What's new

WHAT PROJECTOR (1 Viewer)

TONYELISE

Auditioning
Real Name
TONY TELFORD
Can someone advise me on what pj to buy mainly for ps3 gaming and blu-ray i have a budjet of £1200-£1500 uk pounds my room is 14 foot square and i can control about 95% of the ambient light,i have saved for a year so dont want to get it wrong im not affected with dlp rainbow so thats not a problem.I have a 100" draper matte white screen and will have no problems in pj placement.

Tom_Price

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Tony! I've been researching projectors for some time now and I have finally decided on the Epson HC6500UB. Now, not every projector is going to be perfect for all owners. The decision is really up to you, but I'll tell you why I decided on the Epson. First off, all the reviews I have read speak very highly of the unit particularly regarding its black level and ability to reproduce very deep and solid blacks. The unit is also very bright, which is good for me because I often have outdoor movie nights using a 144" stewart projection screen. The unit also has all the inputs I need (including RS-232c) and HDMI 1.3b (Deep Color). Another convincing feature is that the lamp on the unit is rated to last 4,000 hours which is well over the 2,000 industry norm. However, the unit sells for a little more...$2,500 is around what I've been seeing for it online. Epson is running a promo until the end of August in which you get a $400 mail in rebate and a replacement bulb ($300). I feel that justifies the price and the cost of ownership dramatically. The projector is 3LCD and alllows a multitude of placement options. If you have to spend less, take a peek at the Epson HC6100. It has a good deal of the same features of the 6500 but sells for closer to $1800. The trade off is that you won't get the contrast ratio or black levels that the 6500 is known for.

You already have the screen, so you save in that regard. The question really is how much performance do you need? I use my projector primarily for movies especially blu-rays, so true dark blacks are a main concern of mine especially because they are the hardest things for most projectors to reproduce. Your needs may differ from mine though. Hope this helps! Good luck with everything.

-TJ

Jack Fanning

Second Unit
Real Name
Jack Fanning
Tom,

Thanks for the great info. I'm also considering buying the 6500, but the 6100 is more inline with my budget. The $400 rebate and $300 replacement bulb you spoke about is definitely swaying me to the 6500. I can't find that offer on the Epson site, can you direct me to that offer?

Thanks!
Jack

TONYELISE

Auditioning
Real Name
TONY TELFORD
Hi TJ
Thanks for reply and advice i see that you said that you mainly use the epson for blurays-have you any idea what it would be like for ps3 gaming which will be the main use,because of this i looked at the panasonic ptax200 as it has a dedicated gaming mode but is only 720p or would i be better of going for a 1080p pj,i was looking at the panasonic ptae3000,infocus in80/x10 or the mitsubishi hc6500 do have any idea what they would be like for gaming compard to the ptax200 as they dont have a game mode-thanks for all the help

Edited by TONYELISE - 8/7/2009 at 01:30 am GMT

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks