What about a BOOK section?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rob Lutter, Sep 14, 2001.

1. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

When not watching DVDs and between my classes... I love to read... mostly controversial literature that I don't understand (IE: Walden, Fight Club, A Clockwork Orange, The Inferno) [​IMG] I know that is crazy talk for a teenager to be reading upon their own will anything other than a Britney Spear's biography in this day and age [​IMG]
    anyways... I was wondering if there has ever been talk of adding a BOOK section in Home Theater Forum?
    Thanks!
    ------------------
    Robert Lutter

My DVD Collection
    The DVD Insider Software Reviewer (Coming Soon!)

2. Jeff_A

Jeff_A Screenwriter

Interesting suggestion, Rob. I visit the DVD Talk Forum on a daily basis (and almost exclusively) for the great discussion in their BOOK section. If it weren't there, I don't know that I would visit their site as often. I would love to see your suggestion implemented. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    The Dark Tower
    [​IMG]
    Roman Polanski's - The Fearless Vampire Killers?

3. Dominik Droscher

Dominik Droscher Supporting Actor

I also thought about suggesting a books section. I am always looking for good book discussion groups on the net but couldn't yet find one which satisfies me completely.

4. Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel Cinematographer

5. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

I've thought about a book section as well, and would love to see one. Perhaps when the new server is up and running...
    ------------------
    He thought on homeland, the big timber, the air thin and chill all the year long. Tulip poplars so big through the trunk they put you in mind of locomotives set on end. He thought of getting home and building him a cabin on Cold Mountain so high that not a soul but the nighthawks passing across the clouds in autumn could hear his sad cry. Of living a life so quiet he would not need ears. And if Ada would go with him, there might be the hope, so far off in the distance he did not even really see it, that in time his despair might be honed off to a point so fine and thin that it would be nearly the same as vanishing.
    -- Charles Frazier, Cold Mountain

6. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

Books are my third favorite obsession behind DVDs and CDs. So I too would welcome a books/reading forum here ... however, it really doesn't fit into Home Theater at all. All of the other forums are related to home theater, at least tangentially (is that even a word?). Music is played on the same HT equipment. Same with the gaming stuff. Books are completely different. I would welcome a books forum, but if the owners decide not to have one, I would understand.
    ------------------
    DVDs | CDs
    "[T]he greatest films teach us to appreciate them, while lesser films simply cater to our desire for immediate gratification. Great films make audiences better; bad films make audiences worse." --- Roger Ebert

7. John Torrez

John Torrez Second Unit

I would like one too, books are my second favorite thing to do behind listening to music and after watch movies.
    ------------------
    "They're all gonna laugh at you!"

8. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    You know what? I'll talk it over with Parker.
    But, really....how does BOOKS relate to
    Home Theater? This is a Home Theater forum.
    Still, I'll talk it over with my partner.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    Ronald Epstein (pronounced like the English "Ronald Epstein")
    Circa 2000
    Home Theater Forum Administrator
    All forum questions & to get on our private forum mailing list (new members)... Email: hometheaterforum@home.com
    Problems with the webpage or site? Contact WEBMASTER
    Email Packy packy@hometheaterforum.com

9. Kevin Leonard

Kevin Leonard Supporting Actor

10. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Kevin,
    Without movies there wouldn't be home theater! [​IMG] By the way, I'm not in favor of adding another forum section to police.
    Crawdaddy
    ------------------

11. Dominik Droscher

Dominik Droscher Supporting Actor

12. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

Thanks for the response everybody!
    btw Matthew (sorry about the Britney Spears comment, just couldn't help myself [​IMG] ), I actually just bought Napalm and Silly Putty the other day and am just about to start it next week...
    ------------------
    Robert Lutter

My DVD Collection
    The DVD Insider Software Reviewer (Coming Soon!)

13. Kevin Leonard

Kevin Leonard Supporting Actor

Not to stray off-topic (or is this on-topic? [​IMG] ) but Rob:

14. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

If you've ever heard any Carlin CDs or seen his concerts, you've already "read" his newest book. Kevin is on-target: a massive letdown.

15. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

quote: But, really....how does BOOKS relate to
    Home Theater? This is a Home Theater forum.[/quote]
    Well, at the core of HT is movies and there are all kinds of books on movies, movie-making, and directors. There are film-related biographies, film adaptations, and screenplays. And then we have Stephen King books which are always turned into movies anyway! However, I wouldn't want an HTF book forum to be limited solely to film topics.
    I think it's worth a shot!
    BTW, how about an Emmanuelle Beart Worship Forum? [​IMG]
    Edit: read my sig and tell me it doesn't make you want to read the book....beautiful prose!
    ------------------
    He thought on homeland, the big timber, the air thin and chill all the year long. Tulip poplars so big through the trunk they put you in mind of locomotives set on end. He thought of getting home and building him a cabin on Cold Mountain so high that not a soul but the nighthawks passing across the clouds in autumn could hear his sad cry. Of living a life so quiet he would not need ears. And if Ada would go with him, there might be the hope, so far off in the distance he did not even really see it, that in time his despair might be honed off to a point so fine and thin that it would be nearly the same as vanishing.
    -- Charles Frazier, Cold Mountain
    [Edited last by SteveGon on September 15, 2001 at 10:58 PM]

16. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    A book section would be great, but I don't know if the mods can handle all the flaming and bitching over Tolkien's Middle Earth sagas or Clancy's Jack Ryan thrillers, we'll be scratching each other's eyes out over which Harry Potter novel is the best, and which cookbook has the best recipes, oh shit sorry I can't stop laughing, no really a book section would be great, no arguements here. [​IMG]
    ps. I have over 1400 fiction and about 600 non-fiction titles, when do we start chatting?
    [Edited last by Steve Christou on September 16, 2001 at 06:07 PM]

17. Brent Cantrell

Brent Cantrell Second Unit

18. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Ron and I talked this over and until we get the new server up and running and get settled in all together with that we are going to hold off on setting this area up. We will consider it at that time.
    Thanks,
    Parker