What's new

WARNING RE: Strange Brew DVD (1 Viewer)

Jaxon's Dad

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug
According to the latest press materials, Strange Brew will be presented in 4:3 pan and scan only. I personally hope this is a typ-o, however when review copies begin circulating, we'll know for sure.
:thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

Jaxon's Dad

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug
I understand that it's previously been announced as having an anamorphic widescreen transfer, but I'm telling you that the latest press materials, as in released today, indicate a 4:3 pan and scan transfer. All the other specs remain the same. Like I said, this could merely be a typo, but it's worth noting.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Amazon.com lists widescreen, Movies Unlimited lists widescreen, The Laser's Edge lists widescreen, DVD Angle lists widescreen, and I think DVD File listed widescreen.

Since this is coming from Turner Entertainment Co., I wouldn't worry about the OAR. They only other non-OAR title they did was A Christmas Story, but that was back when MGM/UA had Turner.

Jaxon's Dad

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug
Update: Just got an email from my WB rep who confirmed that Strange Brew will be 16x9 widescreen only. Apparently the press information I read today was indeed an error. Bet some of you thought I belonged in the loony bin! This is one hoser that can rest easy, eh. Pass me a jelly!

Ian_H

Supporting Actor
They only other non-OAR title they did was A Christmas Story, but that was back when MGM/UA had Turner.
..and now that Warner Bros. is distributing it there should be no worries. EVERY 1.85:1 or less comedy they have released was letterboxed right?

-Ian

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Aspect Ratio
Pan & Scan 4:3
It seems strange these two changes would have been by accident. I hope we're not smellling a rat or anything. 6 Days past the order due date, and this comes up? And no picture of the back of the box to check against? Sheesh! :rolleyes

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Okay, I just did a thorough search of recently released and soon to be released DVDs in their database. I think their system is screwed up.
Oh God!, which was definately released anamorphic, is listed as 4:3 P&S as well.
The only recently released item I can see that says "Widescreen" for sure is "Victor/Victoria", and it is incorrectly listed as 1.66:1...it's 16:9.
Everything else is either listed as 4:3 P&S - FireFox for instance, along with Strange Brew - or else it doesn't say one way or the other.
Example of the latter: Showtime! has two listings: one says 4:3 P&S, and the other doesn't say either way. :rolleyes
Okay, I feel a little bit better now, safe in the idea that it probably is a massive system screw-up, rather than the old MAR conspiracy. :wink:

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
maybe the P&S listing referred to the cartoon that is on the disc.
Interesting idea, but that doesn't explain Oh God! or Firefox.
Keep in mind that right now the listings are saying "Pan & Scan 4:3" even for Open-Matte titles like Wonka. It's a system error, I'm pretty sure of it. :D

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
Actually, in the past Warner has released quite a few 1.85:1 comedies in open matte only...all the Police Academy movies, National Lampoon's Vacation, Christmas Vacation, and Vegas Vacation, Doc Hollywood, My Blue Heaven, etc. Theres plenty of more.
They havent done any recently, but who knows, they could go back on their evil ways! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks