What's new

Weekly Roundup 6/4 (1 Viewer)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, Steve_Ch, SeanMc and everyone else. No applause, just Paypal. :laugh:
Kidding.
Dave H, I didn't see Wal-Mart's price on that, but check them out. It *could* be on that $9.96 display and I just missed it (it's a WB title, right?...not gonna run and check cuz I gotta get to work...my PAYING job! :D ).

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I just noticed "Hocus Pocus" this weekend, where the specs list anamorphic widescreen, but at the bottom it says "this film has been modified to fit your screen." Didn't know which was right; left it on the shelf.
[rant]I did not wait for 2 years for Hocus Pocus to arrive, only to have it show up in Pan and Scan. Disney is at the top of this week's shit list. I have a feeling current policy will cause return engagements.[/rant]

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Well, the "Hocus Pocus" box had conflicting info, so I'm not sure which was correct. The fact that they included 1:85 AR in the specs box leads me to think it's probably WS, but until I read a review or hear from someone that's watched it, I'm not buying. :frowning:

Bob-N

Supporting Actor
Nothing in the list for me this week. However, FYI, I'll be picking up There's something about Mary at Circuit City this week at $11.99, a buck cheaper than Target. Been waiting for the price to drop. Anyone see it any cheaper elsewhere?

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Just a note for anyone interested in American History X - the two Walmart stores I called do not carry the DVD.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I have "Mr. Wrong" on LD, it's widescreen and fairly entertaining. Not as funny as it looked in the trailer but worth getting if you can find it for under 10 bucks.
Possibly "Hocus Pocus" has BOTH widescreen and pan and scan? I know that'd make too much sense for Mala Vista, but the movie was only 5 reels long so they could easily do that.
BTW I also have Muppet Treasure Island on laserdisc in WIDESCREEN. If you want this movie try to find the LD and let the folks at Mala Vista know.

David Lawson

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Lawson
Another Wal-Mart question...has The Shawshank Redemption dropped to $9.96 as well? If so, I might have to set foot in that store one more time.

EricCr

Stunt Coordinator
All the copies of Basic Instinct at my Best Buy are the unrated version, so it looks like they went for the extra skin with this one.

Carl Walker

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the heads-up on Krippendorf's Tribe. Since Di$ney in all of its infinite wisdom decided to not only release it pan and scan, but to LIE about the aspect ratio right on the package, that will be one less purchase that I will have to make tomorrow... :thumbsdown:
Instead, I will enjoy two GREAT older comedy DVD's in UHF and Men At Work. Imagine the concept: MGM takes 2 highly-requested comedies and releases them in anamorphic widescreen (with a lot of extras in UHF's case) for the whopping retail price of $9.99 each. :emoji_thumbsup:
Recapping for the ignorant Di$ney executives who are too stupid to understand the concepts laid out before them:
MGM - OAR - :emoji_thumbsup:
Di$ney - Pan and Scan - :thumbsdown:
:angry:

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Bad Company on DVD? I'm pretty sure that's not with Anthony Hopkins and Chris Rock. :) I turned up 2 matches on DVDPS, one's a Western and the other is a concert DVD. Which one you talkin bout Willis?

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Okay, here are two ADDITIONAL titles (in addition to the list I provided in the Roundup) of $9.96 titles at Wal-Mart:
The Right Stuff, Pale Rider.
That's it. Not Shawshank Redemption or American History X. Not anything else you can think of. I'm informed circumspectly that these are the only two ommissions from my Roundup list.
Sorry, guys! It's still a nice list! :)

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
From what I understand, Hocus Pocus is presented at 1.85:1, but the disc is not enhanced for 16x9 televisions.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Aha! Men At Work...I forgot to include that one in the Roundup!
Amazon: $11.21
BB: $9.99
CC: $10.99
No listings at Costco or Sam's Club websites. But for ALL of the catalog titles, check your local stores. Both chains, but especially Costco, have bad habits of stocking things locallly that I can't find on the website.
Personaly, I'm not buying a thing this week until I run through Costco! :) I'll let you know what I find, but don't forget that it's my wife's birthday tomorrow, so I won't go DVD shopping until Wednesday. Tuesday nite I'll be taking her to a romantic dinner.
If anyone can tell me what Costco and Sam's had locally, I won't be grateful. Esp. on Victor/Victoria!

Greg Br

Second Unit
I saw that Circuit City has Blade:Platinum Edition on sale for $12.99, not sure but this seems like a good price.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I was at Best Buy today and was surprised that In the Heat of the Night was listed at $17.99 when the SRP is now $14.95. Did they forget to price drop, or do they choose not to?

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Blade sounds like a good price, since I see it SRPs for $19.98; I can't say I recall seeing it lower than that $12.99.
In The Heat of The Night might just be a case where the markdown hasn't been taken yet because they are waiting on official price protection from the distributer, or was taken in the register PLU system but the stickers haven't changed yet, or perhaps the employees just missed restickering some.
I imagine it is the first one, since BB.COM also lists the $17.99 price on that title.
Ach, that's it exactly. A quick survey of a half-dozen other sites only shows that BORDERS, of all people, have the correctly listed SRP. So someone at MGM or their distrubution people is falling down on the job with this one, and possibly other markdown titles this week as well.
Patience; you'll probably find in next week's flyer that it is one of their special super-low-priced items! :D
In the meantime, if you have no Borders near you, try Target. You can't lookup this stuff on their website, but their stores are usually quick for markdowns.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Darn. Not one single store in the Kansas City area appears to carry The Manhattan Project. They checked the computer and only one Best Buy in the area has it and its a good 30 miles away. :frowning:
Sounds like an online retailer is in order.
I did pick up Men at Work. Thanks Dave!

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
its a good 30 miles away.
:confused: This is a problem? I have to assume you don't drive or own a car, since 30 miles is practically nothing.
I drive over 40 miles (one way) every week to shop at Best Buy/Circuit City and attend a decent movie theater. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks