What's new

What music to test my subwoofer? (1 Viewer)

Eric_Singer

Agent
Hi,

I just got my Adire Rava yesterday. It is my first subwoofer and I believe I set it up properly. The Xover is set to around 80Hz, the gain is slightly above halfway, and it seems to integrate very well with my Axiom M22 speakers. The problem is, I don't seem to have much music that really takes advantage of it. I certainly notice the extended range and I like it, but what can I try listening to that will really blow me away? Basically, I want to feel as though my investment was worth it =)

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Eric

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Steve_Ma

Second Unit
Eric,
You did not mention it, so I must tell you to make sure you calibrate with the SPL meter, and that the x-over is aproppriate. If your speakers are set to SMALL and the sub connection is the LFE/Sub out, make sure your sub's x-over is at the max setting orf disabled altogether. If I didn't mention this, someone else would have. Now onto the fun stuff. Here is some of my favorite MUSICAL and BASS CENTRIC material. They are all clean recordings as well.
Enjoy,
--Steve
* Sara McLachlan - Mirrorball (live). great kick drums and live bass guitar. Probably my fav female vocal disk.
* Led Zeppelin - Remasters disks. John Bonham. nuff said.
* David Gray - White Ladder - Really low musical bass (must be synth, because I don't know instruments that do that :)
* Dire Straits - Dire Straits. Clean guitar and bass work on a classic Album.
* Robert Cray - Strong Persuader - A great R&B disk with some great basslines.
* I Mother Earth - Scenery and Fish - A lesser known canadian band. Cool fusion of metal, funk, and blues. Fast and complicated bass.

Brian Kleinke

Supporting Actor
Eric,
If you like classical music, hunt down some music with strong low organ or bass parts.
It basically depends on what kind of bass you like. Do you want really low bass, or strong active bass?
I still like movies best to show off the power of my SVS. Nothing like showing people the buildings blowing up in Fight Club :)
Brian

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Blue Man Group, their DVD has some awesome bass. Any Kodo disc will have some impressive bass as well.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Sara McLachlan - Surfacing - there's a couple really good low bass tracks on there. I think track 2 or 3?

Bruce Cockburn has good bass.

Jean Luc Ponty.

Depeche Mode and New Order.

Also, watch TV. You'd be amazed at the low bass content of a lot of TV shows.

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
My favorite bass demo CD is Erykah Badu's BADUIZM. It isn't really my type of music, but wow does it have some deep bass! Another that I've enjoyed is Alison Krause's NOW THAT I'VE FOUND YOU.

A good music DVD for upright bass and bass guitar is Jonatha Brooke's STEADY PULL. It's a combination disc with DVD-AUDIO on one side and DVD-Video on the other, using DD stereo, DD 5.1 and DTS tracks. Another really good music DVD for smooth bass guitar and drums is Glen Phillips' ABULUM. It's a single-sided disc which will play DVD-AUDIO on DVD-A players and DD 5.1 on standard players.

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
Sade Lovers Live...Actually any Sade CD.

Also any Patrick O'Hearn.

Try the Lord of the Rings Soundtrack.

Jorge M

Stunt Coordinator
Although you might not be into it, Electronic and Dance music typically take advantage of the subwoofer. Try The Chemical Brother's "Dig Your Own Hole", especially tracks 3 and 6. Also anything from Moby, Fatboy Slim, or The Prodigy.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
* Sara McLachlan - Mirrorball (live). great kick drums and live bass guitar. Probably my fav female vocal disk.
Good disc, but IMO better than that is Sarah's acoustic album "The Freedom Sessions" Plenty of bass on some of the tracks, and stunningly recorded vocals.
I always do sub tests with techno/trance, particularly: BT's "Movements in Still Life" or the more recent "Rare and Remixed". Montsertous bass on some tracks, including one track that has bass that must be in the mid to low 20hz range...:eek:
Orbital - "In Sides", "Orbital 2" - lots of good basslines (not club bass, just good beat).
Chicane - "Far From the Madding Crowd" and "Behind the Sun" - mellow, good bass. Some or all of the members of Clannad gone techno, good stuff. If you know Clannad, you will recognize the "Harry's Game" remix right away.
3 Doors Down - "The Better Life" just plain good rock with plenty of guitar and percussion.
The Cure - Remixed - crazy bass.
Eric Clapton: Unplugged - just a great disc.
Any album from Nine Inch Nails. The recently released DVD is great.
Moby's "Play" on DVD. Does not include most of the album tracks, but it is an excellent companion to the album, and the sound is better by far. "Moby's Megamix" is a 90 minutes of good stuff, and there are also some very cool live performances on there.

SteveF

Grip
Hi Eric - Dr. Hsu (Hsu research) provided a list of recommended DVDs and CDs as part of this interview. Look at the bottom where he sent in his full set of recommendations following the interview.

SanfordL

Stunt Coordinator
1812 Overture. Without a doubt, it'll SHRED
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif
a Sub if it is not worthy. Just remember, 8 hz isn't something to play with and when those cannons go off, it hits 8hz. You also might check out Pigface. Can't remember the CD, but Fu@k it Up will give you some nice chest thumping bass. Just check the track names at your local indy. music store.

Iian M

Auditioning
Metallica : One (kick drum = "Damn another filling fell out!")

Therion : Secrets of the Runes (similar to Metallica)

Type O Negative's version of Black Sabbath is also something to terrify the neighbor's with.

I think the most potent bass (guitar) I ever heard was KISS : I Still Love You. I'd like to see anyone take that at loud levels. I'd be impressed. I Love It Loud is another good high output song. If you can stand them that is.... : )

Forgot about the Titanic Soundtrack.. some dynamically deep bass on that cd.

Steve Alan

Agent
Maxwell-Embrya, just play the first track.

I didn't know what my sub could do until I played this. When I first got my sub I played almost all rap CDs, looking for the deepest, hardest hitting stuff, and it was weeks before I played the Maxwell cd. I was amazed to say the least at how much more bass there was in this song than in anything else I had played up to that point.

Also, Eminem's track (#4) off of Funkmaster Flex's "The Tunnel" CD has some real good deep stuff!!

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
THe music area had a thread on bassy CDs awhile back.. HEre are some i can remember:

Any Korn Album (especially track 1 on their first CD, blind i think its called)

Soundtrack - Titanic (The whole CD really, lotsa deep bass)

Alanis Morisette - Uninvited form the CITY OF ANGELS SOUNDTRACK

the CREED CDs

There are more in the FAQ section of SVSubwoofers.com

Frank Zimkas

Supporting Actor
Try Pink Floyd-Live-Delicate Sound of Thunder. The song "Dogs of War" will give your sub a sweat inducing work-out!

Kerry Hackney

Stunt Coordinator
Eric, if you are into pop try Madonna's Music CD, Track 1

Peter Gabrial - SO / Sledge Hammer

George Michael - Older

Tony Braxton - Secrets

Sting - Brand New Day

Oh yeah,, if you buy the Telarc 1812 Overture, start slow. The cannons don't go off until about the 10 minute mark and they are way above the level of the rest. I don't think you could hurt the Rava but it will sure scare the crap out of you. More than anything it will cause your amp to clip which can fry speakers in a hurry.

Steve-sas

Agent
I have to agree with Kerry on Peter Gariel's "So". "Sledgehammer" is good but there are several tracks that will give a sub a workout.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bromleygarden
Recent bookmarks