What's new

Which Combo will give me more pleasure??? (1 Viewer)

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
I am going to be spending some money this fall and I would like your opinions. I would like to know which of these scenarios or combos will be the most enjoyable.
Scenario 1) A widescreen HDTV(probably the Toshiba 40H80 which I have seen in town for $2999Canadian) and an average DVD player such as the Panasonic RV31K or the Toshiba SD2710 (which are available around here for about $300-350 Canadian)
Scenario 2) A Smaller (say 27" or 32") Wega and a better quality Prog Scan DVD player like the Panasonic RP91.
Both of these scenarios will cost with tax about $3500-4000 Canadian and that is about the absolute limit I can go. These will both be an insanely huge improvement over what I have now which is a 4 year old Toshiba SD 2006 DVD player and an 8 year old 27" Panasonic TV. So which of these do you suggest and why? Thanks in advance for the help.
Rich
ps, on a side-note. Are these prices reasonable for a canadian B&M or would I just be getting ripped off? I am not very comfotable with on-line ordering yet as I hate the border fee surprise game.
------------------
"A) You can never go too far and B) If I'm going to get busted it is NOT going to be by a guy like DAT."
My Website
[Edited last by Richard Travale on July 26, 2001 at 03:11 PM]

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
I agree: get the Toshiba HD unit first.
And note: the Toshibas are starting to drop in price because of new models coming out so be ready to move.
And PS DVD players are also getting cheaper as more and more models offer PS output.

Charbel

Agent
No brainer, if you have the room... The biggest TV you can get. I wish all decisions were that easy. But then again, when your deciding for someone else it`s not the same thing. lol I have a 50inch and I want bigger.

Craig Robertson

Supporting Actor
i couldn't agree more, go for the bigger set and the cheaper player, or as Ryan advised, live with your current player until you can save up for a PS.
the larger set will have a greater visual impact immediately, with an incremental improvement when you add PS. and down the road, it is cheaper to upgrade to a PS player than to upgrade to a larger set.

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
Thanks guys, that is pretty much in my heart what I really wanted to do. I think that I will get the RPTV and wait and get the DVD player. Thanks again.
Rich
------------------
"A) You can never go too far and B) If I'm going to get busted it is NOT going to be by a guy like DAT."
My Website

Eugene Hsieh

Supporting Actor
quote: Both of these scenarios will cost with tax about $3500-4000 Canadian and that is about the absolute limit I can go. These will both be an insanely huge improvement over what I have now which is a 4 year old Toshiba SD 2006 DVD player and an 8 year old 27" Panasonic TV. So which of these do you suggest and why? Thanks in advance for the help.[/quote]
Hmmm... Look around.
Yesterday I purchased the Panny RP91 for CAD$799, including all taxes. If you're lucky, you might be able to find the Toshiba 40H80 for around $2800 plus tax, or about $3200. That's about $4000 total.
I'd suggest getting a friend of yours to check around the el cheapo stores in Vancouver. If it's significantly cheaper than locally, it may pay to drive the Van or whatever to get your hardware, especially if you have a truck or van or something to carry (VERY carefully) the TV (since they're so damn expensive to ship). The TV should have onsite service if you're concerned (but check up on that).
Otherwise get the TV you want without the DVD player. (I didn't get the 40H80 because it's too BIG for me. I don't like humungous TVs in a living room.) The Toshiba has a built-in line doubler anyway.
------------------
Eugene Hsieh, VisorCentral FAQ Editor
1000 km on a tank of gas??? Check out the Prius and drive the future now!
[Edited last by Eugene Hsieh on July 27, 2001 at 11:41 AM]

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
That's a pretty good idea Eugene, thanks. Unfortunately I don't know a lot of people in Vancouver and none of them know much about home electronics so that would be a pretty difficult assignment for them. If anyone here at the forum knows of some good stores to check out next time I'm in Vancouver, please feel free to pipe up. As for the size of the screen, I am considering the 40" mainly because it seems to be a great set for the price and also I don't think I could go much bigger in my room, maybe the new 50" model at the very biggest. Of course, moving something this big is a different problem altogether :)
Rich
------------------
My Website

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i'd also go for the bigger tv. by the time you're ready to buy the progressive dvd player, the prices will have dropped anyway...
"size matters..."
:)
------------------
You step in the stream,
But the water has moved on.
This page is not here.

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
"size matters..."
I KNEW IT!!!!
biggrin.gif

Rich
------------------
My Website

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks