What's new

Went from Onkyo 600 to Integra 5.3 (1 Viewer)

MikePeroni

Stunt Coordinator
Well, the threads about the 600s power got me thinking, so I returned to CC. Picked up an Integra 5.3 for only 540.00. So far (1 day) my observations are:

The Integra has the same remote, but all backlit. Its also multi room capable. The gold connectors are very nice. Im running Energy take 5.2s and so far the sound seems slightly clearer and a hair more detailed. I also feel this receiver has more headroom in the amp because at 75 on the dial, its rocking, where as the Onkyo had to be put a little higher. Ill admit the differences are very small but I love it so far, and this baby is here to stay. Not to say the Onkyo isnt great as well, but for the little extra cash, Im very happy.

Mike

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Nick V

Second Unit
Is there a web-page for the integras??

It might be a stupid question, but I can't find one.

MikePeroni

Stunt Coordinator
After another listening session I can tell the bass coming from the Energy sub is definitely tighter and more accurate. The only thing I can think of is the extra reserve power(bigger caps?). Question: Im running the Energys at 100k crossover. Since I selected the crossover in the Integra set-up menu, what difference does the Large/Small selection matter for the 5 speakers?

Thanks, Mike

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
Mike, I'm not sure exactly what your question is, but if your speakers are set to Large, depending on the particulars of the Integra's bass management, it most likely would send the bass signals to the Large speakers and not the sub. Some receivers have an option to send the bass to both the sub and the Large speakers. This is of course non-LFE bass. i.e. signals on the .1 channel of a DTS/DD soundtrack will still go to the subwoofer, I believe, if you have one.

cheers,

--tom

MikePeroni

Stunt Coordinator
I guess what Im asking is: Since the Integra has adjustable crossover (80,100,120hz), what then does selecting large/small do? For instance, if I set the x-over to 100, what does it matter then if I pick large or small, because everthing below 100 is going to the sub...

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
You have to try it out and see (or rather hear). Whenever there are multiple choices for X-over in either speaker size it may well pay you to try them all out with the same music. You would be surprised what you can learn about your speakers (and/or your sub) doing this.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
QuirkyProtection
Recent bookmarks