What's new

What receiver would you buy now that would make a good pre/pro later? (1 Viewer)

james e m

Second Unit
Thanks to everybody for the great answers and help! I was hoping somebody could answer the following questions because the purchase of my new receiver, possibly the Sony DA5ES hinges on these answers:
My first question does the Sony DA5ES do actual Dolby Digital EX decoding as authorized
by
Dolby? Or does it do it's own Virtual Matrix version of 6.1 processing?
Does the DA5ES have an 5/7 channel stereo setting?
Does the DA5ES have 7.1 preouts for a 7 channel amp?
Where can I get a great deal on the DA5ES?
Thanks! God I love this forum:emoji_thumbsup:
James

Have you looked into Integra? I just picked up a 7.1 for 870. I did a in home test between a yamaha, marants 7200, denon 3802 and the integra. The denon and the integra were very close. but there were little things that made me keep the integra.

Craig_Kg

Supporting Actor
What are the frequency steps available in the bass management of the STR-DA5ES?

From the information I have seen, our version (STR-VA555ES) allows 40, 60, 80, 100 and 120Hz as the redirection frequencies.

I'm just wondering what other features are missing (ours lacks the 3rd room option).

MiltK

Stunt Coordinator
I believe that instead of 20Hz steps it is now 10Hz for -each channel. Let me double-check.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Sony's ES line has been using the 10hz per channel increments ever since the 777es 2 years ago and they haven't changed.

Denon uses a global 80, 100 or 120 crossover.

Angelo_Petralba

Second Unit
Real Name
Angelo
My first question does the Sony DA5ES do actual Dolby Digital EX decoding as authorized Dolby? Or does it do it's own Virtual Matrix version of 6.1 processing?
Does the DA5ES have an 5/7 channel stereo setting?
Does the DA5ES have 7.1 preouts for a 7 channel amp?
Where can I get a great deal on the DA5ES?
Thanks! God I love this forum
James
James-
The Dolby EX mode on the Sony is not "VIRTUAL Matrix" I say this because when I play DD EX movies, the DOLBY Digital light comes on and nowhere does it say "SONY Virtual" on the screen so I assume it is a Licensed Format.
The Sony has DPL II which is 5 Channels from Stereo Source (Sounds really good for TV and VCR Viewing) I think only the HK will do the 7 Channel Stereo (Logic 7).
The Sony also has 5.1 and 7.1 Inputs for SACD and DVD-A and the PRe-Amp section is capable of 7.1 Actually 7.2 because it has 2 Subwoofer outputs.
The Sony can be bought from Oade Bros for $750.00 + shipping (Brand New). I got mine from www.onecall.com
I hope this info will help you decide on which Receiver you choose. Good Luck.

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
GET THE 5ES!!!! Check out the specs at Crutchfield also. It does ddex and 6.1 es discrete. Dealers to check out are: OADES, 6TH AVE, JR, ONECALL etc and Sony is not a Denon. All you need is a receipt. I e-mailed them and asked.

james e m

Second Unit
Angelo, Thanks for your response. Yes, the question I was getting at was does Sony use the licenced Dolby Digital EX decoder or does it use Sony's own made up version.

James

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks