What's new

What roadshow releases are you looking forward to on blu? (1 Viewer)

trajan

Screenwriter
Real Name
lar
KHARTOUM---THE BLUE MAX---RYANS DAUGHTER---LION IN WINTER----LORD JIM----DOCTOR DOLITTLE---STAR!----AGONY AND ECTACSY--FAR FROM THE MADDING CROWD---SWEET CHARITY----HAWAII---THE GREAT RACE.---GOODBYE MR CHIPS---EXODUS-----THE CARDINAL-- oh, did I forget MAD WORLD?

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
Definitely FAR FROM THE MADDING CROWD and RYAN'S DAUGHTER... but also better mastered blu rays of EL CID and FALL OF THE ROMAN EMPIRE.

bestactor

Agent
Real Name
TJK
Raintree County, Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm, The King and I, Flower Drum Song, Oklahoma!, Carousel, Thoroughly Modern Millie, Paint Your Wagon, On a Clear Day…, Finian's Rainbow, Peyton Place, Around the World in 80 Days

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I'll go with PAINT YOUR WAGON, along with HALLELUJAH TRAIL, SHOES OF THE FISHERMAN, and PEPE.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Jim*Tod said:
Definitely FAR FROM THE MADDING CROWD and RYAN'S DAUGHTER... but also better mastered blu rays of EL CID and FALL OF THE ROMAN EMPIRE.
You got that right - certain discs are so bad they simply don't count as a proper release for me.I would also like a re-release of Spartacus, The Greatest Story Ever Told, War and Peace (1956) and Mutiny on the Bounty (1962.Other notables for me:55 Days at PekingSolomon and SheebaThe Big FishermanThe Hallelujah TrailThe VikingsRaintree CountyThe Long ShipsBarabba (1961)Certainly not all of them award-winning movies but they should look great on Blu-ray and in an upcoming 4k format!And then there are others where we already know that they will be released sooner rather than later in good to very good quality: Agony and the Ecstasy, The King and I, Oklahoma! and others so I will not mention those.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
From that list, The Great Race & Lord Jim, hopefully next year. And of course The Alamo, but if it ever happens I'd think it's two or three years down the line.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
Question: what exactly qualifies as a "roadshow" and what films had official roadshow releases back in the day? I thought I'd read somewhere that the list of official roadshows was fairly limited.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
atfree said:
Question: what exactly qualifies as a "roadshow" and what films had official roadshow releases back in the day? I thought I'd read somewhere that the list of official roadshows was fairly limited.
My understanding of a "roadshow" movie is that the movie usually was treated as a "broadway show" type of event. There was usually an musical intro, an intr' acte intermission, and a closing musical feature. It was shown a limited number of times a day, you could buy advanced tickets, and there may have been a program given to the patrons. Some that come to mind are of course Ben Hur, The Alamo, and The Sand Pebbles.

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
Actually one more... and very unlikely given what I have read about the elements available.... would be the Russian version of WAR AND PEACE. The best available dvd version in U.S. is the Russico but it is sourced from a PAL transfer and is very smeary looking.
I did see this in its original Russian (close to eight hours) version in 70mm at AFI in Silver Spring a few years ago and it is a magnificent film.

trajan

Screenwriter
Real Name
lar
Douglas R said:
And CHEYENNE AUTUMN. Not because it's a great film but because in Ultra Panavision 70 it looked amazing.
It was super panavision 70.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
PORGY AND BESS
SOLOMON AND SHEBA
BARABBAS
THE VIKINGS
HAWAII
FABIOLA (French Version w/subs)
55 DAYS AT PEKING
THE BIG FISHERMAN
BEN-HUR (Niblo '25 Version)
AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS
THE GREATEST SHOW ON EARTH
SIGN OF THE CROSS

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I'd love to see 55 Days at Peking and Greatest Show on Earth, but for myself there is really only one "BIG" title that falls in this category: THE ALAMO.

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
trajan said:
It was super panavision 70.
Re. Cheyenne Autumn. I believe you are correct about Super Panavision 70 as I saw it projected on the Cinerama screen at the Loew's Capitol in NYC.

john a hunter

Screenwriter
Paul Rossen said:
Re. Cheyenne Autumn. I believe you are correct about Super Panavision 70 as I saw it projected on the Cinerama screen at the Loew's Capitol in NYC.
It was definately SUPER not Ultra Panavision.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks