What's new

Warner Bros Archieve - problem movies? (1 Viewer)

Greg_M

Screenwriter
According to the DVD savant (Glenn Erickson)

A pub release by Warners touts the Warner Archive Collection as the perfect venue for problem pictures. Mammy, they say, is "a film whose political (in)sensitivity may make it inappropriate for mainstream audiences, but whose historical importance makes it a 'must-own' for niche fans and historians."

Maybe we will finally see Ken Russell's "The Devils" as an archive release???
Although it would look great on Blu-Ray

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
It makes sense. Joe and Jane PC Complainer won't see it on their local store shelf, and will have little reason to protest its availability.

It makes one hope Disney would do a MOD program so we could get Song of the South...

Spottedfeather

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
I would love to have Song Of The South on dvd. We've really only had the soundtrack tapes or Zip a dee doo dah on compilation tapes. I'd love the whole movie. I loved it when I was a kid.

Greg_M

Screenwriter
I would believe most kids today wouldn't even like "Song of the South" and the only people interested in it would be adults who grew up with it. I would guess Disney could issue it this way (maybe change the rating as not appropriate for children?)
But as with most things in demand, once it is issued people will find out and if they really want it they will find it. I'm sure Amzon would carry it and more and more people get their films that way

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Originally Posted by Greg_M

I would believe most kids today wouldn't even like "Song of the South" and the only people interested in it would be adults who grew up with it.
I saw "Song of the South" in its 1956 reissue, when I was six -- and most kids then didn't like it very much, except for the cartoon segments. The live action part was what we suffered through (or went to the lobby to get candy during) in order to get to the cartoon segments.

What I remember the most about the movie is the color in the cartoon segments. I think it was the brightest, most vivid color I've ever seen. If they ever do release this movie on home video, they have to restore it to its exact original condition, or the best thing about it will be lost. At its 1972 reissue, the color had faded and turned basically purple. It was a total travesty which Walt Disney himself would never have allowed to be seen.

I thought that the 1986 release looked very colorful. Of course, I was 10 and that was before I got used to restorations and remasterings.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks