What's new

Weekly Roundup 4/1 (1 Viewer)

Jodee

Screenwriter
David--

You really should continue with DS9. It only gets better & better with each season, and in its peak is just amazing!

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
On the contrary, Jodee...I watched DS9 regularly until the middle of the 4th season, where I felt it had departed from the concept of what I had tuned in for that it was no longer worth my hour every week. I kept an eye on the ads and tuned into individual episodes that seemed interesting, but by the middle of S5 I had stopped doing even that.

The whole route of the Dominon War and all that was just something I was utterly could not get into. After Starship Down and Little Green Men in S4, I started watching very spraodically (the Kor episode "Sword of Kahless" had its high points, but even Levar Burton's direction couldn't save it for me).

The final ep I watched was "Trials and Tribble-ations", more because of my penpal David Gerrold's obvious involvement than for anything else. After that, the show just died for me.

Looking back on it, I really didn't enjoy anything much after the Defiant showed up...and even less after Worf showed up (nothing against Dorn, who I think a lot of...it's just that the show seemed to be getting desperate to me). So Season 2 is probably the last one I ought to buy, and part of me isn't sure I should even bother with it. I probably will get it thought. The Trekkie in me want to collect them all, whether or not I watch them.

I know that DS9 has many fans here, and I am now sending warp power to the shields! :D To each their own. I'm a TNG and TOS man. S1 and S2 of DS9 were all right. S1 of Voyager was okay. Nothing else does it for me en masse...just individual episodes that stand out.

Dah-Dee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
I saw a post over on DVDTalk indicating a Costco customer saw an in-store sign stating you get an extra $5 off if you buy West Side Story (21.99, as reported here) along with one of several 9.99 DVDs, including:

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
Fiddler On The Roof SE
Guys And Dolls (1955)
How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying

I'm going to check this out at lunch; $27 for WSS and Fiddler would be nice.

Wayne W

Stunt Coordinator
My local Best Buy didn't have any copies of "I Am Trying To Break Your Heart". They said none of the stores in my area received any copies, but it had been ordered. Anyone else have trouble finding this title?

Dah-Dee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
Okay, here's the scoop on my Costco experience:

My local Costco did not have any signs up about the deal, but I took the discs up to the cashier anyway, told her about the deal. She rang them up, no discount showed, BUT then she also scanned the Costco UPC sticker on the back of Fiddler (vs. the UPC on the disc box itself inside the Costco packaging), and the $5 discount appeared. On the receipt, the discount code corresponds exactly to the UPC number printed on the Costco packaging sticker (don't have the receipt right now, but it was something like 679716). The cashier also told me that promos like this are usually a corporate thing, not store-by-store, so your Costco should have the same deal even if the signs are not up. Good luck!

Edit: the discount code/sticker number was 679616.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Okay...I went for the West Side Story SE deal at Costco. Thanks for the heads-up, John David! It was JUST those four titles mentioned, and you have to have them scan the WSS first, then the other title, THEN have them scan the UPC code on the unique-to-Costco cardboard box that the other title comes it.

Also at Costco, for $12.99 each, are Ultimate Power Rangers, and both Disney Sing Alongs.

If you can't get the Disney Sing Alongs at Costco, and you are a Wal-mart hater and so pass up their $14.44 everyday price on these, then your next best price is probably K-Mart at $14.95 each.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
A reminder for anyone purchasing the Disney SingAlong Songs DVDs:

As with Roger Rabbit last week, you can buy Woman's Day magazine for $1.99 (some stores, like Target, discount the magazines by 10%, so its $1.79) and inside the fold-out front cover is a coupon good for $3 off a long list of Disney DVDs. The two new SingAlong Song releases are on that list!

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Dave, you penpal with David Gerrold too? Have you been able to beat out of him where our #@$#@$!@## Chtorr book is that he was supposedly obligated to finish a month ago after 10 long years? :) I have $6.99-$24.95 with his name on it damnit! :)

I know that DS9 has many fans here, and I am now sending warp power to the shields! To each their own. I'm a TNG and TOS man. S1 and S2 of DS9 were all right. S1 of Voyager was okay. Nothing else does it for me en masse...just individual episodes that stand out.
Unfortunately since you DIDN'T watch season 7, you have no knowlege of our Breen superweapon, draining your shields and forcing you to buy more DS9 :)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Jeff, the last time I heard from him was several weeks ago, when he dropped me a note out of the blue to mention that the SciFi channel's Riverworld thing was coming up. It was news to me at the time, and I said so. In my reply I asked how A Method For Madness was going, and got no response.

I'm not just anxious to find out what else happens to Jimbo and Liz, but a long time ago he promised me that me and my entire family would get eaten by Chtorran worms in that book! Although that probably won't happen now...my guess is that he feels like he kept his promise to put me in a novel by the 3 mentions of a guy named "Lambert" on (or about) page 66 of Leaping To The Stars. :wink:

As far as the timetable goes for A Method For Madness, I'm guessing the biggest delay is that he is trying to also work on the next two, A Time For Treason and A Case For Courage at the same time, and perhaps release them as a triple-threat. He might have them tied in just that closely with each other!

At least an ISBN seems to be set up for it...

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Looks like DG has satisfied TOR for now with a June 2003 release of a book called The Martian Child, according to the TOR schedule. It's a trade paperback, and I don't RECALL it being released previously in hardback. But I've got 50 things going on at once here, so it may be on the other side of my brain. :p)

Edit: Oh, yeah...I remember where I know that title from. This is the full-length version of the short story/novelette he won the Hugo and Nebula and like 2-3 other awards for! Yeah, that one's on my wish list.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
The Martian Child hasa been out in hardcover for quite some time. Got it right here, it's basically the story of him adopting his son :)

Obviously I haven't been asking him the right questions, since I didn't even know the titles of the next 2. My only concern is that if he really is trying to triple-threat the next 3, I'm going to be collecting social security by the time he gets them out ;)

I loved the Dingilliad, and am quite envious of your namesake. Would be I had $500 to get eaten by worms in whatever nasty way he concocts :frowning:

Any way you can point me at the info on books 6 and 7? DG hasn't updated his site since Sept 11th :frowning:

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
The only info on his site about #6 and #7 are here (scroll down a bit and you'll see 'em). That's about all he's told me about the books, so I don't have anything more to offer. He just mentioned them in passing a while back.

As far as updating his site goes, I think he's concentrating on the writing. Good decision! :)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
That's a pretty recent addition. Of course the "2002" publishing date is a dirty lie ;)

You know, I'd send him $25 right now to get a Word document emailed to me the second he's done.

*sigh*

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks