What's new

What console games would you recommend for someone bored with console games? (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'm suffering some gaming malaise, and I'd appreciate some suggestions.

I'm an occaisional gamer and am a few years behind the curvie. But the few games I do play tend to be best-of-class. I'm finding my GameCube to be a letdown right now. The NGC "greats" don't compare well to games from several years ago.

SSX Tricky was a lot of fun, and I play that once in a while, but I miss the story of more linear games. That's probably been the best game overall I've played on my NGC. It's a pretty good followup from my beloved 1080 on the N64. Maybe SSX3 is a worth trying.

I've got Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3, and it's enjoyable but never really grabbed me since it was so similar to the fantastic THPS2 on the PC.

Super Mario Sunshine started off strong, but quickly became too difficult. And it's just not as compelling a game as I expected.

Rogue Leader is gorgeous and sounds great, but too hard for my occaisional playing. It's also a let down from Rogue Squadron on the N64. RS seemed to offer more freedoms in playig the levels, and the goals flowed more smoothly. RL is more staccato with much tighter time limits. I feel like I'm being pushed around.

I've borrowed a few games from a friend. Soul Caliber is pretty, but it's basically a juiced up version of my N64 Killer Instinct.

Metroid Prime is well-executed but nowhere near the quality of Half-Life (for the PC). I'm don't understand the rave reviews it received. It also suffers from typical console game weaknesses including limited save points, control issues, and features that remind that I'm playing a game (rather than immersing me in an engaging world). And stylistically, I think Jet Force Gemini (for the N64) exceeds it in every way.

Legend of Zelda: The WindWaker -- it should be called Legend of Zelda: The GrassCutter or perhaps the Legend of Zelda: The BarrelHider. I was immediately turned off by the need to read sub-titles and bleeble-bloobing talk of the characters. For an "A" title released in 2003 I expect voices. And after a few hours, I've found it dull with little action. It just doesn't bode well when the first exciting event of a game is getting to cut grass.

I've not tried Eternal Darkness, Viewtiful Joe, or any of the RE games. F-Zero X sounded interesting, but I'm guessing it's far too hard for my tastes right now.

Are there any games for the Gamecube with the zest and creativity of Jet Force Gemini, Wetrix, or Beetle Adventure Racing?

Are there any console games that approach the near perfection of Half-Life or Starcraft?

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
If your computer can handle it, pick up Far Cry. It's a great game! :emoji_thumbsup: I don't own a GC so I can't help you out there.

Jonathan Carter

Supporting Actor
Since you asked about Gamecube console games specifically, go get Eternal Darkness. Viewtiful Joe is one of the hardest games in the past few yyears so don't even bother with it if you don't want a challenge. As for Metroid Prime, it's not a FPS so comparing it to Half-Life will definantly be a problem.

Also,pick up Mario Kart if you have some buddies to play with.The RE games are ok, but Eternal Darkness surpasses them in every aspect, including the most important one of all, ease of control. Not to mention it has an incredible storyline that spans several centuries.

I sold my Cube a coupel of weeks ago because there wasn't much else coming out for it in the next year that I was interested in but if you haven't explored it's current library (or given it a chance) and you already have the system, pick up Kart and Eternal Darkness.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'll give Eternal Darkness a whirl in the next few weeks. I don't mind really hard games, at least in theory, but I don't have time to play them -- I'm always relearning the challenging techniques and it's just frustrating.

My PC is long in the tooth (P3 450Mhz) so current PC games have to wait until I upgrade. That likely includes Far Cry and Halo.

I'm not sure why Metroid isn't considered an FPS. But as an experience, I find it pales compared to Half-Life.

Jonathan Carter

Supporting Actor
Well, Metroid is more of a First Person Adventure. The games level design is set up a lot like a 3D adventure/platformer. You can't strafe around corners and drop enemies like you can in a standard FPS. It took me a while to get used to that fact and I never fully embraced it, but comparing it Half-Life is comparing apples and oranges. They are 2 very different games with different play styles. Both are great though.

As for enjoying hard games, I found Viewtiful Joe to be really good but very hard and with the save game setup it had, it became more of a chore to play it than I was willing to put up with. I'm not willing to spend hours on 1 game level, continuously having to restart the thing. It's pretty much like the old NES Mega-Man games if you've ever played those. Lots of pattern memorization and frantic button mashing. Fun, but to me, ultimantly more frustrating than I'd like. You could play on kids mode instead of adults mode, but I couldn't bring myself to do that.

With that PC you have though, it's no wonder you still measure every other game by Half-Life. Whenever you decide to upgrade you are in for a treat with all the games you've missed.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Yep. But I expected that the NGC would have some best-of-class games, but I'm finding that's not really the case.

If VJ is that tough, I'll avoid buying it -- maybe rent later on.

I'm holding off on the PC upgrade until HL2. I've still got Deus X, System Shock II, and FreeSpace to play on the PC. :)

Jonathan Carter

Supporting Actor
Well, I would consider Mario Kart to best of class for that specific genre, Metroid Prime is best of class also (even though it's a hybrid class) and RE4 looks like it could put the franchise back on course and be best of class also. Zelda is good also but it's it's own style of game so it's hard to find any direct competition for it.

My main problem with the system (and the N64) is that there just aren't enough 3rd party games and the stuff that's multiconsole is starting to drop Gamecube completely and just do the games for PS2 and Xbox. Nintendo has good franchise games but you can only play so many Zelda and Mario games before you get sick of them and want to see something new.

Having only 2-3 great games a year isn't getting the job done (especially when in the case of the Resident Evil series and Metal Gear Solid:TS, the games have been played before on 2 other systems), and it definantly won't be good enough for next generations console war with the PS3 and Xbox 2. They need to innovate, produce, kiss 3rd party ass, and realize online gaming is here to stay, otherwise they will go the way of Sega and only be a software only company for home consoles. They will still be able to make the Gameboys since those are stellar and have an incredible library of games that just gets bigger and better every month.

Dean Martin

Stunt Coordinator
DaveF, you have offered some really good one line reviews for all of those games. As a matter of fact I'm wondering why I have a lot of those on my shelf and am not trading them in since I have gotten malaise from those myself.

Recent games that Ihave played and have pulled me into an enjoyable storyline would be the Suffering, although it's a bit short, and Deus Ex. I like games that the story immerses you in the action. I thought Mafia would do that for me but it seems the console version has been botched. I'm still enjoying Call of Duty whihc I play occasionally at the PC. I'm taking my time savoring each level.

With respect to Eternal Darkness, i really enjoyed that game and that style of game really isn't my bag. It isn't too hard but yet it's addictive and the insanity and spell use really plays a good part in the game. It is one of my top picks of the new consoles.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I've noticed that lately. Though I don't play a lot of games, I keep tabs. The N64 had some top-flight 3rd party games; I don't find that same spark for the GC. But perhaps I'm just swinging out of console mode and should play more PC games for a while.

Dean - I'll keep an eye out for The Suffering. I need to try Eternal Darkness; everyone says how good it is.

I'm continuing to play Metroid:Prime. It's fun and and has interesting levels, but I keep wanting more from it.

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
Dave,

The simplest answer to your problem is to get another console and enjoy all the A++ titles you may have missed. Specifically - Halo, KOTOR, Ninja Gaiden for Xbox - Vice City, Jak, Ratchet, FFX(2) for PS2.

With all the recent price drops and used on eBay, it's a great time to pick up another box.

Dean Martin

Stunt Coordinator
I don't know if I would *buy* the suffering but give it a rent. I know a certain magazine just gave it a 5 out of ten while some other reviews were much higher indicating it may not be everyone's cup of tea.

Jonathan L

Stunt Coordinator
Dave,

I was horribly disappointed with Metroid Prime as well. Of course being a Quake 1 guy, it just seems like I never get along with any sort of FPS on a console ;)

Jonathan Carter mentioned Viewtiful Joe...yes, it's most definitely difficult, but I've also found it to be one of the most enjoyable games I've played through in a long, long time. If you were ever into the old Mega Man games on the NES, it's worth a shot. Capcom managed to capture some of that old Mega Man lightning in a bottle one more time...it's one of those games that while it can be maddeningly hard, it's not so much that it turns you off, and you're King of the World when you finally beat it :)

I'm not sure how far into Zelda you've gotten, but playing all the way through I found it worth the slow start.

Rogue Leader can definitely try your patience...you might want to give the 3rd one a try, Rebel Strike. Not sure if it was just that Rogue Leader forced me to get good, but Rebel Strike felt like they cranked the difficulty down a bit.

Ultimately I'm in the same boat as you, I'm frustrated with the lack of killer games on the GCN. It's by far my favorite system of the 3. I can't stand the Xbox, but I finally broke down and got a PS2 about a month ago, just for Final Fantasy X and X-2. Nintendo needs to stop mucking around with the "gee whiz we're different" nonsense and just put out a system with a plain-old DVD drive.

PerryD

Supporting Actor
If you want creativity, the Gamecube has plenty of great games that fit your bill. Try Animal Crossing, Super Monkey Ball 1 & 2, or Pikmin, all available pretty cheap nowadays. I'm looking forward to Donkey Konga myself along with Pikmin 2. A recent $20 budget game release Bomberman Jetters is a blast with 4 player action. If you like racing, one of the best is available in Burnout 2 at $20 also I think. I just picked up Midway Arcade Treasures for $20 and played through a few games of Root Beer Tapper, Klax, and Rampart just today.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks