What's your opinion on refurbished products?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by John Besse, Apr 28, 2005.

1. John Besse

John Besse Supporting Actor

John
    I was tossing up the idea of purchasing an mp3 player and am in debate between buying a factory sealed brand new unit or spending the same ammount of money for the same brand with more storage space. I would really benefit from having the larger player, but am not too keen on the idea of buying a refurbed mp3 player. So, I wanted to know what other people think... Buy the refurbished unit or purchase a brand new factory sealed unit?

2. Mort Corey

Mort Corey Supporting Actor

On a small purchase such as that, I think I'd opt for the new in box unit. Refurbs, in general, seem to be a crapshoot.

Mort

3. John Besse

John
    That's exactly what I was thinking about refurbs being a crapshoot. However, I have never had any issues with refurbed products before. If I had to take a guess, I think I have only purchased three or four things refurbed in the past though. The only thing that is killing me, is that I really want the bigger unit. I just don't have the money to spend on it at the moment being a poor college student and all!!!

4. Chris Stainton

Chris Stainton Second Unit

I purchased a refurbished scanner a few years ago for half the price of a new one. Works great, not one problem. I worked for Nintendo for a while and got a couple refurbished Game Boy's. They too work great. I guess it just depends.

5. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I've bought lots of refurbs of all kinds and never had a problem.

6. Michael Warner

Michael Warner Supporting Actor

I almost always buy refurbished electronics when it's an option and I haven't had any problems so far -- knock on wood.

7. Bryan X

Bryan X Producer

i bfoughf a reefhurbishedd kyboaard. Itt woerdks puerfecftly.

8. John Besse

John
    Well, I just took the chance and purchased a refurbed 20 gig iPod. I really wanted that over the 6 gig mini, due to the amount of music I have. Thanks for the advice.

9. Colton

Colton Supporting Actor

I purchased two refurb Gateway computers. Never had any problems with them. Saved me a few hundred dollars.

- Colton

10. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    I also just bought a refurb iPod 20G model - from buy.com. I had a coupon too so I paid a nice 221.00 for it. [​IMG]

But I am a little nervous about the mere 90 day warranty and am considering getting the extended warranty (another common thread topic).

I have purchased other refurbed products, the primary being my Onkyo receiver and DVD player. Both have had no problems and it's been at least three years.

11. Michael Harris

Michael Harris Screenwriter

My Dell laptop is a refurb and I've had no problem at all with it. It was a top of the line model, for its time, and I saved some serious dough.

When buying a refurb, just make sure you know who stands behind it, what the warrenty covers, and return policies. Also assess how much money you are saving to see if it's worth the price.

12. Bry_DD

Bry_DD Second Unit

if the refurb has the same warranty as a new gear and the price is right i would take the refurb in a heart beat.