What's new

Where can I find computer help on the web ? (1 Viewer)

Alex-C

Screenwriter
Here is my situation. I just got my DSL installed. I also purchased the Linksys Wireless Access Point/DSL router + 4 port switch and a wireless PCMCIA card for my laptop.
Now I installed my switch/router and no problem. The desktop still has DSL, and everything seems to be working and I installed the wireless access card in the laptop, again no problem installing it. The configuration utility that comes with it indicates a strong signal - so it sees the wireless access point/router and is getting a good 1.2 Mbps throughput.
I need some help on what the heck I do to tell my laptop to access the internet using this device. Everything seems to be working, I just can't access the internet on my laptop through this card. There is nothing in the manual telling you how to set this part up.
Do I have to set up a TCP/IP protocol with the access card ? If so, what are the settings ? Right now, on my internet connection settings, I dont have any dialup, or anything selected. I tried setting up various TCP/IP protocols but no luck. All the time, the card is working fine. Its getting the signal....
I am looking for some place on the web where I can ask general discussion questions like this. I already tried Linksys, and their support is bad, no way to talk or email or discuss with a tech person.
Grrr....

Jesse Leonard

Second Unit
If you have TCP/IP already set up for your card and all you need to do is point the browser towards using that card, then that is pretty easy.
If you are using Internet Explorer, go to Tools--->Internet Options--->and under the Connection Tab choose---->Internet Set up. Set your browser up to use LAN settings.
This should work if you have TCP/IP set up correctly. If you have anymore questions post again.

Matt DeVillier

Supporting Actor
you should have sure the DHCP option is selected in the linksys router setup, and that the TCP/IP settings on the laptop are set to DHCP / automatic configuration.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Yep, it's a total pain in the rear. The easist way to get started is to put the PC's side by side, and change the laptop's settings to match the PC's. The IP address is one number off, but I'm sure that you'll find all of the experts you need right here at the HTF.
Glenn

Andre F

Screenwriter
Find some good information on networking in general here. I have the Linksys cable/dsl router and wouldn't have finished the home network if not for some good advice. They even have a Linksys section.
-Andre
------------------
-= Take your stinking paws off me you damn dirty ape! =-

Alex-C

Screenwriter
I tell ya...I have tried everything and cannot get that stinking wireless PC card and the network setup to get my TCP/IP working and access the internet.
grrr.....
I have tried to use the DHCP in order to avoid entering and assigning all the IP addresses/subnets/masks/wins/dns etc. etc. and nothing seems to work.
I have read on some sites that disabling the DHCP and assigning the IP addresses is the way to go, but I want to leave that for now.
I guess I will try practicallynetworked.com and use their forum....

todbnla

Screenwriter
Real Name
Todd
Look HERE
for GREAT tips on dsl and routers, etc. Also this site has other links as well, good tools too.
BTW-the name of the site is DSLReports.com
FYI
------------------
Regards,
Todd

My HT

[Edited last by Todd Barattini on September 18, 2001 at 11:13 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks