Where do you guys stand on the "Lost Ansel Adams" controversy?

Discussion in 'Photography' started by Carlo Medina, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Over the last few days I've been following the controversy regarding the [Jim Rome] "allegedly" [/Jim Rome] lost and rediscovered Ansel Adams plate glass negatives. Part of me really wants to believe they are his negatives, from a historical perspective and as a great admirer of the man. Also, the story of how they ended up in a garage sale, if they are his, is just compelling historical storytelling type of stuff.

But the Adams heir has gone out of his way to discredit this find, and the experts seem to be split. The finder and his team of experts make a compelling case to me, more so than anything I've read from the side that contends they are not legitimate. But maybe that's just the part of me that wants this to be truly a find of epic proportions for those in the Photography and Art field.

What do you guys think?

2. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    I have no idea, but I tend to agree with TOP:

http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2010/07/mystery-solved-theyre-by-uncle-earl.html

Edit: forgot to add that I think Adams was an exceptional writer and teacher and inventor, but his images leave me a bit cold.

3. Will_B

Will_B Producer

As another Earl would say, "karma!"

In trying to dupe the world into valuing the pics for big bucks through his media blitz, the con man got undone by the very same media blitz. Yay.

4. Bryan X

Bryan X Producer

I think Uncle Earl.

5. JohnRice

JohnRice Lead Actor

John

For me, his images are a little like Stanley Kubrick's movies. Precisely honed and like it is taking the science to such a level as to almost make it art, but, in the end, as you said Sam, a bit cold. Still, he advanced so much understanding of B&W film. Fortunately he didn't live to see his advancements become meaningless.

6. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Well said!

7. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    Glad to hear I'm not the only one (around here) who wonders a bit about Adams' works. We may still be heretics of course, but even heretics could use a few friendly companions, no?

_Man_