What's new

When your heating oil tank runs dry... (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for depressing me, Dennis! :D

Like I said, if I was going to a buy a place, I definitely wouldn't go with my current heating setup. But the heating setup is the worst thing about my current abode, which I otherwise love.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
My uncle has heating oil. Lots of places "non-grid" have to have it. Not like you can't cook over a pellet stove...

I've never let gas/heating oil/all electric ever be a determining factor of a place to live.

Luckily, even in Indy, I was on well/septic/gas in 5 straight houses...pure happenstance.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Gas? Never heard of it. Not in these parts. Actually, not since my L.A. apartment living.

Heating oil and forced air heat-A/C here -- on a budget plan with the supplier, paying an even amount every month of the year. And the local companies here are great. They don't miss.

I wanted gas cooking in this house, so I have propane for that and the water heater. And now, even more propane for the generator. Yes, the generator.

DaveMcS

Second Unit
you can also throw an amount of diesel fuel in the tank as well. It's usually easier to find than kerosene and diesel fuel is the same as heating oil and kerosene is nearly the same. Both diesel fuel and kerosene can be used in your oil burner without making any adjustments to your burner. They will burn just as well and perhaps better than heating oil

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Diesel at the pump is taxed for roads. Out west the agricultural diesel is sold untaxed but with a dye so they can tell if you are cheating and putting it into a car. Is home heating oil dyed too?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Dennis Nicholls said:
Diesel at the pump is taxed for roads. Out west the agricultural diesel is sold untaxed but with a dye so they can tell if you are cheating and putting it into a car. Is home heating oil dyed too?

Huh? Who's going to look inside your car tank and check the color of your fuel?

How can that be "cheating?"

And I was just talking in another thread about government/bureaucracy not having a sense of humor...

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Mike Frezon said:
Huh? Who's going to look inside your car tank and check the color of your fuel?

How can that be "cheating?"

And I was just talking in another thread about government/bureaucracy not having a sense of humor...
The dye makes it exit the tail pipe blue. And yes, you'll be busted in 2 seconds.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Wow.

That's kinda screwed up. I had never heard of this.

There are probably other examples of taxing the same product differently based upon point-of-sale, but...

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Dennis Nicholls said:

The kerosene is dyed red. In New York, though, you pay the tax at the pump and the gas station keeps a log of whether you're using it for home heating or for other use. If it's for home heating, I believe at the end of the day you are only responsible for the local sales tax.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks