What's new

WB Announces BURT LANCASTER Signature Collection (1 Viewer)

Corey

Screenwriter

That was already confirmed next year. Harlow was scheduled for released in 2006 two years ago.

Jim Bur

Stunt Coordinator

Ten Tall Men was a Columbia picture so I would assume Sony has the rights to that film not Warners.

His Majesty O'keefe and The Flame and Arrow are both excellent adventure films. and Jim Thorpe All-American is a solid sports biopic.

Warners has done a superb job over the last year and a half in the area of adventure/historical pics, releasing such excellent films as Captain Horatio Hornblower, The Charge of the Light Brigade, both versions of the Prisoner of Zenda, Billy Budd, Treasure Island, Chinas Seas, A Tale of Two Cities, Allegheny Uprising, The Three Musketeers, Adventures of Don Juan, etc, and now these two outstanding Lancaster swashbucklers.

It would have been nice if Warners could have found a way to include Vengeance Valley in the set, since it is a good western. Unfortunately, Warners has been almost completely ignoring the western genre this year. Of the 110 to 120 Warners films that have been released or announced so far only 1 or 2 of them are new to DVD westerns. This in spite of the fact that almost half the unreleased films in Warners library are westerns. So while Warners has done well by fans of adventure films and film noir, it is totally ignoring the fans of classic western films. One hopes they can improve on that front in the near future.

c Jim Bur

Corey

Screenwriter

Good point. I'm actually very surprised Warners hasn't released a banner of westerns much like Classic Musicals, Film Noir, or Forbidden Hollywood.

CineKarine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Karine Philippot

I really hope they do save it from its PD misery at some point - I have always loved that western too.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Thanks Warner. I think this is a very underrated film and will definitely add this SE to my collection.

Crawdaddy

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
I ordered it from The Laser's Edge on Friday (along with Errol Flynn's The Master of Ballantrae). This morning, I got an e-mail back saying both titles were OOP and the order was cancelled. :frowning:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Oscar,

I'm sure in the scope of the entire Burt Lancaster catalog, it's
a small blip on the radar screen.

For those of us that remember seeing Twilight's Last Gleaming
during its theatrical run or numerous plays on television in
the 80s, this is a film that has been requested many times over
the past few years.

It's a great film about three convicts (two of which are Burt Lancaster
and Burt Young) who take over a missile silo and threaten a nuclear
launch if their demands by the President (Charles Durning) are not
met.

What's most memorable about this film is that long before used on
the 24 television show, this is one of the first movies I can
remember that used 3-pane storytelling throughout the film, which
greatly heightened the amount of suspense.

This film is one of the most underrated great films of the 70s.
It is a superb film with a top-notch cast, brilliant acting and genuine
suspense. Anybody that has the opportunity to buy this once released
will understand why so much pressure was put on Warner to get
this out.

I can tell you that Warner is looking to give special treatment to
this film because it is a personal favorite of one of their people who
understands the need to give this title the attention it deserves.

Anthony Thorne

Supporting Actor
This sort of treatment - taking pains, delaying a disc until they can do it right, and ultimately delivering a great, quality product when the option could have been there to chuck out a substandard, quickie edition - is typical of Warner, who really are running rings around pretty much every other studio right now with their outstanding releases. A couple of weeks back I scratched together a list of the discs I was most looking forward to over the coming months (DELIVERANCE, CRUISING, the new Kubrick set, BLADE RUNNER and some others) and lo and behold they were pretty much all Warner titles. I've never seen GLEAMING but from the comments in this thread I'll look out for it in future.

EXECUTIVE ACTION is almost a dud (or is a dud), but it's simultaneously quite an interesting movie with a few clever resonances and implications, especially for folks who have read more than a little about the actual event. That said it shoots itself in the foot with at least a couple of poorly acted supporting characters - the guy that plays Jack Ruby, from memory, is pretty rotten - but it's nice to see Dante regular Dick Miller getting cashed up for his role working with the sniper team. (His character is the type of guy that SHOOTER joked was buried in the desert 24hrs after the event).

I'm very curious to see what sort of Signature boxes Warner has in the works for next year. They're really digging deep into the vaults now and bringing out some quality stuff. I think DARK OF THE SUN is a Warner title mooted in a prior chat, though I could be wrong. Anyway, go Warner!

Corey

Screenwriter

Well I just think we'll be getting more sequel sets like Gable Vol 2, Lon Chaney Vol 2, Crawford Vol 2, Davis Vol 3 , Bogie Vol 3 and new ones like Harlow, John Garfield, Edward G. Robinson, Lana Turner, Spencer Tracy, Natalie Wood, Frank Sinatra, and hopefully sets like Jane Powell, Greer Garson, Norma Shearer, Robert Mitchum Vol 2, Judy Garland Vol 2, and Liz Taylor Vol 2.

Richard M S

Screenwriter
Has there been an official press release from Warners yet about this release? I am curious as to what extras may be included.

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
Looks like another boxset just got added to a collection that is running out of room - and it is unfortunate in that regard that the five films included in this set are not in the slim cases I was hoping would be standard fare by now. Oh well, maybe one day. In the mean time I will have to decide which movie to watch first.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks