discs on the UK , Shout has 16 .

dietcola

Second Unit
Real Name
les nessman
with shout, the main SBTB series only takes up 10 of the 16 discs, so the UK set is actually using more.

Last edited:

Sa5150

Second Unit
Real Name
steve
with shout, the main SBTB series only takes up 10 of the 16 discs, so the UK set is actually using more.
Really , That's actually the most important part , does it have the entire bliss season 1 ? really big to let us know how these look when you get them . I would sell my shout set in a second for better PQ for the original SBTB episodes uncut .

dietcola

Second Unit
Real Name
les nessman
fingers crossed! darkrage will probably have their copy before i get mine, but i'll weigh in at some point (on a more appropriate thread!).

dietcola

Second Unit
Real Name
les nessman
i thought so: fabulous films' COMPLETE SERIES set has the exact same running times as the shout box. none of the cut episodes are uncut here. better PQ, tho: definitely a sharper more detailed, slightly warmer image. but, overall, save your money. shout on the left, FF on the right.

savedbythebleech.jpg

Sa5150

Second Unit
Real Name
steve
i thought so: fabulous films' COMPLETE SERIES set has the exact same running times as the shout box. none of the cut episodes are uncut here. better PQ, tho: definitely a sharper more detailed, slightly warmer image. but, overall, save your money. shout on the left, FF on the right.

View attachment 208243
Thank you , The UK looks much better . It does not have season 1 bliss ? Not sure If I buy it , Would have to keep both sets if its missing those episodes . But PQ goes easily to the UK . I'll probably end up getting i at some point . But I had a feeling they are all cut .

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bromleygarden
Recent bookmarks