What's new

Warner Brother's 2-Disc Special Edition Series (1 Viewer)

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
I was also wondering why 4-disc Ultra releases aren't on the list (Gone With the Wind, Ben-Hur), cause they are basically just cousins to the 2-discers but are all in the same family (high quality multi-disc releases). Also I was wondering why THX 1138 wasn't on the list.
Good question. In fact, one could just as well say several of Warner's older flipper discs might qualify as a 2-Discer, like Superman, as they are basically the same as having two discs. In fact, some of their single disc dual layer releases have more data than two single layer discs.

Trying to put a specific definition on what should or should not qualify for this list is not terribly easy, with one notable exception, and that is the banner that each of these releases has on the cover:

Warner also use to distiguish this series by using digipack cases but they switched to keepcases starting with The Lost Boys.

For both Gone with the Wind and Ben-Hur, they distinguish theses releases as Collector's Editions.

In general, this series is about presenting older titles (+10 years) of both classics and wildy popular titles with transfers from the best possible source, and enough extras to warrant an extra disc. Of course, Warner has thrown in a few odd exceptions along the way:
  • #8 Stephen King's: The Shining
  • #21 Space Jam
  • #34 Gothika
I even suspect that Gothika was a mistake, and that they intended it to use their 2-Disc Widescreen Edition banner that they use for most of their releases of new titles:

With the exception of the missing Two-Disc Special Edition banner, the eight Charlie Chaplin titles and THX 1138 would certainly belong with this list of titles.

Perhaps I should add a secondary list of discs that while not sharing the same banner classification, do share the same commitment to quality and depth of supplements?

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
I think you should, Nils. At least with the Collector's Editions, which feel very much like they are part of the same series as two-discers like "Casablanca" and "Citizen Kane". It's just that "Gone With the Wind" required two discs just to get the film in its entirety on there. Then it was so special that it required two full discs of just bonus features. Same with "Ben-Hur". And "The Wizard of Oz" is a shorter film, so it only required one disc for the film and two for bonus features (of course, it is getting a two-disc SE as well). The Special Editions and Collector's Editions, to me, fall under the same banner... even if not in the literal sense.

Dwayne

Supporting Actor
We need a 2-disc set with both versions of the film, the original documentary plus all existing extras from both current editions and commentary tracks. It's about time I added this dvd to my collection, here's hoping for a fitting relese!!
I would like to add that hopefully they will include a better sound-mix for the theatrical version...apparently, the very first disc released of this title had better 5.1 on it. Unfortunately, it was located on the fool-screen side.

Either that or remix the sound of the theactrical cut of the film to the same high standards of TVYNS.

"The Fear of God" documentary is an absolute must. I just watched it recently on the OOP SE I have. Good stuff.

ChrisPearson

Second Unit
Simply a change made for the sake of change.
...or to fit in with their single-disc releases which switched from snappers to keepcases around the same time. I don't think the Classic Comedies Collection or the Broadway to Hollywood Collection would have looked good as a mixture of single-disc keepcases and double-disc digipacks.

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
I was looking over some of Warner's 2-disc releases of new films and was surprised how inconsistent they are in their nomenclature:

Special Widescreen Edition
  • Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
Widescreen Edition
  • Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
  • The Matrix Reloaded
2-Disc Widescreen Edition
  • Terminator 3 - Rise of the Machines
  • The Matrix Revolutions
  • The Last Samurai
  • Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
  • Troy
  • The Aviator
  • Million Dollar Baby
2 Disc Special Widescreen Edition
  • The Phantom of the Opera
2-Disc Deluxe Edition
  • Constantine
2-Disc Widescreen Special Edition
  • Alexander
  • Alexander - Director's Cut
Two-Disc Deluxe Edition
  • Batman Begins

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
That's also pathetic. Come on, Warner. Find something you like and stick with it. ;) I kid. At least they've gotten the Two-Disc Special Edition thing down pat when appropriate (for the most part). I think Four-Disc Special Edition would have been good for "GWTW" and "Ben-Hur" though.

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
My god,
Well that's a bit dramatic, but I suspect like Dane you are only kidding. :)

So I went ahead and added a "Similar Releases" section with the following titles:
  • Any Given Sunday (Director's Cut)
  • Superman
  • The Gold Rush
  • Modern Times
  • The Great Dictator
  • Limelight
  • The Kid
  • The Circus
  • City Lights
  • THX 1138 (Director's Cut)
  • Gone with the Wind
  • Ben-Hur (1925 & 1959)
Are there any others that should be added?

Also, I thought about making a list of Warner's double-disc releases of first run films. Here is what I have so far:
  • Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
  • Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
  • The Matrix Reloaded
  • Terminator 3 - Rise of the Machines
  • The Matrix Revolutions
  • The Last Samurai
  • Mystic River
  • Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
  • The Ultimate Matrix Collection
  • Troy
  • The Phantom of the Opera
  • The Aviator
  • Million Dollar Baby
  • A Very Long Engagement
  • Constantine
  • Alexander
  • Alexander (Director's Cut)
  • Batman Begins
  • Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
If I overlooked some, please feel free to post them.

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
Head-up bargain hunters! I just got back from Costco and they had some great deals on DVDs including most of Warner's 2-Disc Special Editions for only $11.99, but it gets better. They also have a $2 instant rebate for Warner DVDs making them only $9.99 each.

In addition, they also are selling the 4-Disc Collector's Editions of both Gone with the Wind and Ben-Hur as well as the 3-Disc Collector's Edition of Wizard of Oz for only $18.99.

paul:hillsdon

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry to bring the thread back during the CES rush, but I found this quote interesting:

Among the catalog titles from Warner will be Unforgiven (April 11), Goodfellas and The Matrix (April 25), Blazing Saddles (May 9) and The Green Mile Special Edition (May 16).
It's from here: http://www.dvdexclusive.com/article.asp?articleID=2625

Is this confirmation of a Green Mile SE?

Also, I believe your list needs to be updated to include the SE for Dog Day Afternoon

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks