What's new

What type of receiver should I purchase? (1 Viewer)

HenrySu

Auditioning
Real Name
Henry Suzuki
Hello everyone

I am totally ignorant about current technologies, but I do want to upgrade my old equipment. I love front projectors, and I would like to purchase a Mitsubishi HC 5500 projector and a Blu-ray player (I do not have any particlar one, but probably Momitsu BDP 899 Region Free). My question is could I use my old A/V receiver, which does not have any HDMI output. My current components do not have any HDMI. I just connected S-video cable from DVD player to a projector, and Coaxial cable from my receiver to DVD player, and it works quite well. I asked one home theater store and I was told that I have to purchase a upconverting receiver with HDMI output. What does "upcoverting" mean, and do I absolutely need a new receiver?

Thanks for your help!!

Henry

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
"Upconverting" isn't strictly necessary. It depends on how many types of video cable you are willing to run between your projector and your receiver, and/or between your projector and your sources. "Upconverting" means that a receiver will take a source connected via composite/s-video/component, and convert it to HDMI output, so that you only have to run a single HDMI between receiver & projector. Sometimes it will also deinterlace & scale the output to a different resolution. Whether you'd want to get one depends on what switching capabilities you have now, how many sources you have (what besides Blu-ray, e.g. HD-DVR? game console?), how many cables you want to run.

Exactly how old is your receiver? Does it do Dolby Digital + DTS? Component video? multi-ch analog input? What's the brand/model #?

To get the absolute latest audio codec support on the Blu-ray, receiver upgrade might be necessary, particularly if you get the Momitsu. But if you are happy with legacy DD/DTS (difference small anyway), then it doesn't matter.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
You don't need a new receiver if your happy with the old one but you won't be able to take full advantage of the BluRay players hi-resolution DolbyTruHD and DTS-Master Audio. But you will still get the older DD and DTS surround sound.

Up-converting is a term usually used when a device- like a receiver, dvd player or tv- takes a low resolution signal, such as 480i, and converts it to a higer resolution (with varying degrees of success depending on how good the device is). The term is also used when an analog signal like that from a vcr is converted to a digital signal for output thru an hdmi cable. The main reason for receivers having this up-converting ability is so all signals can be sent thru one cable to the tv making installation, setup and operation a little bit easier.

You should also use an hdmi cable from the dvd player to the projector if you can, or component cables since both are better then s-video.

Looks like Stephen beat me by 4 minutes!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks