What's new

Which 1080p Set - Samsung or JVC? (1 Viewer)

BarryNS

Stunt Coordinator
Looking very hard at one of these sets:

Samsung HLR 6168

JVC HD56FH96 or HD61FH96

The Sammy is definitely the cheaper-advertised set locally by a few hundred bucks, which is why I'm not sure if I go JVC if I'd go for the 61 or the 56...plus 61 will be HUGE in the room (primary seating is at most 10 feet from the screen)

Any drawbacks with either set in terms of performance, features, or interfaces supported? Primary viewing sources will be HD satellite (expressvu/DishNetwork) and progressive scan DVD with a little PS2 gaming occasionally...soon enough to be a highdef DVD player probably after Christmas once the products mature a bit more, and probably a PS3 not long after that!

I am one of the "rainbow effect" people who can see the effect with some DLP sets, and I have not yet had the chance to actually view the Sammy firsthand. Esthetically I think I kinda prefer the styling of the JVC.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
The JVC is an HD-ILA (Liquid Crystal on Silicon or LCoS) set, not a DLP of course, so you aren't strictly comparing apples to apples. Last year I bought the 720p version of the 56" JVC, and a few months later my nephew bought a 720p Samsung. (I forget now if he got the 42" or 46" - his seating is closer to his set than mine is to mine, so I know it's smaller. :)) I calibrated both with Avia. I prefer my JVC for black level and smoothness, but the difference is subtle. My nephew watches more HD sports than he does regular or HD TV material and he doesn't watch DVDs as much as I do and he's been pleased with his set. I love my JVC and even found it serviceable as a PC monitor for awhile. But neither of us are gamers, so I can't speak to that. And neither of us have a problem with the rainbow effect (although I do notice the screen door effect, one reason I preferred LCoS over competing technlogies - that and the better-than-regular-LCD blacks.)

For what it's worth... :)

Joe

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
I would NOT get an HLR-series Samsung. Look at this years HLS models instead; they fixed a lot of bugs (so I hear) with the new line.

BarryNS

Stunt Coordinator
I need to find a local retailer with the JVC's in stock. Actually, same for the HLS Sammys :)

BarryNS

Stunt Coordinator
Hmmm a bit more research and I may be ruling out the JVC "Full HD" sets already - seems they cannot accept a "true" 1080p input and instead perform some upconversion scaling for their 1080p display....my whole goal with a 1080p set is some level of future-proofing for 1080p sources (HD-DVD/BluRay, PS3, etc) as they emerge over the next few years....

orestes

Second Unit
Real Name
Orestes
I am in the same boat as Barry. I do prefer Samsung DLP unit to upgrade my old Tosh TW40X81 HDTV set. However, I cannot fit anything bigger than 42 inches in my apartment, and from previous posts, there is no 1080p DLP HDTV set in the 42 inch size.

I will not buy this year, but I hope that the 1080p will become available in the 42 inch size some time next year. I already have an xbox 360, and eventually will buy a Playstation 3 (possibly by the Nov. 2007 at the earliest).

Regards,
orestes

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks