What's new

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Where to find the Best Deals on Movies & TV Shows on 4k/UHD, Blu-ray and DVD…
The Features
full

– Imitation of Life – 1934
full

– The Estate – 2023
full

– Our Dancing Daughters – 1928
full

– Ouija – 2014
full

– Warning Shot – 1967
full

– Dragons Forever – 1988

The Prices

Continue reading...

Last edited:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Hey RoundUppers!

This week's edition marks my 19th anniversary compiling prices for new releases for the HTF. Here's a link to the "Wayback Machine" to sneak a peak into what the HTF and the RoundUp looked like a couple decades ago. (And we still had Circuit City and Costco as part of our revue.)

Thank to you all for showing up each and every week to check out prices and engage in discussions about what's going on with the sale of the latest titles to physical media.

You're all the best!

full

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Thank you for 19 years of dedicated service to the HTF community with what you do here in the Roundup, Mike! It is always very much appreciated.

I'm not getting anything this week, though.

From that old Roundup you linked:

**BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL! The Billy Madison/Happy Gilmore Collection SEs AND Samantha: An American Girl Holiday AND Spiderman 2 SEAND the Spiderman 1 & 2 SE Two-Pack are ALL available in both OAR and MAR versions...get the correct one.
I'm so glad you don't have to put warnings like this in anymore and that the era of pan and scanning has passed.

--Best Buy is offering an exclusive FREE bonus disc in pack with the purchase of Spider-Man 2 SE DVD. Includes: “VH-1 Goes Inside Spider-Man spotlights unforgettable moments from Spider-Man 2. Also includes insider interviews with its creators, director, producers and celebrities.” Minimum 75 per store. No rainchecks.
Emphasis in bold Is mine. This made me laugh. I don't remember the last time Best Buy got 75 of any exclusive in store. We're certainly in a different era now with regard to retailer exclusives, too.

Last edited:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'm so glad you don't have to put warnings like this in anymore and that the era of pan and scanning has passed.
I don't remember the last time Best Buy got 75 of any exclusive in store. We're certainly in a different era now with regard to retailer exclusives, too.
It really is amazing to go back just a little bit and see how much the RoundUp has evolved/changed over the years...mostly because of the changes in the industry. The format of the RoundUp itself has held pretty constant.

I have actually been having questions about how relevant a RoundUp is anymore since most people just do their shopping online and don't really need anyone else to scour for the printed Sunday ads to see what retailers have an extra-special deal. It also seems like the retailer exclusives of today are a lot less significant than they were years ago. Or maybe just less significant to me! :D Participation in these weekly threads have certainly dropped big time.
Seth Meyers Question GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
It really is amazing to go back just a little bit and see how much the RoundUp has evolved/changed over the years...mostly because of the changes in the industry. The format of the RoundUp itself has held pretty constant.

I have actually been having questions about how relevant a RoundUp is anymore since most people just do their shopping online and don't really need anyone else to scour for the printed Sunday ads to see what retailers have an extra-special deal. It also seems like the retailer exclusives of today are a lot less significant than they were years ago. Or maybe just less significant to me! :D Participation in these weekly threads have certainly dropped big time.
I for one greatly appreciate the round-up, In addition to the new releases there is info on who has the best price on release week. I can definitely understand how time-consuming it is, but is always a highlight of my week :)!

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I have actually been having questions about how relevant a RoundUp is anymore since most people just do their shopping online and don't really need anyone else to scour for the printed Sunday ads to see what retailers have an extra-special deal.
That's entirely up to you, Mike. If you enjoy doing it, keep doing it. There's at least a small audience here who are still checking it out. From my perspective, perhaps it's more to see an easy-to-read listing of the week's new releases moreso than the actual prices.

But if you find it's a chore or takes up too much time you could be spending on other things you enjoy, I don't believe anyone here would blame you if you want to retire. It would be the end of an era, but time keeps moving and things change.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
but time keeps moving and things change.
:laugh: Ain't that the ever-lovin' truth!

Yeah. My questions aren't so much about "how much of a chore" it is to compile the listing each week. I wouldn't bother you folks with that.

I've just been wondering how useful the RoundUp is to disc consumers in a world where streaming and digital codes now tend to rule the day.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Dave Lambert still does a roundup on his web site but you have to pay a subscription fee to it to see it.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.

My disc buying has dropped to minuscule.
I buy nearly every movie now from people who sell their codes or from sales on iTunes.

We still have hundreds of DVDs and hundreds of blue rays and not much room for any more.

My disc buying average the last 3-4 years is under 5.
Can’t see the value in buying a bulky set like the Columbia Classics for $100+ when I can get them all for about $20-$25 and not huge box.

Also sorry to say I’ve almost totally forgotten that you post this every week and I know it will never change but I still find it odd that we have to click to another part of HTF to read these “articles” but that’s my problem.

I do sometimes miss the simpler versions of websites like HTF.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I should have a review of Groundhog Day up tomorrow - the 4K disc is "new," now with Dolby Vision (although probably sourced from the same 4K master as the previous Best Buy exclusive release from 5 years ago) and the trailer. The disc is supposed to arrive today (it somehow took FedEx Ground 4 days to get from Sacramento to Reno which is typically a 3-4 hour drive).

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I have actually been having questions about how relevant a RoundUp is anymore since most people just do their shopping online and don't really need anyone else to scour for the printed Sunday ads to see what retailers have an extra-special deal.
I find that most retailers don't have printed ads anymore, so your Roundup is especially welcomed every week.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
Personally, I read these threads every single week, but for me it's just to find out what is coming out this week, and 0% about the prices.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Thanks for your supreme dedication to the RoundUp, Mike. It doesn't go unnoticed or unappreciated.

I have a couple of discs on the list to review that haven't turned up yet, but I keep hoping. . . .

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I appreciate your work every single week, even though I never get an alert whenever you post it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.