What's new
World Wide Stereo

Weekly Roundup 4/20/04 (Still me again) (1 Viewer)

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al

Ouch! I guess that counts as taking a joke too far, as no one should ever have to relive 9th grade English. Sorry.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I agree. When I got to my local BB, they were out of the CE (probably well over 100 of the single-disc editions in stock). By the empty shelf space it looked like they only had 20-30 or so to start with.

I drove 15 minutes to the next closest BB and got the CE there.

willyh

Agent
DVD Price Search is reporting that Sams Club has the 2 disc collectors' edition of Master and Commander for $18.87. Alright!

WillG

Senior HTF Member

This is what I absolutely cannont stand about these single and dual disc separate releases. No 2-disc at Costco. Can't rent, only 1-disc version at Blockbuster, even my library only got the one disc. It seems like other B&Ms are on short supply as well. I wish the studios would stop doing this, but this will likely become S.O.P. in the future.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I managed to snag a 2-Disc M&C - with bonus disc - at Best Buy and used a $5-off Pref. Cust. coupon to make the extra disc "free" compared to the Costco price...so I didn't even make it to Costco to see if they had any copies.

The 20th Century Masters DVDs were all in-stock at BB, except for Scorpions (which seems to be delayed). I skipped Chely Wright and Cinderella, but I snagged .38 Special, ABC, Asia, Pattie LeBelle, and Vanessa Williams. All were marked $5.99 on the pricetag except for Cinderella, which was marked $7.99...I dunno why, since content was similar (5 music videos and no extras). When the ones I bought rang up at $5.99 each, I politely pointed out that there was an endcap display with a lot of different 20CM DVD titles on it (though none of the new ones), and the sign on the display read something like "20th Century Master DVDs - Great Price $4.99 Each". So the cashier gave me that price on each one.

TMNT was also in-stock at BB for $10.99; I called over to Wal-Mart from there and they said it hadn't come in-stock yet there (but that it would sell for $9.44 when it arrived). I decided to bite the $1.55 and get it, so my son wouldn't have to open up a can of whuppass on me. :D

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Geez, why do I have to live in an area where the Walmarts (of which there are PLENTY) never have the great prices reported elsewhere?

M&C 2-disc was $29 (regular price) at my Walmart, but the 1-disc versions were on sale for $15. Argh.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Best Buys here had no CE of M&C so I guess it's online for me. But there were bajillions of Fool Screen ones with the bonus disc. Idiots. :angry:

WillG

Senior HTF Member

That's the other thing I can't stand. Stores don't seem to discount the 2-Disc versions as they do for the one disc for the first few days after release. You end up paying nearly twice the amount for Bonus features.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Three times as much, considering we could wait and pick up the single disc edition for under $10 at Blockbuster or Hollywood Video.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
A disc with extras probably should not cost the same as the disc with the actual feature. If the 2-disc version only cost a few dollars more, I wouldn't mind, but that still does not solve the problem of B&M having hardly any or not carrying it at all.

Dah-Dee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David

DVD Price Search is wrong. The single-disc version is $18.86; the CE is $24.87, which I happily paid a few minutes ago to snag my copy. The Sam's Club website does list a description for the 2-disc, BUT: it also shows a picture of the one-disc version; and lists the MSRP, UPC and Sam's Club item number for the one-disc version. If you order off the website you'll get the one-disc edition. In-store, they've got both (all 3, counting P&S), priced as stated above.

Could you talk Sam's Club into selling you the CE for $18.86 based on the website error? Maybe. Didn't seem worth the hassle, though. Hope this helps with any confusion.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Yeah. No great Wal-Mart prices for me either on the M&C CE. I called two of my local stores--before I cracked the plastic wrap today on my Best Buy version--only to find they both were selling it for $28.87.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
I just made a couple of phone calls to try to find some local (Bowie, MD) prices at WalMart and BJs.

Haunted Mansion is $18.99 at BJs and $15.08 at WalMart
Master and Commander 2 disc is $24.99 at BJs and $28.87 at WalMart.

Neil

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
Same Wal-Mart price for me.:frowning:

If I wanted M&C CE that bad looks like I'd pay 25.87 at DDD or 25.99 at Amazon. Still a lot to pay for one movie I think, especially at a blind buy. Sucks that there are NO extras but trailers on the regular version. $16 ain't that great a price for no extras considering there are lots of 2-discers available for less than that at release time.

Extras are extras. Think I'll wait it out and pick up the one-disc pre-viewed cheap. $25 is more than half what I typically pay for an entire season box set. One movie and great extras doesn't equal 11 episodes with some extras to my eyes, or more importantly to my wallet. Oscars are over and it's still trying to compete with LOTR with this DVD set.

BrianMUL

Auditioning
WARNING: This Haunted Mansion "free pin" offer is ONLY on the FULLSCREEN copies of the DVD! The Costco store I was in (Norwalk, CA) had dozens of both Fullscreen & Widescreen; no Widescreen edition had the offer, and every Fullscreen had the offer - printed right on the outer cardboard sleeve (along with the word "Fullscreen", so I don't see there being any chance the Widescreen version comes with the mail-in certificate). Funny, as described on their website the only version offered is described as Widescreen - WITH the pin offer - but I believe you will be disappointed when you receive the Fullscreen in the mail instead...

Way to go Disney & Costco, encourage Fullscreen! :frowning:

Also, the pin is not actually Haunted Mansion related, but is for the new Tower of Terror ride at Disney's California Adventure.

(snip) "* Costco.com is giving away a free pin with purchase of The Haunted Mansion."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Indy7solo
Recent bookmarks