What type of LCD lighting technology are you going to have with your next LED HDTV?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Ed Moxley, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley Cinematographer

Ed
    I have no interest in LCD/LED, and especially not plasma. My next tv, which hopefully is several years away, will probably be a LaserVu, unless OLED comes in big sizes fairly cheap, and without glossy screens. I hate the glossy screens of most tvs today. We had to live with them my whole life, with the CRT tvs, but now that we have a choice, I choose to not have a glossy screen. A forum friend, from another forum, was in my area awhile back (early last fall), and was blown away by the black levels and off axis viewing of my DLP tv. He said the black levels looked as good as any he'd ever seen, on any kind of tv, including plasmas. But, mine is one of the last Samsung LED DLPs. That may be the difference. The LaserVu is a bit pricey, but by the time I need one, maybe the price will be down to affordable.

2. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Producer

I went with number 3 on your list; however, if I had gone with number 4 I would have went with the LED technology......... just as soon as OLED sets actually became affordable to ordinary people and not the uber wealthy.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I currently own a LED backlit LCD. I already based that purchase based on LED vs FL backlighting. OLED won't be a factor for a few years yet. They are just starting up the mass production factories, so prices won't drop too fast for the size I am interested in, but if it develops and pricing comes down to the LCD/LED range, OLED will probably be my next display type. No plasma.