What's new

Where is rock n roll? (1 Viewer)

Van Patton

Second Unit
Stone Sour....I wouldn't consider them even listenable. If you mixed up all the current rock bands and put them together to form new groups I couldn't tell who was playing what because it all sounds the same. The same can be applied to any type of music nowadays for the majority. I despise these new bands with a passion. If you say jambands sound the same then keep this mind....real musical appreacitors hate WP and SCI.

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
*Rant warning*

:rolleyes

Vin, what songs have you heard from them? If you haven't listened to them, then how in the world do you know what they sound like? They are actually very good if you open up your mind and seriously listen. I am not even going to take your comment about them seriously until you tell me the names of the songs you have heard IN ENTIRITY, and what you thought.

Does music have to be made before a certain year in order for it to be listenable? I seem to notice that is what most people on HTF seem to think.

Real musical appreciators? What the hell is that supposed to mean?

What in the hell is "real music"? And don't tell me that Stone Sour and other current bands are not real music, because that statement is complete BS. If you ask me, I say all music is real music, no matter if I like it or not.

Whenever someone pulls that comment about how music "sounds the same" these days, I always laugh! You are obviously not listening close enough. If you can't tell the difference between Staind and Slipknot, for example, then you must be deaf! I even think that if you can’t tell the difference between Britney Spears and Avril Lavigne, who I both despise, you are not listening close enough.

The only reason you can't tell the difference between all of the current bands is because you stereotype them and do not like the type of music that they play.

EDIT: I don't want any of you to think that I am trying to insult you or what you like. I am only trying to defend current music.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member

Tony, please don't misinterpret what I said. And I've never given the impression that popular music is inherently "bad" (far from it). Though inadequate, "serious music" is a more accurate appellation than "classical music." It simply has yet to be demonstrated that much if any rock music will have anything like the staying power of Handel or Vivaldi. Simple as that.

Some popular music has pushed beyond the boundaries of convention and aspired to a seriousness not normally associated with it. And The Beatles definitely can be said to have accomplished that.

I've watched rock change ever since the 1960s; I've written about it and reviewed it and criticized it and on and on. And now, finally, after all these years, what I'm seeing confirms for me that this particular form of popular music may be on the wane. That doesn't mean we cannot enjoy what we love in the meantime.

Peter Mazur

Second Unit
I think the average person is stuck in the past and only really likes what they did when they were young. They will say today's music is garbage, music stopped being good back in the 60's, 70's...whatever years they liked.

The truth is there are always good bands and bad bands. No matter what decade you are talking about. It really is all just a matter of opinion. I personally think that the music Tool plays is just as interesting as the music Led Zeppelin produced. I think that Marilyn Manson is carrying the same torch that Alice Cooper carried back in the 70's. If you like The Beatles, try Supergrass, or Matthew Sweet, or mid 90's Blur. Fans of Pink Floyd, try Porcupine Tree. All these examples, I think, took what these earlier bands did and put there own spin to make it fresh.

There are plenty of good rock bands out there and there always will be.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I think the average person is stuck in the past and only really likes what they did when they were young. They will say today's music is garbage, music stopped being good back in the 60's, 70's...whatever years they liked.
True enough. The hardest thing is getting past the preconception of what "Rock" is as you define it. To expand beyond the definition that I developed when my musical tastes were formed, is often a challenge.

I have always found something worthwhile in the trend of the day amonst the rest of the crap. You just have to realise that, to you, 90% is crap and that probably won't change.

BTW, what can be a good help in finding those bands are a good eclectic radio station. A friend of mine has recommended Radio Paradise (www.radioparadise.com) to me, and while I don't like everything they play, they provide an interesting crosssection of music to choose from. You might actually find something you like on there....

Jason

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
another great internet station...if you're into "adult eclectic"...is Link Removed - they charge 10 bucks a month for the hi-bit streams, but it's well worth it.

it's the only monthly internet subscription of any kind i have. i feel it's *that* good...

rock n' roll is such a generic label these days. anyone ever see all the different genre classifications from cddb? some of them (can't remember the names now) totally crack me up.

i will say that most popular music is too generic for my tastes anymore. i much prefer the indie/alternative scene.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
90% of classic rock was crap too...ever root through the used vinyl bins at a thrift shop?

Memory is selective, we always remember the good stuff.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
it's the only monthly internet subscription of any kind i have. i feel it's *that* good...
Another idea in a similiar vein - sign up for a three month eMusic.com subscription ($45 total cost) & download as many mp3s from a bunch of (signed) bands from around the world. Get some exposure to random bands that you wouldn't have otherwise.

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for clearing that up Jack!
:emoji_thumbsup: Great comment!

I've got another suggestion that is very non-mainstream. Try listening to Millencolin, which is a very good punk rock band from Sweden. I'd honestly start off by listening to their Pennybridge Pioneers album, which is really catchy and well played. Go here or here to download a bunch of free and legal MP3s of their songs. I'd get No Cigar, Penguins & Polar Bears, and Kemp from Amazon. You can also get the little samples of Devil Me and Bullion from their official site (the 2nd link). :)

While I may be into popular bands, I discover them on my own, and I don't get them force fed to me by MTV or the radio.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Everyone has an opinion, but the phrase "Rock n Roll" is usually applied seriously only to certain music from the late 40's to the late 50's
"Usually"? I've never heard the phrase used in such a limited way. Who are these people who apply it "seriously" in that manner?

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
Dave, I recommend A Perfect Circle (The lead singer from Tool is in the band)...and if you enjoy that, Tool for a bit rougher edge. Tool is my favorite band to come out in the last decade by far.

I think a lot of todays so called rock music has become too formulaic. There's a lack of variety out there in the mainstream, and way too many clone bands. But I don't think rock is dead, or even dying. Maybe it's just less accessable with MTV and the slow death of AOR radio in favor of multi-format radio stations that play whatever is popular regardless of genre. There's still a lot of good stuff out there to be found.

Oh, and yes, you are getting older too. This is a factor. You have a different definition of what rock is suppossed to sound like. Sooner or later, it happens to most people. You hear todays music, which you're not suppossed to like by the way, and you say "you call that music"?

And suddenly you realize you've become your father.

:D

Anthony Connor

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Anthony Connor
Rock and Roll ain't noise polution :)

Who cares where the music came from. If you enjoy it get it.

I thought I might throw a few Australian bands up here for your consideration. My Recommendations are

Powderfinger

Grinspoon

There are a few older bands as well. Like Cold Chisel, INXS, Midnight Oil.

If you want Rock in it's raw form try and track these bands down.

Powderfingers latest Album seriously rocks. "Vulture Street"

Regards

Axe

DaveDickey

Stunt Coordinator
Carl,
I will give A Perfect Circle a long listen. Thanks for the suggestion. You wrote:

"You have a different definition of what rock is suppossed to sound like. Sooner or later, it happens to most people."

This is precisely what I want to avoid. I'm trying to get a feel for what other quality music rock fans are listening to today. I know the term "quality" is subjective. But my post seems to have accomplished it's purpose. I'm getting a lot of great suggestions (and an interesting debate).

Anthony,
I'm a big fan of Aussie rock. The Australians have definitely done their part through the years;)

I wan't aware of Powderfinger, however. I'll check 'em out. Tks.

Dave

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
I just thought of another band for you to try out, and that would be the Foo Fighters. Their lead singer and guitarist is Dave Grohl, who you will recognize as the drummer from Nirvana. You might like them.

Van Patton

Second Unit
Last time I checked the Foo Fighters weren't rock n' roll. I own two of their albums and its studio heavy easy steady rock with no energy. Granted I did like their latest song one or something like that but I really don't like them or think they are rock in the sense of a gritty soul filled sound with emphasis of guitar riffs.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
Last time I checked the Foo Fighters weren't rock n' roll.
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

Anthony Connor

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Anthony Connor
Dave D,

Powderfinger borrow a few licks from Led Zepplin of their latest album. I am sure you will like it. Check out the single "On my mind" it truley rocks. :D

There are heaps of other Aussie rock bands as well. We have a proud history in this area.

If you don't mind going back in history you may find bands that that are now part of the past, but for someone that has never heard them it would be like a new begining. :) I guess there are a heap of other Countries with simular roots. Like Canada. So you might have to do a bit of importing.

Good Luck. I might also pick up a few suggestions I have read here as well.

Also has someone mentioned Pearl Jam ? ( USA ROCK )

Regards

AXE

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
This is precisely what I want to avoid. I'm trying to get a feel for what other quality music rock fans are listening to today. I know the term "quality" is subjective. But my post seems to have accomplished it's purpose. I'm getting a lot of great suggestions (and an interesting debate).
I've been trying to avoid it too, but it has gotten more difficult for me since Soundgarden, AIC and Nirvana ended.

Have you ever checked out All Music Guide ? You have to take their album reviews with a grain of salt, but it's a pretty decent way of finding new bands that may interest you.

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
What the heck?! Foo Fighters are rock! Have you heard their latest album, One by One? It's about as rock as you can get these days! There are little studio effects, and the production is very raw and gritty.

EDIT: Weezer is another good band! I just thought of that! :)

LawrenceK

Stunt Coordinator
There is still a lot of great rock out there...though most of it originated in places where the average Led Zeppelin fan wouldn't bother to look. Some of the really good bands right now, who are semi-popular and trendy, like The Strokes or Interpol, have their roots in bands like The Velvet Underground, The Stooges, Television, and Joy Division, bands that were never extremely popular with the mainstream rock crowd. The Strokes and Interpol have basically taken the ideas of these earlier bands and put a pop spin on them. I personally feel that "Is This It?" (the strokes) and "Turn On The Bright Lights" (interpol), are two of the most exciting albums I've heard.

However, if you shy away from "art-rock" then you might not really dig these guys. The White Stripes and The Libertines are both very good bands that should appeal to a former Zeppelin fan, though The Libertines lean more towards punk.

On the other end of the spectrum are bands like The Flaming Lips, Radiohead, Wilco and Sigur Ros whose music is about as dissimilar to that of classic rock as you can get, yet their stuff is nevertheless beautiful and exciting. And of course, there are the independent guys out there: Sparklehorse, The Magnetic Fields (69 Love Songs is great), Eliott Smith, Guided by Voices, The Rapture, Will Oldham, Nick Cave, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Built to Spill, all of whom are making great records, but are not really visibile in the mainstream.

The point is, there is tons of great rock music out there, but, as pointed out earlier in this thread, it has morphed and fractured into a ton of different styles, which ultimately makes for a richer experience for music fans, since we now have an incredible wealth of great music to choose from depending on our individual preferences. Of course, I have never been a big classic-rock fan.....so yea I don't mourn the death of arena rock. I'm much happier to dig my way through the used record sections at Amoeba Music and discover obscure little records that will ultimately mean a lot more to me than any of the silly 70's rock that people seem to mourn so much.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks