What's new

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Where to find the Best Deals on Movies & TV Shows on 4k/UHD, Blu-ray and DVD…
The Features
full

– Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings – 2021

full

– I Dream of Jeannie – 1965-1970

full

– To Hell and Back – 1955

full

– Freud – 1962
full

– Party Girl – 1958
full

– Blood for Dracula – 1974...

Continue reading...

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings? Honestly, I don’t even know what that is.

This is NOT one of those weeks where I’m gonna say there’s so much good stuff that I bet there’s something for everyone.

But I’ll just cross my arms and blink and hope I can conjure up something good for next week. ;)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings? Honestly, I don’t even know what that is.
I know you're not a big Marvel fan and that's fine. Based on what you've told me about your viewing tastes, I don't think the movie would do a lot for you. But did you really not run across any of the marketing for the theatrical release a couple months back? Disney's ad campaign was characteristically aggressive.

Anyway, Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings is very high on my list of favorite movies of the year so far. So I'll be picking that up.

A month ago, it would have been a no brainer purchase. But I prefer the IMAX versions of these movies, and that's a Disney+ exclusive so...
Disney+ does NOT have the extras that are going to be on the disc. I looked. So depending on your interest in those, that might be a factor in your decision. They have a "Marvel Assembled" making of special about the movie on Disney+ that won't be on the disc. But the commentary and deleted scenes that will be included on the disc are not there.

I agree with you that it is unfortunate that the disc does not preserve the IMAX ratio. If it were only for a short amount of the film, this would be less bothersome. But in this case it is the entire film and not just a few minutes. I think the disc should have both the 1.90:1 and 2.39:1 ratio versions.

But I saw the film theatrically in 2.39:1. So I don't mind owning it in scope. I'm still going to get it.

(As a side note, the only IMAX locally is in the AMC which I hate and will never patronize again. I usually go to the Cinemark XD screen for Marvel movies. This is Cinemark's premium brand name and the largest screen in my local theater. But because they are not affiliated with IMAX, they don't show the expanded aspect ratio.)

Last edited:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
But did you really not run across any of the marketing for the theatrical release a couple months back? Disney's ad campaign was characteristically aggressive.

Nope. I never even heard of the title before compiling this week's RoundUp.

Every once in a blue moon (tip of the hat to Corporal Billy Jester)...it happens.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Nope. I never even heard of the title before compiling this week's RoundUp.
It is currently the #1 movie of the year at the domestic box office.

Which doesn't mean it is for you, of course. But a lot of other people heard of it. ;)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Which doesn't mean it is for you, of course. But a lot of other people heard of it. ;)
A lot of people haven't heard of it too.:D

Anyhow, I bought it from Target this morning as they're having a "Buy 2, Get 1 Free" sale with many preorder titles allowed during this sale. Damn, I spent a bunch of money this morning, but I also saved some with this sale and the ability to use Target gift cards.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

I certainly don't doubt that many, many people have heard of it. Actually, I think that's a necessary part of why I'd even bother to mention that I'd never heard of it. I suspect many went to the theater to see it. I don't doubt that many enjoyed it. I bet some might've even been disappointed by it.

My only point was to say that I have never heard of it. I saw no ads on TV for it. I saw no ads online for it. I read no reviews about it. Nothing. And I'm usually aware of big budget Marvel-level motion pictures. But it didn't exist for me (until I saw it in this week's releases). That happens sometimes. It's unusual when it happens, but it happens.

Kent K H

Supporting Actor
I'll pick up Shang Chi at some point. It ain't perfect, but, like Black Widow, it was fun and entertaining in a way that their other release so far this year was not.

Meanwhile, I absolutely adored James Wan's Malignant and it's bonkers giallo-through-a-DePalma-and-Hennenlotter-filter storytelling. It feels like he played an insane, wonderful prank on the studio in getting them to fund it, especially since he's got so many weird references to Italian movies in both the storytelling and technical levels (with the story structure, heightened performances, weird edits and transitions, etc.) I'm pretty perturbed about it not getting a 4K release, because I loved the visuals, and I am really curious as to why that decision was made.

I'll probably put them both on my Christmas list and pick them up after the first of the year if I don't get them.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
For Steelbook fans, Best Buy's site had indicated the Shang Chi Steelbook was OOS for a while (pre-release date) but if you check now (as of this post) there is a chance your local store has copies for pickup.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Sounds like SOP for BBY steelbooks -- sell a proportion as preorders, then open sales again around 1am ET on release day for at least In-store and often shipping.

In 4-5 days more stock will usually show up as those people who bought 3-4-5 copies to make sure they get 1 perfect copy start returning their extras and esp if the
reseller market falls when then aren't really sold out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks