What's new

What about a BOOK section? (1 Viewer)

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
When not watching DVDs and between my classes... I love to read... mostly controversial literature that I don't understand (IE: Walden, Fight Club, A Clockwork Orange, The Inferno)
crazy.gif
I know that is crazy talk for a teenager to be reading upon their own will anything other than a Britney Spear's biography in this day and age :)
anyways... I was wondering if there has ever been talk of adding a BOOK section in Home Theater Forum?
Thanks!
------------------
Robert Lutter

My DVD Collection
Link Removed Software Reviewer (Coming Soon!)

Jeff_A

Screenwriter
Interesting suggestion, Rob. I visit the DVD Talk Forum on a daily basis (and almost exclusively) for the great discussion in their BOOK section. If it weren't there, I don't know that I would visit their site as often. I would love to see your suggestion implemented. :)
------------------
The Dark Tower
jamaris1.jpg

Roman Polanski's - The Fearless Vampire Killers?

Dominik Droscher

Supporting Actor
I also thought about suggesting a books section. I am always looking for good book discussion groups on the net but couldn't yet find one which satisfies me completely.

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
I know that is crazy talk for a teenager to be reading upon their own will anything other than a Britney Spear's biography in this day and age.
Hey, hey, hey! Don't insult the Britney Spears' biography! It's a classy book.
Also, don't stereotype teenagers like that. They usually just read books that they used to read back in 5th or 6th grade during reading time. :)
As myself, I read every now and then (just got finished with If Chins Could Kill and Brain Droppings). :)
I'm another member who would like a book area at the HTF. I'd love to see what books other HTF members would recommend for me to read.
------------------
mynewsig.jpg

Link Removed - DVD Reviewer
Link Removed / AOL IM: MrMatthew / ICQ: 96444542
"I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class. Especially since I rule."

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
I've thought about a book section as well, and would love to see one. Perhaps when the new server is up and running...
------------------
He thought on homeland, the big timber, the air thin and chill all the year long. Tulip poplars so big through the trunk they put you in mind of locomotives set on end. He thought of getting home and building him a cabin on Cold Mountain so high that not a soul but the nighthawks passing across the clouds in autumn could hear his sad cry. Of living a life so quiet he would not need ears. And if Ada would go with him, there might be the hope, so far off in the distance he did not even really see it, that in time his despair might be honed off to a point so fine and thin that it would be nearly the same as vanishing.
-- Charles Frazier, Cold Mountain

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
Books are my third favorite obsession behind DVDs and CDs. So I too would welcome a books/reading forum here ... however, it really doesn't fit into Home Theater at all. All of the other forums are related to home theater, at least tangentially (is that even a word?). Music is played on the same HT equipment. Same with the gaming stuff. Books are completely different. I would welcome a books forum, but if the owners decide not to have one, I would understand.
------------------
DVDs | CDs
"[T]he greatest films teach us to appreciate them, while lesser films simply cater to our desire for immediate gratification. Great films make audiences better; bad films make audiences worse." --- Roger Ebert

John Torrez

Second Unit
I would like one too, books are my second favorite thing to do behind listening to music and after watch movies.
------------------
"They're all gonna laugh at you!"

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
You know what? I'll talk it over with Parker.
But, really....how does BOOKS relate to
Home Theater? This is a Home Theater forum.
Still, I'll talk it over with my partner.
------------------
ronbo.jpg

Ronald Epstein (pronounced like the English "Ronald Epstein")
Circa 2000
Home Theater Forum Administrator
All forum questions & to get on our private forum mailing list (new members)... Email: [email protected]
Problems with the webpage or site? Contact WEBMASTER
Email Packy [email protected]

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor
But, really....how does BOOKS relate to
Home Theater? This is a Home Theater forum.
True, but what do the After Hours, Movies and Polls areas have to do with home theater? Not much, but I get a lot of useful information from all three. I'd imagine a Book section would be just as beneficial.
------------------
Have you ever noticed anyone driving slower than you is an idiot? And anyone driving faster than you is a maniac!! - George Carlin
ICQ: 55259446 (or just search for "John Shaft"...can you dig?)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Kevin,
Without movies there wouldn't be home theater!
wink.gif
By the way, I'm not in favor of adding another forum section to police.
Crawdaddy
------------------

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the response everybody!
btw Matthew (sorry about the Britney Spears comment, just couldn't help myself
biggrin.gif
), I actually just bought Napalm and Silly Putty the other day and am just about to start it next week...
------------------
Robert Lutter

My DVD Collection
Link Removed Software Reviewer (Coming Soon!)

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor
Not to stray off-topic (or is this on-topic?
wink.gif
) but Rob:
I actually just bought Napalm and Silly Putty the other day and am just about to start it next week...
Better be prepared for a massive letdown.
------------------
Have you ever noticed anyone driving slower than you is an idiot? And anyone driving faster than you is a maniac!! - George Carlin
ICQ: 55259446 (or just search for "John Shaft"...can you dig?)

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
If you've ever heard any Carlin CDs or seen his concerts, you've already "read" his newest book. Kevin is on-target: a massive letdown.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
quote: But, really....how does BOOKS relate to
Home Theater? This is a Home Theater forum.[/quote]
Well, at the core of HT is movies and there are all kinds of books on movies, movie-making, and directors. There are film-related biographies, film adaptations, and screenplays. And then we have Stephen King books which are always turned into movies anyway! However, I wouldn't want an HTF book forum to be limited solely to film topics.
I think it's worth a shot!
BTW, how about an Emmanuelle Beart Worship Forum?
biggrin.gif

Edit: read my sig and tell me it doesn't make you want to read the book....beautiful prose!
------------------
He thought on homeland, the big timber, the air thin and chill all the year long. Tulip poplars so big through the trunk they put you in mind of locomotives set on end. He thought of getting home and building him a cabin on Cold Mountain so high that not a soul but the nighthawks passing across the clouds in autumn could hear his sad cry. Of living a life so quiet he would not need ears. And if Ada would go with him, there might be the hope, so far off in the distance he did not even really see it, that in time his despair might be honed off to a point so fine and thin that it would be nearly the same as vanishing.
-- Charles Frazier, Cold Mountain
[Edited last by SteveGon on September 15, 2001 at 10:58 PM]

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
A book section would be great, but I don't know if the mods can handle all the flaming and bitching over Tolkien's Middle Earth sagas or Clancy's Jack Ryan thrillers, we'll be scratching each other's eyes out over which Harry Potter novel is the best, and which cookbook has the best recipes, oh shit sorry I can't stop laughing, no really a book section would be great, no arguements here. :)
ps. I have over 1400 fiction and about 600 non-fiction titles, when do we start chatting?
[Edited last by Steve Christou on September 16, 2001 at 06:07 PM]

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Ron and I talked this over and until we get the new server up and running and get settled in all together with that we are going to hold off on setting this area up. We will consider it at that time.
Thanks,
Parker

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks