What's new

Where will Paramounts library fall? (1 Viewer)

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor
I thought it would be fun to speculate where Paramounts library will fall now that it has Criterion and Legend as outlets. Far from a complete list , here are films from 1965 till 1992(most of their post 1992 films are all released)

1965:
A CRACK IN THE WORLD: Rumoured to be a Criterion title this has never been released on video in any form. Surprised when Par relaesed THE CORE that it did not release this as a tie in.

HARLOW: Paramount proper
RED LINE 7000: Par
PROMISE HER ANYTHING : Par
THE SLENDER THREAD: Legend

1966:
JUDITH: Par
THE PSYCHOPATH: Legend
NIGHT OF THE GRIZZLY:Legend
LAST OF THE SECRET AGENTS:Legend
ASSAULT ON A QUEEN:Par (should have tied this in with WB Sinatra)
THE SWINGER:Legend
FUNERAL IN BERLIN : a Criterion double feature with THE IPCRESS FILE

1967: HURRY SUNDOWN : I believe Criterion has an Eclipse quartet dandy here with this, SKIDOO!, TELL ME THAT YOU LOVE ME JUNIE MOON and SUCH GOOD FRIENDS all Otto Preminger flops released by paramount

OH DAD, POOR DAD, MAMAS HUNG YOU IN THE CLOSET AND IM FEELING SO SAD: A perfect Legend Fathers Day treat

THE PENTHOUSE: Never released on video, Legend would have a sleazy winner here

THE LAST SAFARI: Paramount proper

1968:
PROJECT X : Legend
ONLY WHEN I LARF: Par
ISABEL: Par
BLISS OF MISS BLOSSOM: Legend

1969:
RIOT: Legend
THE STERILE CUCKOO: Paramount
DOWNHILL RACER: Paramount

1970:
TROPIC OF CANCER: Legend
THE LAWYER: Legend 9or part of a Petrocelli tv set)
BORSALINO: Criterion
WUSA : Legend
NORWOOD: Legend

1971:
A NEW LEAF: Criterion
FRIENDS: a Paramount DF with PAUL AND MICHELLE
UNMAN, WITTERING AND ZIGO: Legend
HANNIE CAULDER:Legend
BEEN DOWN SO LONG... Legend
FEAR IS THE KEY, TR BASKIN, on amazons Unbox , Paramount
DEADHEAD MILES: Criterion

1972:
THE MAN: Legend should relese this movie of the first black president now!
INNOCENT BYSTANDERS; Legend
ALFREDO ALFREDO: Criterion
A SEPERATE PEACE:Paramount
CHILDS PLAY : Legend
FOUR FLIES ON GREY VELVET: Criterion

1973:
MALICIOUS: CRITERION
FRIENDS OF EDDIE COYLE: CRITERION
SCALAWAG: Legend
ASH WEDNESDAY: Legend
HIT! Legend
TALES THAT WITNESS MADNESS Legend

1974:
MAN ON A SWING (on Unbox) Paramount
APPRENTICESHIP OF DUDDY KRAVITZ: Criterion
THE DOVE: Legend
SHANKS: Legend
THE KLANSAMN: Legend

1975:
DOGPOUND SHUFFLE may be a Lions gate release
ONCE IS NOT ENOUGH Legend
SHEILA LEVINE IS DEAD AND LIVING IN NEW YORK (on Unbx)-Legend
NASHVILLE and DAY OF THE LOCUST deserve criterion deluxe editions

1976:
LEADBELLY: Legend
7 NIGHTS IN JAPAN: Lions gate
MEMORY OF JUSTICE: Criterion

1977:
THIEVES: Legend
FRATERNITY ROW9Legend)
FIRST LOVE: Paramount
LOOKING FOR MR GOODBAR: Criterion
RACE FOR YOUR LIFE CHARLIE BROWN; Paramount
CITIZENS BAND/HANDLE WITH CARE: Criterion

1978:
AMERICAN HOT WAX:Criterion
PRETTY BABY: Should get a criterion release

1979:
BLOODLINE:Legend
PLAYERS:Legend
NEST OF VIPERS:Legend
SECRET LIFE OF PLANTS/KIRLIAN WITNESS: Criterion
SUNBURN: Possibly MGM if Hemdale

1980:
NIJINSKY:Paramount
BON VOYAGE CB-Paramount
THE OUTSIDER: criterion
ROUGH CUT-Legend
LITTLE DARLINGS Paramount-if they were smart they would have tied this in with SEX AND CITY movie
PHOBIA:Legend
BREAKING GLASS:Criterion or rhino (like LADIES AND GENT;FAB STAINS)
COAST TO COAST:Legend
THE ELEPHANT MAN:Criterion rerelease

1981:
GOING APE: Legend or MGM w/ hemdale
NIGHT SCHOOL: WB thru lorimar
SECOND HAND HEARTS;' WB thru lorimar
GAS: legend (being shown on cable alot lately)
PATERNITY:LEgend
RAGTIME:Criterion rerelease

1982:
LOVE AND MONEY (WB)
LOOKIN TO GET OUT (WB) they missed the boat here.Exploitable thru the newfound poker craze and Angelina Jolie as a child
FIGHTING BACK Legend
WHITE DOG :Criterion
IT CAME FROM HOLLYWOOD ; Legend
HEIDIS SONG -possibly WB thru H/B

1983:
MAN WHO WASNT THERE Legend
THE KEEP: Paramount
BEYOND THE LIMIT: Legend

JOY OF SEX:Leg
RIVER RAT:Par
FIRST BORN:Legend

1986:
16 DAYS OF GLORY:Criterion
FIRE WITH FIRE:Paramount

1988:
PLAIN CLOTHES:Legend
A NEW LIFE:Legend

1989:
THE EXPERTS Legend

1991:
STEPPING OUT:Par
1992:
1492: Criterion

CBS films:
WINDY CITY-par

Cinema Center:
APRIL FOOLS, ME NATALIE, HAIL HERO, BOYS IN THE BAND, SOMETHING FOR EVERYONE, ADAM AT 6AM, MONTE WALSH, HOMER, WHO IS HARRY KELLERMAN, SOMETHING BIG, HOMER, CHRISTIAN LICORICE STORE, WAR BETWEEN MEN AND WOMEN and LITTLE ARK...all Paramount

Bing Crosby:
WILLARD, BEN, YOU'LL LIKE MY MOTHER, WALKING TALL 2 AND 3, MEAN DOG BLUES, REINCARNATION OF PETER PROUD, TERROR IN THE WAX MUSEUM, ARNOLD and W all Paramount

Charles H

Screenwriter
Paramount released a special edition of RAGTIME. I'd love to see Legend tap into Paramount's 1950's titles---the Alan Ladd, Bing Crosby, Barbara Stanwyck, Ray Milland, Bob Hope, Betty Hutton, William Holden, Mitchell Leisen, Charlton Heston, Danny Kaye stuff.....

JeffMc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
jeffmc

I want all of these, as well as others on your list - thanks for the breakdown.

By the way, YOU'LL LIKE MY MOTHER was finally released on VHS by Universal in 2000, so maybe that one still resides there (even if it is a Bing Crosby production)?

Dan McW

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan
The Lee Marvin/Jack Palance MONTE WALSH is scheduled to air letterboxed on TCM in July and August, which could be a harbinger of a DVD release.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
I would love to get IT CAME FROM HOLLYWOOD. It was announced several years back and never materialized, except for a picture of the cover artwork. I'm guessing the sort of rights problems that bedevil MST3K episodes came up.

Many of the movies featured in the film eventually became MST episodes!

ted:r

Second Unit
As long as "The Friends Of Eddie Coyle" and "The Sterile Cuckoo" are released by somebody (hopefully soon) I will be happy. Oh, and "American Hot Wax", also.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Don't forget their silents.

The Wedding March is rumored for Criterion (probably full-on since the rest of the big von Stroheim films have terrific DVDs from Kino), along with an Eclipse set of the three surviving Josef von Sternberg Paramount silents (Docks of New York, Underworld, and The Last Command).

That leaves Wings as the big silent unreleased. I'd imagine that Old Ironsides, The Covered Wagon, and Running Wild would be good picks for Legend Films if they want to handle silents. Paramount at least included the fully restored The Ten Commandments '23 in the 3-disc set of the '56 film.

AndrewWickliffe

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew Wickliffe
Is there anywhere with a good list of current Legend Paramount releases? Their website is rather difficult to navigate.

FrancisP

Screenwriter
Legend released Money From Home so that brings up several related movies. First you have 3 Ring Circus, the last unreleased Martin and Lewis film. Then you have the remaing Jerry Lewis solo projects, Don't Give Up the Ship, It's Only Money, and Who's Minding the Store?

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter

My additional speculations

PROMISE HER ANYTHING, while released on VHS by Paramount, has likely reverted to WB via their Seven Arts affiliation, much like SEVEN DAYS IN MAY.

Much like recent theatrical events involving the films of Otto Preminger, if SKIDOO gets released, it will not be in any sort of package with his other Paramount films. The Preminger family, while not quite suppressing the film, have insisted that it not be included when film organizations do any sort of retrospective; thus, I would suspect this would come into play on video as well, at least if Paramount or Criterion wanted interviews or materials from the family. However, as you suggest the no-frills Eclipse treatment for his Paramount films, maybe that would allow inclusion for SKIDOO. Though personally, that more than anything deserves special treatment - interviews with its champions like Christian Devine and Alonso Duralde, or surviving cast members like Austin Pendleton and Carol Channing.

Since Paramount is planning a remake of UNMAN, WITTERING, AND ZIGO, I would think they would put this out on DVD themselves to tie into it.

In brief, a lot of what you are speculating to Criterion is just not up their alley. I have heard from many reliable sources, though, that both THE FRIENDS OF EDDIE COYLE and WHITE DOG are forthcoming from them.

Some other CBS productions you neglected include GRANDVIEW U.S.A., ELENI, and TABLE FOR FIVE.

THE SECRET LIFE OF PLANTS and THE KIRLIAN WITNESS are not the same film, and despite what the imdb says, to the best of my research, neither Paramount nor Viacom ever had any claim to KIRLIAN WITNESS.

I think you left off Ettore Scola's MACARONI with Jack Lemmon, probably a good Legend release.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
One more CBS title to add to the list: The Challenge (1982) directed by John Frankenheimer and starring Scott Glenn and Toshiro Mifune.

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor
THE CHALLENGE is a difficult one to pin down who owns it. Avco?embassy released it to theaters at a time when CBS theatricals were being filtered through Warner Brothers. So it may be MGM or Lions Gate. Great underappreciated movie.
Anyone know who owns this for sure?
Another CBS film that I thought was underrated was Richard lester's expertly crafted 1984 farce , FINDERS KEEPERS with a very early appearence from Jim Carrey. great comedy!
Another one was the somber 1986 adventure WHERE THE RIVER RUNS BLACK
I believe TABLE FOR FIVE was put out on DVD by Paramount
I agree with you that Criterion may not find some of my choices up to their standards . It may be wishful thinking that I'd like to see one of my favorite 1970's films-CITIZEN'S BAND -given a beautiful transfer from Criterion and full of extras including trailers under both titles(HANDLE WITH CARE) and discussions on how this was marketed to different parts of the country-a fascinating old time ad campiagn. This great movie needs a rediscovery .
I turn to this forum for all your insights and often wondered if SECRET LIFE OF PLANTS and KIRLIAN WITNESS were both owned by Paramount. I know they both exist as different movies because i have a review from variety about LIFE (I'm sure the Stevie Wonder music rights have witheld this from any video distribution)-but never saw it anywhere and I have a video of KIRLIAN WITNESS-a not bad thriller. they do complement each other well!
TV movies that paramount owns thru CBS that Id like to see are:
SOMETHING EVIL, CHASE, BROTHERLY LOVE, STARK, QUAERBACK PRINCESS, THE CRADLE WILL FALL, HOBSONS CHOICE, LISTEN TO YOUR HEART and especialyy the wickedly clever MURDER BY NATURAL CAUSES

Deepak Shenoy

Supporting Actor

Unfortunately most of these are owned by Universal and they classic release titles at such a slow pace that you could be waiting for them forever.

-D

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
TABLE FOR FIVE is indeed already on DVD. My mistake for not noticing - retail's fault for not stocking it. :P

THE CHALLENGE did get released by Embassy instead of Warner's, but it's still in the CBS library.

CBS had nothing to do with WHERE THE RIVER RUNS BLACK; it was produced by James Robinson and Joe Roth (pre-formation of Morgan Creek) for MGM. Initial VHS releases of the movie were on the CBS-Fox label because they had an existing "tit-fot-tat" output deal with MGM/UA at the time of its release. Ironically, NBC did produce a film for MGM at the same time, CODE NAME: EMERALD, but MGM retained rights to that as well.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Universal only owns around 750 of the pre 1950 Paramount films. They were purchased by MCA in 1957 and became under Universal’s control in 1962 when MCA bought Decca, which owned Universal along with its music business. The films made by Paramount after 1950 remain in Paramount's catalogue, except for most of the latter Bob Hope films, which are owned by Hope Enterprises, the Hitchcock films which are owned by the Hitchcock Estate but licensed to Universal, and some of the Jerry Lewis films which Mr. Lewis owns. There are other films that changed hands over time, such as Zero Hour, but this is the exception.

On a personal note, I would love to see Sampson and Delilah, which was released in 1949 and not in the MCA purchase, The Buccaneers (both 1938 and 1958 versions which Paramount does own the earlier title), Crack In the World, Those Redheads from Seattle, Strategic Air Command, St. Louis Blues, The Pleasure of His Company, Summer and Smoke, Come Blow Your Horn, Hurry Sundown, Dr. Terror’s House of Horrors, Beach Ball, Oh Dad, Poor Dad. . ., Spirit is Willing, and all their Tarzan Films. There are many more, but I do not want to be greedy.

Blake Comeaux

Stunt Coordinator
Four Flies on Grey Velvet is #1 on my most wanted from Paramount. To my knowledge it has only had one official video release, and that was in France in the 1980s. I'm a fan of Dario Argento and have never seen this film due to it's unavailability and would like my first viewing to be in it's proper aspect ratio, uncut and with decent video quality. This new arrangement with Legend gives me a glimmer of hope. I would love if Blue Underground could get the rights and do blu-ray. Criterion could also have some interest due to the film's rarity and maybe base some specil features around that.

to_the_9

Auditioning
Real Name
Eliot

Completely agree! With somewhat renewed interest in Dario's work due to "La Terza Madre," it would be a dream come true if Criterion could release this widely uncirculated film in its proper format!

Jonathan Peterson

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Peterson
I wish they would release Little Darlings. It is one my wifes favorite movies. About a year ago they showed it in nice widescreen on one of the cable channels. I told her they must have done a new transfer and that it would probably be announced soon. She is still waiting. :frowning:

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
I acquired a burnt DVD copy of "Serial" through an online source, but I would love to see an official release of that movie.

I think that might be a title for Legend, although a Criterion release would be nice, if only because it would be nice to hear from experts who know about that period of time and the subject in question (Children of the 60s trying to balance a healthy and spiritual lifestyle with the love of money)...

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

And why were they called "Young Urban Professionals" if some of them were well into their 30s?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks