What's new

What kind of Movie Director would you be? (1 Viewer)

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
we all are a fan of films. we might have different taste in films.. we all have our favorite directors.. this thread is not about who is better or worse kind of director. this thread.. if you were a filmmaker. what kind of director would you be? a combination of directors. this is open to anyone. from past to present to Spielberg to michael bay. I am going to start here.

my 3 favorite directors:

1) tim burton
I would use the outsider status like batman, penquin type of characters.

2) paul verhoeven
I would use more of his extreme style of sex and violences in movies.

3) james cameron
I would use epic, character driven, action that shows in many of camerons movies.

enjoy:

Jacob

Scott D S

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott Saslow
Interesting question. Okay, here we go...

-Steven Spielberg - his natural storytelling abilities; fluid camerawork (trying to get everything in a master with a minimum of cuts); often seamless visual effects work (Crystal Skull notwithstanding); works with many of the same crew members from film to film (Williams, Kaminsky, Kahn, etc.) which is what I'd do, whereas some filmmakers seem to work with different people on every film

-John Landis in his prime - ability to mix genres (horror comedy, action musical comedy, etc.), lack of cynicism, deadpan humor, larger than life characters and physical gags, great music (both songs and Elmer Bernstein's bombastic comedy scores), a real appreciation for comedy and film history, recurring director Easter Eggs ("See you next Wednesday" for example)

-Tim Burton - the production and costume design is just as important as the characters and story, his ability to create a universe with each new film, works with many of the same crew members from film to film (Elfman, Lebenzon, Atwood, etc.), his POV as a loner and outsider and sympathy for similar characters, seems to view love as a fairy tale

I'm not saying I'd ever be as good as these guys; these are simply qualities I notice and would wish to emulate.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I would try to emulate several of the techniques employed by Hitchcock and Truffaut, as they are my two favorite directors. :emoji_thumbsup:

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I have no idea what kind of director I'd be, but I can answer what type of director I'd like to be, by sharing traits from some of my favorite directors (and maybe some of the good instincts of some not-so-great directors).

1) Michael Mann - he is the hardest to nail down. I love his films, and I have a hard time verbalizing exactly why. His economy is breathtaking, and he frames shots like no one else. He invokes his themes visually, whereas most directors rely on dialogue (or worse, exposition), and this is a tremendous talent. He also is one of the very best at matching music to scene-specific visuals. A complete professional at his job.

2) Terrence Malick - this is very presumptuous of me. Because Malick is probably twice as smart and observant as I am, I could never hope to match his ability. What I love about Malick is that he brings fresh eyes to old situations and stories. It is literally like you are experiencing something for the first time with his films. This sounds pretentious, and I don't mean it to be so, but he is capable of using the right shots to enable his audience to subconsciously make connections. It's subtle and powerful. He also chooses the most beautiful shots ever
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

3) Big Jim Cameron - Cameron is a thinker. His dialogue is sometimes poor, but his scripts are always very strong. Few directors know the audience better. His characters exist, not just in the two hour runtime, but within the established framework of his universe. That lends a tremendous amount of believability to his films. He is also very creative in his action sequences, while always ensuring geography, motivation, and movements are understandable to viewers.

4) David Fincher - perfectionist. Uses visual effects much better than most. Rarely for spectacle, but for storytelling. Methodical. Dark sense of humor. Master of light and shadow.

5) Guillermo del Toro - just for his imagination. He can blend creepy, beautiful, whimsical, and horrifying better than anyone.

Other directors I love: Martin Scorcese, Brad Bird, Steven Spielberg, Chris Nolan, Ridley Scott, Darren Aronofsky, Peter Jackson, the Wachowski Brothers, the Coen Brothers, Bob Zemeckis

And this is only scratching the surface.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks