When Will All This "Reality Tv" Madness End?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Luis Esp, Mar 11, 2003.

1. Luis Esp

Luis Esp Supporting Actor

Have'nt we had just about enough of all these "reality" shows?

After watch SNL this weekend with their spoof "Who Farted?", I'm surprised FOX hasn't ran with this idea.

Now we have a new edition of "The Bachelor" and coming in April, we have "Mr. Personality" where the female contestants date men who are wearing masks and the women can only decide who will be a potential mate by their personality.

It's bad enough now that new tv shows are being pushed aside for these "shows" and even tried and true shows are given little air time over the last few weeks.

And don't even get me started on "The Family". How tired are these stereotypes with the Italian-American family from Jersey?

Imagine if they had chosen a family of a different background? Yikes! the crap would have really hit the fan!

2. Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald Cinematographer

Tell me about it. It's horrible. I never watched one before. I just don't think they're interesting. I'm fearing that in 20 years...they're going to be the only things on TV.

3. Carl Miller

Carl Miller Screenwriter

Count me among those annoyed that these shows are coming at the expense of original "fictional" programming. I've sampled a few of these reality shows and I just don't find it entertaining at all.

Robert, I'm sure this won't last more than a year or two. Any time the networks flood the programming as they're doing with reality TV, there's a backlash. That Regis millionaire show is a perfect example. Once it was aired 4 times a week, it sank almost as fast as it became popular.

4. Chris Brunner

Chris Brunner Second Unit

More is STILL coming. I have a friend who just auditioned for a proposed new reality show. SURPRISE!!! It's about "love and dating". [​IMG]

C

5. Paul E. Fox II

Paul E. Fox II Second Unit

These shows will end when the ratings start to drop. Right now, even the bad ones are getting better ratings than the "normal" fare on TV and are MUCH cheaper to produce so you can expect to see them for quite a while.

6. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

It'll happen just as soon as people stop watching them. A lot of people - these things are so cheap that they don't have to do especially well to be cost-effective.

As to when that will happen? I couldn't guess. Maybe when the next fad hits, or when something truly disturbing happens on one.

7. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Didn't we just have this discussion in another thread?

Here's an article about "Reality TV" from the latest Entertainment Weekly. It's a round table discussion with some writers and producers, sort of interesting to hear their insider views of it:

http://www.ew.com/ew/report/0,6115,4...eality,00.html

/Mike

8. Stephen Heath

Stephen Heath Stunt Coordinator

ROFL, thanks for reminding me of the SNL spoof. Did you also see the one later in the show... "I'm A Celebrity Who Farted"?

To be honest, I was hoping they'd throw Sean Connery in, after all, he does a great job on Celebrity Jeopardy =p

9. ChuckDeLa

ChuckDeLa Cinematographer

10. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

I was going to start a "I HATE REALITY TV" thread but thought it was too biased on my HATRED of these pathetic programs. This is why new shows like MIRACLES catches my attention, because there is some imagination behind it, other than some group sitting in a room and brainstorming how to get (A) 'good' looking girl to (B) date (C) marry (D) 'good' looking guy.

11. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

> we have "Mr. Personality" where the female contestants date men who are wearing masks and the women can only decide who will be a potential mate by their personality.

Picking a mate based on personality? That's sick! [​IMG]

12. Rhett_Y

Rhett_Y Screenwriter

13. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

14. Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson Cinematographer

15. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

> And don't even get me started on "The Family". How tired are these stereotypes with the Italian-American family from Jersey?

Notice how the logo from that show is in a font reminiscent of The Sopranos or The Godfather? I'm sure that's a coincidence.

16. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I have nothing wrong with these reality shows. If anything, it gives fictional/written programming a run for it's money, cutting out the crap and leaving only the good stuff behind. I'd much rather have some bad reality TV than a bunch of bad sitcoms or spinoff shows.

17. Anthony Hom

Anthony Hom Supporting Actor

So long as daytime TV lives on Jerry Springer type shows and Court TV. Prime time TV will embrace these shows because they have a similar voyeuristic appeal and they are cheap to make. No writers, everything is spontaneous to a degree. They have essentially replaced the 1/2 sit-com and are starting to replace the 1 hour dramas.

18. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

19. Wayne W

Wayne W Stunt Coordinator

How about a reality show where they take all the producers of reality shows and leave them on an island without food or water?

20. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

Oh, there will probably be a backlash when somebody on a reality show dies on-camera. Even more backlash if it is a gruesome death. And maybe the backlash will be enough to put a big dent in reality shows. But probably not. The ratings will probably go through the roof instead. Don Henley wrote a song about it about 20 years ago.