What's new

What Once Beloved TV Character Now Strikes You As Being Annoying? (1 Viewer)

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
John Hermes said:
Man, oh, man. I think OZZIE & HARRIET is very funny. You might not laugh much but I do.
I don't think I ever laughed once at anything in any one of the 435 episodes of O&H. In fact, I never even chuckled. I never even smiled!

So tell me something funny in it. Just one thing.

Actually, the funniest thing about the show was the official title, THE ADVENTURES OF OZZIE AND HARRIET. An adventure is defined as an exciting or unusual experience. Besides nothing really funny ever happening, did anything exciting ever happen?

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Gary OS said:
Absolutely! Ozzie & Harriet would have to go in that #1 category as far as I'm concerned. As would Father Knows Best, Dennis the Menace, LITB and TAGS. No question about any of them in my book.

Gary "and of course, All in the Family would be in the last category" O.
As for AITF, you suffer from a common human malady, as we all do, known as "confirmation bias." Your dislike of the show's political and philosophical viewpoint has disenabled you to recognize the show's virtues. Like it or not, it was one of the best-written, -directed and -acted sitcoms of all time. It certainly wasn't stupid or unfunny.

Of course, the same bias makes you see O&H as a laugh riot, because you like the people and the world they represent.

I don't mean this in a bad way at all. We all do this. For instance, I can't stand "M*A*S*H" because I don't like the attitude of the performers in it.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Joe Lugoff said:
I don't think I ever laughed once at anything in any one of the 435 episodes of O&H. In fact, I never even chuckled. I never even smiled!
Wow! Just... Wow!

Gary "I laugh every time I watch an episode" O.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Gary OS said:
Wow! Just... Wow!

Gary "I laugh every time I watch an episode" O.
Then I give you the same challenge. Name something funny in an episode of O&H. Just one thing. I'm waiting.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Joe Lugoff said:
As for AITF, you suffer from a common human malady, as we all do, known as "confirmation bias." Your dislike of the show's political and philosophical viewpoint has disenabled you to recognize the show's virtues. Like it or not, it was one of the best-written, -directed and -acted sitcoms of all time. It certainly wasn't stupid or unfunny.
Two quick things then I'm done here:

#1: It must be nice to be God and know exactly what makes me tick.

#2: I could take what you just wrote about Ozzie & Harriet and apply it to AITF. What the heck is funny on that show? The sound of toilets flushing? Archie calling his wife and son-in-law names? Being prejudice? What? What's funny about that show? Same thing you just said above, only I think I have a much stronger case.

Gary "bye bye to this thread" O.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
You know, there's no explaining these things that are a matter of personal taste.

Most people would put M*A*S*H solidly in my Category 1. For me, it's buried deep in Category 4.

On the other hand, I expected that I, myself, would put MISTER ED in either Category 3 or 4 -- but it's in Category 1 as far as I'm concerned! I think it's clever and funny, once the premise is accepted. Go figure.

About BURNS AND ALLEN -- the entire premise of Gracie Allen (and characters like Georgette on THE MTM SHOW) is that stupidity is adorable, cute and endearing. In real life, it isn't. It's irritating, aggravating, obnoxious and can even be destructive. So whereas I can go along with the premise of a talking horse, a woman as stupid as Gracie Allen is something I can't buy.

Honestly, wouldn't you rather spend an afternoon with Mister Ed than Gracie Allen?

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Gary OS said:
Two quick things then I'm done here:

#1: It must be nice to be God and know exactly what makes me tick.

#2: I could take what you just wrote about Ozzie & Harriet and apply it to AITF. What the heck is funny on that show? The sound of toilets flushing? Archie calling his wife and son-in-law names? Being prejudice? What? What's funny about that show? Same thing you just said above, only I think I have a much stronger case.

Gary "bye bye to this thread" O.

What does God have to do with it? I'm talking about human psychology.

AND YOU STILL HAVEN'T SAID ONE FUNNY THING FROM "OZZIE AND HARRIET" ------- BECAUSE THERE ISN'T ONE!!!!!!!!

When an argument is lost, it's typical to just leave.

And, no, I didn't think the toilet flushing on AITF was funny.

On the other hand, the implication that the Nelsons didn't even have a toilet in their house was pretty unrealistic, don't you think?

And by the way, as great as you think the Nelsons were, do you know what Ricky Nelson was up to in real life? He didn't live the values you admire, that's for sure.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
Joe Lugoff said:
Then I give you the same challenge. Name something funny in an episode of O&H. Just one thing. I'm waiting.
The show did not stay on the air for 14 years because no one found it funny. All my friends my age and my family all love it. You may not find O&H funny, but I never really cared for the Mary Tyler Moore Show myself. Comedy and humor are very weird things. My girlfriend does not think many of my jokes are funny. Imagine that. :)

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Joe Lugoff said:
You know, there's no explaining these things that are a matter of personal taste.
Joe, why don't you heed the statement you yourself made which I quote above and stop trying to find fault and instigate arguments with those whose "personal tastes" differ from yours?

I started this thread to explore in FUN ways how our "personal tastes" change over time and gain some perspective as to why, not to consistently berate, ridicule and diminish the 'personal tastes" of others. Believe it or not one can still engage in a humorous, good natured discourse over the divergent "personal tastes" of everyone without being blatantly disrespectful. Many of the posts in this thread were obviously written with affectionate intent and most certainly tongue-in-cheek, but from the start you have seemed to want to use my idea as a springboard for all your pent up resentment toward whatever happens to come your way. If that's the direction you prefer this thread follow, fine, but don't attempt to drag down everyone else with it by baiting and intimidating other posters who may disagree with you.

And just for the record, I think THE ADVENTURES OF OZZIE AND HARRIET is one of the funniest shows that has ever aired. But I'm not going to defend it to anyone because You know, there's no explaining these things that are a matter of personal taste.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Joe Lugoff said:
About BURNS AND ALLEN -- the entire premise of Gracie Allen (and characters like Georgette on THE MTM SHOW) is that stupidity is adorable, cute and endearing. In real life, it isn't. It's irritating, aggravating, obnoxious and can even be destructive. So whereas I can go along with the premise of a talking horse, a woman as stupid as Gracie Allen is something I can't buy.

Honestly, wouldn't you rather spend an afternoon with Mister Ed than Gracie Allen?
Uh, no. Because "Mister Ed" is a tiresome exercise of stretching a one-joke premise that I never found amusing. "Burns And Allen" OTOH is a sharply written series of *funny* storyline where I get to watch a gifted comic *actress* which Gracie Allen was, in action. I find Gracie a more endearing personality than Lucy ever was in any of her incarnations (there's none of the deliberate deviousness that is always there whenever Lucy suddenly gets an idea).

"All In The Family" had funny episodes on occasion, but the funny ones were the ones that were the result of brilliant comic timing and also when the episodes weren't so in-your-face pretentious. It's funny when Archie locks himself in the cellar and gets drunk trying to keep warm, because that's a *traditional* piece of sitcom humor. When I have to hear the Meathead deliver unpaid campaign ads for the George McGovern presidential campaign, that is not funny.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Sigh. This thread is starting to deteriorate into the same kind of divisive nature and behavior that many threads have in the TV forum. I suppose it's only a matter of time before religion, politics and all the personal attacks therein rear their ugly head. I welcome the intervention of Ron Epstein to once again steer yet another TV forum thread on track, but at this point it's academic for me because I think I'm probably done in this one.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Joe Lugoff said:
On the other hand, the implication that the Nelsons didn't even have a toilet in their house was pretty unrealistic, don't you think?

And by the way, as great as you think the Nelsons were, do you know what Ricky Nelson was up to in real life? He didn't live the values you admire, that's for sure.
Who cares if the Nelsons' toilet was never used for comedy? Scatalogical humor is among the lowest forms of comedy. For the most part, movies and TV shows don't dwell on the unsavory aspects of life, like bodily excretions, menstruation and jock itch. We all know those things exist; but most generally don't find them "entertainment".

As to "Nelson Family Values" and Ricky Nelson's private life, you are confusing reality with heightened reality. O & H represents those old fashioned values. It does not mean they were paragons of virtue in real life. Bing Crosby represents Americana to a lot of people, but it appears he was rather cruel to his sons in real life.

What constitutes comedy or "funny" is extraordinarily subjective. What provokes gales of laughter in some may provoke crickets chirping for others. For example, I have never found Robin Williams to be funny. I didn't like him on Mork and Mindy. Don't like his movies (Mrs. Doubtfire is excruciatingly unfunny to me), didn't like his "guy-on-coke-stream-of-conciousness" style of stand-up. The only thing I ever liked of his was the voice of the Genie in Aladdin. But, I daresay he has had a successful career, so I am swimming against the tide on that one.

In terms of collecting TV shows and movies, comedy is my least favorite genre. After awhile, even stuff that I find funny is no longer funny because the jokes become stale (like Buck Barrow's "don't sell that cow" joke from Bonnie and Clyde). The only comedies I watch with regularity are silent comedies. For some reason, the well constructed sight gags of the great silent clowns still make me laugh.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Alright, so here I am...

And once again, I have to come in and squelch a thread in
the TV area that has turned argumental.

I don't know what it is about discussion television that makes
some of you get overly passionate to the point where you start
lashing out at each other.

Normally, I would start locking members out of this thread.
Unfortunately, we are still waiting for that capability on this platform.
So, if need be, I am going to have to start suspending accounts.

Cut it out now or you are going to find that you won't be able to
crossing any personal lines?

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Great name, Ronald!!! Lol!!!

It seems the Internet makes fools out of normally nice folks. It's not just here but it's on other forums as well. It doesn't matter if it's TV or St. Louis Cardinals baseball, there's always one or two that are derogatory and want to call names or demean someone's personal views.

I'm very thankful that those in charge here don't tolerate crap like this.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Hopefully I don't get in trouble for this, but I wanted to quickly state for the record that I don't really think AITF never had a funny moment. I was just trying to point out how crazy it is for anyone to say a long-running sitcom has never had a funny moment. And of course AITF falls into that category. Sorry if in my attempt to make a point I insulted anyone's favorite, or beloved, show. That really wasn't my intent.

Gary "take care, everyone" O.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
i'll throw caution to the wind and point out a laugh out loud moment from Ozzie and Harriet; I'm no expert on the show. I just know what makes me laugh and I'm going from hazy memories from long ago.

There was one episode where Ozzie, having warned Ricky about the responsibility that comes with having a key to the house, promptly loses his own key and has to ask Thorny for his spare. It gets to be a running gag between the two as Ozzie keeps locking himself out and decides that he'll be darned if he's going to admit it once again to Thorny, let alone Ricky, who both notice him loitering in front of the house.

It's gentle humor, not Lucy-running-amok-on-a-lawnmower stuff, but it brings a smile to my face even as I recall it now.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Well, thank you. At last someone at least tried to relate something he found funny on O&H. The others' silences were deafening.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
I've been watching this thread, and very dearly wanted to provide an OZZIE & HARRIET funny moment, but alas, it's been so long since I've seen any of them, I can't recall any specific details.

"Gentle humor" - a fabulous descriptor for what I recall of O&H.

Harry

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
What about when Ozzie is dreaming about being in an old-fashioned ice cream parlor. He's playing the banjo and such and when he wakes up Harriet asked him why he kept hitting her on the back and he says he was strumming his banjo. In that same episode he's picking up pebbles tossing them at his neighbor's window to wake him up, and after several attempts picks up a large rock and acts like he's about to throw it up there and then thinks better of it. It's little stuff of that nature that I see throughout each episode and find funny. Sometimes the wisecracks between Ricky and Dave are hilarious. Too many to name because it happens in just about every episode. A lot of that show relied on deadpan humor, to be sure, but it was funny to many people nonetheless. Heck, even supporting cast members like Wally crack me up, like at the end of the Christmas Tree Lot episode when he comes out of the store, dressed as Santa, and says to a woman off camera, "Come on honey or we'll be late for the movie." Enter a large, older woman that earlier in the film had kind of innocently flirted with him (in a humorous way), who says "Okay" or something. Then Wally turns to the camera and says, "Well, after all, it is Christmas" and smiles as he walks off camera. I've seen that many times but it always draws a smile or laugh from me.

Gary "I agree with Harry and others that the humor is 'gentle' as opposed to slapstick most of the time, but it's humor nonetheless" O.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
How about when Ozzie was so worried about Rick's safety riding a motorcycle, but then, at Rick's urging, reluctantly consents to ride on the back of it. If I remember right they ride on a trail in the woods with no one around and Ozzie sticks out his arm for a left turn signal. :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks