well bound books

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Jeremy Illingworth, Nov 12, 2005.

1. Jeremy Illingworth

Jeremy Illingworth Supporting Actor

As of late I have been reading the great works of literature and stumbled across the books of Easton Press. They are beautiful, well made books which I would love to add to my library, but they are extremely expensive. Are there any other publishers making nicely bound editions of classics that cost less? I've thought about picking up older editions, but there is really nowhere to buy them here.

jeremy

2. Lucia Duran

Lucia Duran Screenwriter

I have no info to share, but I sometimes just enjoy books for their beauty.

3. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

Expensive?! They'll send you Moby Dick for only $5.95!

4. andrew markworthy

Try the Folio Press. You can sometimes pick up copies relatively cheaply on ebay.

5. Dennis*G

Dennis*G Supporting Actor

gotta love those leather bound Easton books, but yeah, $40/book is up there. You can sometimes find them on ebay for $20-$30 though...

6. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

I find Easton to be a 'racket'. Their style is 'faux' class. But I second Andrew's reference to Folio Press. Often have appropriate illustrations, nice boards, etc. Tho they don't publish enough books of interest for me anymore.

The Modern Library and Everyman's Library series have some decent books.

But I'm afraid, the best advice is to go to used book stores.

The good ones have hard-covered editions, and if they came from book lovers or collectors, can be in great condition.

You'll often find a nice hardcover readable version of a classic, for less than the cost of the same book in a Penguin paperback.

The masses want cheap (and actually, modern paperbacks are often pretty expensive), and colorful. Even modern hard-cover books are generally lousy, ugly type-faces, words crammed, and on top that, with cheap cardboard backs spines, and utilitarian title stamps under the glitzy paper jacket.