What's new

What's your favorite painting? (1 Viewer)

RogerB

Second Unit
Jack,
I had to look up some examples of your picks. :b
In the process I found a web site where a guy wrote some funny stuff about Roschenberg. Not that I share his opinion....I just think it's funny:
We availed ourselves of student tickets to the Guggenheim recently and we took in the Roschenberg exhibit. For those of you that don't know - Roschenberg takes things, glues them together with various sorts of really expensive glue, paints over them, and calls that art. I take things, glue them to cardboard, paint over them, and call it storage. He makes more money somehow, although with the price of real estate in New York, the tables may soon turn. Anyway, for anyone who hasn't seen Roschenbergs work, feel free to look it up on the net, but I warn you: You will understand this only if your appreciation for art is "Well gee Maw, someone put it in a gallery, it must be art." The open question "What is art" allows modern "artists" some leeway (Art is whatever they can pawn off on trendy SoHo galleries) but in my book leaves much to be desired. The present trend in art to take whatever is on the side of the road and glue it back together seems more like a waste management issue than something along the lines of Michaelangelo, Donatello, or the rest of the Ninja turtles. The ancient artistic sensibility of "What beauty! What precision" has been replaced by "What beauty? What precision?" I'm not sure exactly what that means, I leave it to the Ivory Tower types to figure it out for us. Sufficient to say that if there are no lines drawn to decide "Art/Not Art" then either everything is art, in which case Word of Swerd is art and someone please send me starving artists fund, or only certain things are art in which case urine in a jar is just a comment on how depraved the pisser has gotten, not a comment on our desensitivity. While I'm a touch confused, anything I flush down a toilet shouldn't be in a museum, unless they are having sewage problems.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
That is funny, Roger! I'd love to hear the same fellow's take on "Jack the Dripper"--aka, Jackson Pollack.

Also, I like Franz Kline's broad brushstrokes.

Don't know why, but I have a fondness for the "action painters."

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Ah, yes. I knew it was the persistence of something.

Just thought of another one I like: American Gothic.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
It would either be: Jean Auguste Dominique: The Turkish Bath (at The Louvre) photographs do not do it justice.

or Max Ernst: I Like Girls

or Roy Lichtenstein's Wham

I also like Miro and Magrite.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Hey, GREAT idea and very cool choices thus far. I adore all things Dali and Escher. Van Gogh is one of the best for those with bare walls. Frank Frazetta was a god to me when I was thirteen years old!

Someone tell me the name of this painting. It's a woman sitting on a hill looking away from the canvas (you see the back of her head), back towards a house. I'm pretty sure it's a fairly well-known piece. I've loved it since I was a small kid, but I have NO idea who did it or what it's called.

DonaldB

Supporting Actor
Scott, that sounds like Christina's World by Andrew Wyeth. My parents used to have a print of this on display when I was growing up and I was pretty captivated by it.

RogerB

Second Unit
Here are a few highly compressed images of ones that people have named earlier in this thread:
Edward Hopper's 'Nighthawks'
Link Removed
Edward Hopper's 'Early Sunday Morning'
Link Removed
A twist on American Gothic
Link Removed

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I hereby designate this as the most worthwhile thread in the "Polls" section. Really, it's such a fresh breeze in this forum. Good one.

How about some kitsch? Maxfield Parrish! Anybody got a link to some of his early-20th-century dayglo-like stuff?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tiktoksss1
Recent bookmarks