What's new
World Wide Stereo

Weekly RoundUp 5/25/04 (1 Viewer)

728x90

Jeff D

Supporting Actor
I just got back from target and someone explain this to me...

If anyone has problems finding the DVD with coupons for batteries and popcorn I have a good idea what's happening. My local target had a lot of the LOTR ROTK movies, lots of batteries and several popcorns. What I saw was a guy in front of me buying 20 copies of the movie. I was talking to the cashier and he said that earlier today some guy bought 46 copies (what, budget only allowed for $700 of LOTR purchases?)

So, what's the angle on this? I can't see making money with ebay or anything, what have these guys got going on? They run rental stores and $14.99 is cheaper than they can buy for?

Rich Strauss

Stunt Coordinator
I went to my local Wal Mart this morning. They had ROTK for $14.87, but NO coupon for the free batteries. So, I went across the street to Target & paid $14.99 for the DVD plus free box of popcorn & a free 10 pack of batteries. What a deal!

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
That's really odd - those coupons usually have a one-per-customer disclaimer. Did the guy you saw buy 20 packs of batteries & popcorn as well??

Dave Corder

Stunt Coordinator
Picked my copy of ROTK up at Target a couple hours ago. Got it , the popcorn, and the batteries for $16 and change. Great deal. Now I have munchies to eat while I watch the movie.

Also picked up Lion King 1 1/2. Went to Best Buy with the Circuit City ad in hand so I could price match at the register and use my Reward Zone card, but then I saw that their price was $22.99. So I changed my mind and decided to just pay that price. Walked out the door, ate lunch, then came back about 20 minutes later and price matched it with Circuit City's ad so I could get back the difference + 10% (for a net gain of $11). Paid $12.96 total after taxes.

Dang you HTF members for making my mind think of weird ways to save as much money as possible! :)

And, as always, thanks to Mike and Dave for putting together these roundups.

Dave

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
Anyone have luck finding the new Fox martial arts disks?
I've been to Best Buy, Media Play, Circuit City, and Borders. I'm going to check Walmart later, if not online somewhere....

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
Does anyone know if Target is carrying Bubba Ho-Tep, and if so, what the price is?

-Lyle J.P.

Christopher D

Second Unit
For what it's worth, Winds of War is most emphatically *not* $50.39 at Best Buy. It's $76 and change. It *is* however $49.99 at Costco -- and a beautiful package (thinpaks) to boot.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Dave: It's my understanding that the price match should work whether you buy the item before the price match or you buy the item and price match at the same time.

And, I, too, have my copy of LOTR:ROTK from Target with popcorn and batteries in hand. Almost didn't get the popcorn. All clerks thought they had run out at my store, but I happened to ask the actual store manager at the service desk and just as he was going to discount the $1.79 from a 12-pack of popcorn, an employee walked up with a few of the proper boxes. That really is a good deal.

I didn't see Bubba Ho-Tep at my Target today either.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Christopher: I apologize if that price was responsible for you wasting time at Best Buy. I got that particular price from bestbuy.com. They usually match up. Its a rare thing when they don't.

DanielCo

Stunt Coordinator
OK, OK, by popular request (well, mine at least) here are the Strawberries (FYE, Coconuts?) rebates this week:

$10 rebates:
Buffy Season 6...............AFTER rebate cost $35
Cheers Season 3..............$33
Club Dread...................dunno, wasn't in stock there, but there is the rebate but probably $10
Frasier Season 3.............$33
Return of the King...........$10 (yep, really)
Lord of the Rings Trilogy....$50

$7 rebates:
Saving Private Ryan 60th.....$13
Welcome to Mooseport.........$13

The rebates run until 6/7

Brian Johnson

Supporting Actor

:laugh: :laugh:

Wanted to mention as I almost did it.......
Don't forget to save your receipt from ROTK if you plan on getting the extended versions.
(Don't they require the receipts from both? I forget now, so this may be a useless reminder)

Dah-Dee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David

It's been my experience that most Best Buys will only give you the additional 10% off if you first purchase the item at their price and then come back with an ad. Silly but true. If you just show an ad at the time of the initial purchase they'll usually make you go to Customer Service for the purchase and pricematch the ad price (often after making you wait while they call and verify the involved competitor has the item in stock) but not give you the additional 10%.

Christopher D

Second Unit
Mike -- no need for any apology at all, my brother. The Roundup has saved me so much time and money that any minor inconvenience is inconsequential in its wake. Just passing on the info for everyone else.

Phil Tomaskovic

Supporting Actor
Just got back from fye... Daniel beat me to it. $10! for ROTK!

Funny I was going to pick up Mooseport and they only had Fullscreen copies (4 of them).

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Man! I had no interest in upgrading my DTS copy of SPR. But if my Wal-Mart had a price like that, I think I'd grab it for the features! I saw this title today and the packaging looks very cool! :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samrinriya
Recent bookmarks