What's new

Where Are All the Women, or: Don't Girls Buy Blu-rays? Seriously! (1 Viewer)

cwilli

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Cheryl Williams
Charles Smith said:
If Professor Higgins were alive today, he'd be asking in this very thread, "Why can't a woman be more like a man?"
I would have told Professor Higgins that women can't be more like men because they're women. period.

cwilli

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Cheryl Williams
Brandon Conway said:
I too have often found it odd that there are so few women on home theater and tech based forums.
I post here every once in a while, but I mostly read what you guys have to say because your so entertaining. I don't know about other women but I am what they call a blu-ray and movie fanatic and that is why I'm a member of this forum. I read everything I can about the technical aspects as well as the content and learn from reading your posts. I have been collecting since the early days of dvd and purchase carefully after reading advice from this forum. I would like to talk more about equipment and things like that but right now I only have a play station 3 and don't have a decent home theater yet. If I could afford it I would get the top of the line receivers and speakers as I would like to make it a hobby and spend my spare time watching different types of movies. I am constantly reading reviews on these boards and will have to wait to get the right equipment. My primary interest is in the classics and have to have the best picture and sound available and this is the only forum of its kind to get that information. I hope more women post because I can't believe that not many women are'nt interested in home theater and movies.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
cwilli said:
I post here every once in a while, but I mostly read what you guys have to say because your so entertaining. I don't know about other women but I am what they call a blu-ray and movie fanatic and that is why I'm a member of this forum. I read everything I can about the technical aspects as well as the content and learn from reading your posts. I have been collecting since the early days of dvd and purchase carefully after reading advice from this forum. I would like to talk more about equipment and things like that but right now I only have a play station 3 and don't have a decent home theater yet. If I could afford it I would get the top of the line receivers and speakers as I would like to make it a hobby and spend my spare time watching different types of movies. I am constantly reading reviews on these boards and will have to wait to get the right equipment. My primary interest is in the classics and have to have the best picture and sound available and this is the only forum of its kind to get that information. I hope more women post because I can't believe that not many women are'nt interested in home theater and movies.
I think most of us here are constantly learning, and with things popping up like Dolby Atmos for the home, there always seems to be something new. I am now pondering moving up to 4K projector and screen, which adds more variables to the presentation. Fortunately, I think it's best to wait on Atmos to become more standardized, because right now I can't afford to do both!

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
cwilli said:
I post here every once in a while, but I mostly read what you guys have to say because your so entertaining.
Hmmm. I wonder in what way we are entertaining? Hmmm. ;)

One thing I've always wondered, do women care as much about who shot first, Greedo or Han?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Lord Dalek said:
Wasn't our most talkative woman ...?
Your question is phrased poorly, and is off topic for this particular discussion. I suggest not taking the topic further.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
DaveF said:
Your question is phrased poorly, and is off topic for this particular discussion. I suggest not taking the topic further.
I forwarded that query* to a friend of mine...Harvard MBAJulliard trained musician5 years post op.She laughed herself silly. Showed the question to her twin college sons(Purdue and Cornell) and their mother.*Just the body...

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Apologies if I'm being too terse. (I'm running late to getting started on my Sunday cooking :) )

The discussion of gender imbalances is difficult enough in person with people we know. Tackling it on a forum is even harder. This is a topic that can easily derail and get itself closed. But so far, it's been interesting and informative. My thanks to all for engaging smartly and humorously.

Adding to it new and challenging (in their own right) gender topics will not benefit this particular thread.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
schan1269 said:
Since we have a "Gay Friendly"...Change it to "LGBT friendly"?
I recommend asking in that thread. Those are the folks that would advocate for and request the change. It's outside my purview :)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Elizabeth S said:
I would much rather shop for A/V equipment than uninteresting things like clothes or jewelry. :D
cwilli said:
I would have told Professor Higgins that women can't be more like men because they're women. period.
Possibly the most tedious conversation in the world is a bunch of men discussing why there aren't women participating in their conversation :)

What are your thoughts on women's interest (or lack thereof) of participating in an HTF? Have you ever tried to invite a friend; and how'd that go? What are HTF's strengths that might be built on to interest women?

My wife enjoys TV and movies as much or more than I do. But she has no interest in taking her interest to a forum. But I don't see anything particularly "female" about that -- most people don't discuss TV or movies in forums. I'll have to ask her what she thinks.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Reminds me of the time my gf was on a forum discussing pianos...She plays a real Knabe...Her reply to a person dissatisfied with the tuning their piano received...and was trying to flame a very good store in the process..."Maybe, if you didn't cheap out and buy a shitty piano..."

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
McCrutchy said:
To say it is "a guy thing" is kind of sexist, no? Why can't there be ladies who enjoy discussing A/V? The products themselves are gender neutral, yes?On a tangent, though, if any HTF ladies are single (or not, it's a judgment-free zone), McCrutchy is out to STUD...
That could be why more women don't post here... :eek:

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
My wife Robyn isn't interested in internet forums .. neither reading nor posting.
HOWEVER .. almost three decades ago, when we were searching for new stereo system speakers, it was her insistence on getting best possible sound within our tight budget which made us lash out a big sum at the time (about $2000) on a pair of Bose and Wilkins -- B & W -- speakers. She can't stand cruddy sound, and neither can I.
And, more pertinently, it was seven years ago that she decided we should go out and find a quality projector and automatic drop-down screen to go into home cinema. She shares my love of all types of cinema (while living in London in the 1960s and early 70s we lived at the BFI's National Film Theatre). Admittedly, her main reason for getting the big projector screen was to watch live the Tour de France, but of course our cinema collection (around 3000 discs at the moment) is the big beneficiary.....
So she is a major motivator (though I jumped at the chance to do some gulit-free splurging) though not overt about it the way I am!

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
AnthonyClarke said:
My wife Robyn isn't interested in internet forums .. neither reading nor posting.
HOWEVER .. almost three decades ago, when we were searching for new stereo system speakers, it was her insistence on getting best possible sound within our tight budget which made us lash out a big sum at the time (about $2000) on a pair of Bose and Wilkins -- B & W -- speakers. She can't stand cruddy sound, and neither can I.
And, more pertinently, it was seven years ago that she decided we should go out and find a quality projector and automatic drop-down screen to go into home cinema. She shares my love of all types of cinema (while living in London in the 1960s and early 70s we lived at the BFI's National Film Theatre). Admittedly, her main reason for getting the big projector screen was to watch live the Tour de France, but of course our cinema collection (around 3000 discs at the moment) is the big beneficiary.....
So she is a major motivator (though I jumped at the chance to do some gulit-free splurging) though not overt about it the way I am!

That is Bowers & Wilkins. Any attachment of the name Bose to B&W is an affront to the excellent speakers made by B&W. ;)

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
Isn't that strange. I was, I thought, being super-careful to avoid any confusion with the dread BOSE name yet I typed Bose instead of BOWERS!
Thanks for picking up my brain-snap. My BOWERS AND WILKINS is teamed up with another great British hi fi name, Quad Electrostatics, for my pre-amp and amp. At least I got that name right!

cwilli

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Cheryl Williams
Johnny Angell said:
Hmmm. I wonder in what way we are entertaining? Hmmm. ;) One thing I've always wondered, do women care as much about who shot first, Greedo or Han?
Many of you are entertaining because you know so much about my favorite movies and tv shows that I can't find any w here else. For instance, I had been following the thread about "It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World" since it's inception and couldn't believe Criterion picked it up. I'm hoping they will do the same for the "Alamo" but that's a long shot. I like all the background information and historical aspects about the films which makes this site unique. I don't know too many people who enjoy discussing films or blu-rays and I guess this is the right place. I may not always post but I'm usually always lurking.Regarding Star Wars,I know Han Solo shot first. Not the other way around the way George Lucas has changed it. I saw the original before the cgi and other additions. Han Solo would shoot first because it is in his nature to come out on top and not take any chances. It's not faithful to the movie to be re-edited.

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
cwilli said:
Regarding Star Wars,I know Han Solo shot first. Not the other way around the way George Lucas has changed it. I saw the original before the cgi and other additions. Han Solo would shoot first because it is in his nature to come out on top and not take any chances. It's not faithful to the movie to be re-edited.
Aha! You've tipped your hand "Cheryl", if that is your real name. Only a middle-aged basement-dwelling male would know or care that Han Solo shot first. You had us going for a while, pretending to be a woman, but as I stated earlier in this thread, Rule #30 of the Internet is immutable: there are no girls on the Internet. Well played for getting this far, but the charade is over.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks