What's new

What player offers the best performance for S-video? (1 Viewer)

Jon-C

Stunt Coordinator
What current dvd players offer the best S-video interlaced performance. I own a standard JVC 32"(S-video and composite) TV and don't forsee upgrading to HDTV in the near future. Which models offer the best film AND video pq in this scenario. I am considering the following models JVC FA90, Panny RP62, and the Sony NS755 but I am open to other suggestions. Thanks in advance. :)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Hi Jon. Welcome to HTF! :)

I'm afraid there is not going to be a clear winner just using SVideo performance. DVD's carry their video frames already separated so the players really dont have a lot to do with it (other than decoding/pull-down type stuff). They are all going to look good, and even if one unit has slightly weak output, you compensate for this by adjusting your TV.

So I would suggest you look at other issues/features to select one unit over the other.

Some possible critera to use:

- Which machine has the faster internal CPU? The faster machines tend to do a bit better job reducing artifacts.

- Which machine automatically picks the DD 5.1 soundtrack from a disk vs ones that make you select it with every disk?

- Which machine handles the layer-change better?

- Which machine has a better mix of outputs (coaxial and optical digital)?

- Which machine has a better feeling remote (or a universal remote)?

These are all better criteria to use.

Good Luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks