What's new

What is the problem w/ Warner and Blu-Ray?? (1 Viewer)

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
Dave, I really hope Warner gets off of their duff on these BD releases. All three are would be great buys.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Really people, WB wants to sell those titles & all the HD DVD released titles on BD.
It's not WB fault BD isn't ready.
BD knew this would create a hang-up for studios. They knew it & there is nothing they could do about it. Because the specs were not ready when the format was launched. It's BD's fault, pure & simple!

People really think WB doesn't want to make $$$ off of BD?
What in the world gave anyone that idea?
Not WB, who has said repeatedly it will release on both formats.

Isn't there WB titles on BD & not the Zombie discs?
We all know BD got better transfers of the 1080i fiasco discs on HD DVD.
Yet, WB is against BD???
Weird.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

I understand that for titles like Batman, but that doesn't explain while the likes of Casablanca and Forbidden Planet haven't been released on Blu-ray. Honestly I'm not sure what the hold up is there.

Doug

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

Douglas, I think Ed is referring to the 'bobbed' transfers on Full Metal Jacket and Enter the Dragon, etc., but as far as I know the same transfers that found there way on HD DVD are on BD.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
No!
I don't believe it!!
Are you serious!!!
I'm going to check out reviews of those titles now. WB didn't fix that? That's criminal. Sure the HD DVD's got out, then the problem became apparent. However, the BD's were released after (I know, its a conspiracy!) the 'bobbed' transfers were known to be 540p.
Sick.

EDitEDbyED:
Just checked HiDef Digest reviews for:
Enter the Dragon; It shows up six months later & looks to have the same problem (not confirmed).
FMJ: Different encoding (MPEG 2) yet appears to be from the same source (again, not confirmed).

I feel bad for Blu-ray (not really) & happy for the Zombie. Yet inbareassed for WB.
One format was bad enough, just two is worse.

My deepest apologies for spreading mis-info (I know how much that bugs me!), I thought WB was better than that, I was WRONG!

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

*sigh* What do you want a link of? You want me to provide a link backing up a statement that you made? That's rich. OK.

Here are your links:

HD DVD Historical Release Dates:

http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/relea...istorical.html

BD Historical Release Dates:

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/rele...istorical.html

See any Warner titles on the BD link that aren't on the HD DVD link? I don't. Of those that aren't on the BD link but are on the HD DVD link, the following are non-IME titles:

Casablanca
Forbidden Planet
Forbidden Planet Ultimate Collector's Set
Mutiny on the Bounty
Excalibur
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Fatory
Polar Express
Adventures of Robin Hood, The
Grand Prix
Caddyshack
Perfect Storm, The

I would personally buy five of those titles and consider more.

Jason Roer

Supporting Actor
Wow. I thought at least Casablanca was on Bluray. Jeez - that does suck. Casablanca and Robin Hood are such incredible films, wonderful transfers, and deserve to be on both formats. This really pisses me off. I think the whole damn war is just damn annoying. There are too many great films out there and just like Laserdisc, the people making the purchases are FILM FANS! We deserve better! I really don't want to have 2 HD machines in my system - though if this war goes on much longer, I will pick up a Bluray player. It's really a shame there is such ridiculous greed out there.

Sorry for the rant. But I spent the day cleaning out the closets - getting rid of tons of junk before my son arrives! And I'm freakin' wiped out, between that and the heavy workout this morning. Yeesh. Going to see Sicko with my wife in a few minutes - hopefully I won't fall asleep. Looking forward to it - ah , sitting in a cool theater and hopefully not thinking about how it would be nice to see it get released on HD-DVD some day if only Lionsgate would go neutral. :)

Cheers,

Jason

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Isn't it clear that there's a very serious production problem with BD? I think that the simple answer is that many, many releases are in the waiting queue. The bottle-neck (literally) seems to be the BD50 plant (not so much BD25).

It's not just Warner who's not releasing, or relatively sparsely. Remember Fox? See much from any of the others?

Cees

---------------------------------------------------------------------
I am format neutral - it's many studios, that's who are not.
And a few fanboys and followers.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Could be Cees but also look at other regions getting BD titles like The Rock & Con Air, and in Poland they're getting the HD DVD of Mr. & Mrs. Smith from Fox! It's just been released. Tony from xploited Cinema is going to have these soon like he's done with other HD DVD imports.

I do think there's more here than meets the eye-otherwise why the delay of such titles when they were previously announced but are now available elsewhere?

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Tim,

Those HD DVD releases elsewhere of titles waiting to come out on BD, strengthen my feeling that there must be a production delay somewhere in the BD pipeline.

Cees

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
You make a good point.

I should clarify one thing to make sure this was clear. The Rock & Con Air are available NOW on Blu-ray in the UK. Mr. & Mrs. Smith is available NOW in Poland and somewhere else? on HD DVD....

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I wonder if the bottleneck for movies is due to Sony allocating a majority of BD disc production for PS3 games? Sales of games have to be outstripping BD movie sales, even with the "low" sales of PS3s. If Sony can't produce enough blanks then most of the ones produced are going to end up being used for the more lucrative game market.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Interesting point. Are all PS3 games distributed on BD?

Cees

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Cees,
I believe so.

Another possible bottleneck is BD+ which is being tested. Some studios like Fox won't release titles without it.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

Autobots wage their battle to destory the evil forces oooooofffff... the Decepticons!

Sorry, my son and I saw Transformers today, and I couldn't resist. :)

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
BD50 had been slow to ramp up a few months back. I'm not sure if that's the problem with WB getting "classics" out on BD or not.

FOX's issue is unrealted to BD50 production (BD+).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks