What is S/PDIF

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Srinivas Reddy, Nov 6, 2001.

1. Srinivas Reddy

Can it be connected directly to a DD/DTS receiver ?
    What kind of cable does it use ?
    How long can the cable be run ?
    I saw a Sigma Hollywood Plus card for $50 and I already have a DVD ROM. I want to experiment this connecting to a TV because it can playback PAL on a NTSC TV.
    How long can the S-Video cable be ?
    Thanks for any guidance.
    ------------------
    SR Loka
    Scientists see the world as it is, Engineers create a world that has never been
    Under Construction(Always): http://www.geocities.com/ls_reddy

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

3. Scott Falkler

Scott Falkler Second Unit

Sony/Philips Digital Interface
    I have one running from a Sound Blaster Live Platinum (front panel Live! Drive connection) using a 20+ foot RCA cable to my Yamaha RXV-995, and it is the best thing ever to hear my audio files on my main stereo!
    (I tried a stereo RCA connection before, but picked up too much noise, but since it's digital now, no noise!)

4. Srinivas Reddy

Thanks Guys!
    I think I will go ahead and buy it.

5. Steve Berger

Steve Berger Supporting Actor

I got my last Hollywood + for $36. One of my PCs has about 65 feet of wiring to the TV. The decoder (not the sound card)will pass DD/DTS on a coax output (which can be converted to toslink optical with a $15 device). I found I could send s-video on cat5 cable without interference but composite started to distort after about 35 feet. You will need software like Zone Selector to change regions without locking the card after 5 changes. You should check out the SigmaDesigns newsgroup for a LOT of info on getting it to work and all the tweaking needed. If you get it working the TV picture is very good and a lot of options open up. One hack can actually give you a progressive component output to feed an HDTV ready TV! Good luck.