What's new

Went to Costco for the First Time and... (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
They carried Samsung, Sony, and LG TVs. May have forgotten a brand. My eyes were popping out of my sockets looking at the 77” (or close to that) LG OLED. Just stunning. It was $3500 or $3600. Then they had an LG 8K. They were showing what I believe is true 8K content, probably produced for demos. It was closeups of bottles of sparkling wine, maybe some juice too. Of course it was beatiful, but it came with the ugly price of $20K. To soften the damage, Costco included a $5K shop card. Jeez, you could buy the LG 4K OLED with the card.

No model numbers, we weren’t in the shopping mode. Just wanted to express how stunning the TV’s were.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I think every one of the 6 TV's in my home came from Costco. Some here will disparage their sets as not having the latest models/features and they're not wrong but after a certain point it just no longer matters for me. Modern TV's are awesome, even at the lower end. Besides, I have my projector for critical viewing. You can get the warranty of any set you buy extended absolutely free and they also have the most generous [90 days for TV's and electronics] return policy of any major retailer I'm aware of. I'll probably be in the neighborhood of a Costco tomorrow and will be looking for that 20K model you mentioned. I'm surprised Costco had something that expensive on the floor.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
I think every one of the 6 TV's in my home came from Costco. Some here will disparage their sets as not having the latest models/features and they're not wrong but after a certain point it just no longer matters for me. Modern TV's are awesome, even at the lower end. Besides, I have my projector for critical viewing. You can get the warranty of any set you buy extended absolutely free and they also have the most generous [90 days for TV's and electronics] return policy of any major retailer I'm aware of. I'll probably be in the neighborhood of a Costco tomorrow and will be looking for that 20K model you mentioned. I'm surprised Costco had something that expensive on the floor.
Completely agree.

I have an HT projection system in the basement for serious watching and four flat screens (2x50", 2x65") around the house that all came from Costco. You get the MFR warranty plus an extra two years if purchased with a Costco card. Sometimes they will add in another two years from a standard service for free. The 90 day, no question asked, return policy is unreal. I upgraded a TV just a few weeks back and decided to try a different brand. The HD output looked great. However, I had a hard time configuring it to handle SD content as well as the TV it was replacing. Yes, I still have enough SD content that it matters to me. I packed it back up, took it to the store, returned it for a more familiar brand, and all is well again. Other places take returns, but it is generally not as easy and I always feel like I'm meant to feel guilty for returning it. Costco makes it painless. I rarely ever return anything to Costco, but it is always nice to know I can. Especially, with electronics.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
My last two big TVs came from Costco.
Some here believe they dumb down or offer lesser quality TVs at clubs and that may have been the case years ago I don’t see any evidence of that anymore.

I bought a 85” Vizio last November. The return policy is actually 90 days but the price match to their own drops is only 30.

It had a drop of $500 about 40 days in. I sent a request in for the refund if the difference. Even though it was past the policy time they still sent me the refund.

Last edited:

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I dunno what the hell you guys are talking about, Costco carries current model year of all major manufacturers usually with their own special sku/model number, and has done so for 20+ years.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
I dunno what the hell you guys are talking about, Costco carries current model year of all major manufacturers usually with their own special sku/model number, and has done so for 20+ years.

The special SKU can SOMETIMES have it's own customizations though and it isn't always easy to determine. A lot of the time it has been something that really is pretty meaningless, sometimes it can be some specific thing reasonably useful but not especially widely desired. It rarely has been anything substantial that affected overall performance and can be as small as some cosmetic changes or an extra or missing connector.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Stores have been doing their own sku/model number for years to make it harder for customers to compare models and prices.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Made my first major purchase from Costco last month - a new washer/dryer. I was leery from purchasing from them the last few years, as I was afraid they did not deliver to my area like most major retailers like Best Buy (I'm in rural Nevada, about 120 miles south of Reno and 315 miles from Las Vegas). I had ordered an upright freezer from RC Willey two years ago, but when I had trouble ordering a dishwasher from them at the end of August, and went thru the hassle of begging my neighbor to use his truck to drive into Reno to pick it up (a nearly five hour round trip), then making it near difficult to order the washer/dryer combo I wanted, I tried Costco again.

Apparently, Costco purchased a delivery/fulfillment company last year (?), and has expanded their delivery area to include my rural area. I only had to wait two weeks for my new appliances to be delivered (I had just missed the cut-off for next week delivery), and it appears they have a truck that comes out my way nearly every week. The delivery team did an adequate job, and although Costco includes all of the necessary attachments like hoses, vent ducts, and power cords (which all of the other big box retailers make you purchase), I was disappointed that Costco only included rubber water inlet hoses for the washer, and not the stainless steel hoses. Luckily, I had an extra pair on hand, as rubber in my dry climate turns brittle very quickly.

If and when I need to replace my non-HDR 65" LG UHD display in the living room, I will probably go with Costco next time around, although I will need to double-check the specs first, as they do still sell some "custom" models that are nearly identical to those found at other stores, in most cases having one less HDMI port or something similar, having sold TVs and appliances for nearly five years in Southern California before moving to rural Nevada.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gigaspin88
Recent bookmarks