What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Warner Archive titles you've bought (1 Viewer)

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
My Warner Archive TV on DVD purchases have slowed over the past couple of years, but I've added a few more volumes to my collection since the quoted list below from August 2021, including completing Maverick with S4, adding S3 of Lawman (now just need S4 to complete that series) and The F.B.I. S1 Part 2. I also have Thundarr the Barbarian (DVD version) and Bronk to add to the list.

And if WAC ever see fit to release S2 of Mr. Novak (unlikely at this stage, I guess), I'll be on that in a flash.

Currently owned on DVD:
Mr. Novak, S1
Tarzan (Ron Ely series) Seasons 1 & 2
Harry-O, S1 & 2
Bronco, S1-4
Sugarfoot, S1-4
Lawman, S1 & 2
The Lieutenant
The Dakotas
Cheyenne
, S2 - 5, (S1 through WHE)
Maverick, S3 & 5 (S1 & 2 through WHE)
A Man Called Shenandoah
The F.B.I.
, S1, Part 1
Search
Spenser for Hire,
S1
Hawkins
The Jimmy Stewart Show
Hank
Jericho
Hondo
The Man from Atlantis
(TV movie collection)
The Man from U.N.C.L.E. 8-movie collection

And on Blu-Ray:
Jonny Quest
The Jetsons

Last edited:

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Great motherload of fine WB and MGM TV product there, Jeff! I've been a good WAC customer myself since 2009.

Likely as yourself, I felt some urgency in buying all the WAC back catalogue of my TV release 'wants' that I could over the last four years or so, and finally completed all their longer-run TV series while the 'getting' was still good. I completed Cheyenne, Maverick, Sugarfoot, Bronco, Lawman, The FBI, Dr. Kildare, Harry O and purchased many single season shows...I've also been buying WAC's back catalogue of great old theatrical films from the MGM/RKO/WB libraries on Blu and DVD, of which there are about a thousand or more, just as a guess! Available funds are of course a challenge, and I often blow my budget...especially as we are in a true golden age of vintage theatrical film releases in Blu-ray! As opposed (unfortunately) to vintage TV, especially from the great B+W era.

I have everything on your list but Tarzan S1 and S2, Search, Bronk, Man From Atlantis TV movie and Man From UNCLE TV movie collections and The Jetsons Blu, all of which I will eventually buy...I have Seasons one and two of Harry O, but need the separately released second pilot telefilm Smile Jenny, You're Dead...I previously picked up WAC's DVD of the Then Came Bronson pilot telefilm to go along with my DVD-R recordings of that series...I have Spenser: For Hire seasons' one and three on the way, and will still need to buy S2...

Of things not on your list, I also have WAC's complete DVD set of the single season WW2 TV series Gallant Men (WB,1962-63), and season one of Eleventh Hour (MGM, also 1962-63, released in two volumes), Sam Benedict (MGM, again 1962-63) all of which were released when WAC was still going back to make new transfers from 2K scans of the OCN's, so thus they all look superb...by the time that they reluctantly gave us the great Mr. Novak S1, (as you know) they had cut costs and used the available 1" TNT tape transfers, which to me are still very good, although the season finale episode does show some short-lived film damage (details in the dedicated HTF Mr. Novak thread)...I would love to see a similar WAC release of Mr. Novak S2 (I have DVD-R of 27 of 30 season two episodes, as TNT never aired the missing episodes in 1988-90).

I'm glad to have them, as B+W TV hour drama is among my most desired, but none of Eleventh Hour, Sam Benedict or Gallant Men would be among my favorites...some terrible, mostly fair to good, but with a few great episodes in each series, but overall definitely average TV shows in my book...Gallant Men suffers badly in comparison to the immortal Combat!, which launched that very same season...still, they are vintage early '60s and for me a must have...I've got loads of DVD-R and tapes of other highly desired and much requested WB TV series deterred by music rights...all of the 'detective' series such as 77 Sunset Strip, Hawaiian Eye, Bourbon Street Beat, Surfside 6. With all the mix of PQ, some of which is a dog's breakfast, but watchable...But I am thankful for the many treasures delivered to us by Warner Archive!

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Likely as yourself, I felt some urgency in buying all the WAC back catalogue of my TV release 'wants' that I could over the last four years or so, and finally completed all their longer-run TV series while the 'getting' was still good. I completed Cheyenne, Maverick, Sugarfoot, Bronco, Lawman, The FBI, Dr. Kildare, Harry O and purchased many single season shows...I've also been buying WAC's back catalogue of great old theatrical films from the MGM/RKO/WB libraries on Blu and DVD, of which there are about a thousand or more, just as a guess! Available funds are of course a challenge, and I often blow my budget...especially as we are in a true golden age of vintage theatrical film releases in Blu-ray! As opposed (unfortunately) to vintage TV, especially from the great B+W era.
Thanks for the great, detailed response, Randall! Yes, you remind me that I still have a handful of TV titles that I need to snag from WAC before they become rarer than hen's teeth...including the last two seasons of Cheyenne and S4 of Lawman (to complete those solid WB westerns); S2 and possibly S3 of The F.B.I.; S1 of The Courtship of Eddie's Father (remember this one fondly from my youth, one of my earliest TV memories, actually); S2 and 3 of Spenser: For Hire, and possibly a season or two of Dr. Kildare, despite my general aversion these days to medical shows. Will probably pass on Nichols (though I am a big fan of James Garner), but may possibly pick up How the West Was Won with James Arness (another show/miniseries which I remember catching on its original run and enjoying).

I'm glad to have them, as B+W TV hour drama is among my most desired, but none of Eleventh Hour, Sam Benedict or Gallant Men would be among my favorites...some terrible, mostly fair to good, but with a few great episodes in each series, but overall definitely average TV shows in my book...
Glad to have your opinions on the averageness of these three, Randall. Sam Benedict does pique my curiosity somewhat, especially due to its star, Edmond O'Brien, an actor I have a lot of time for.

But I am thankful for the many treasures delivered to us by Warner Archive!
Amen, brother! It was a nice run while it lasted, and my personal TV on DVD collection is richer due to their releases. Would've loved to have seen Colt .45, Temple Houston and The Travels of Jamie McPheeters released, as well as complete runs of the WB detective shows, which are a lot of fun. Oh, and the short-run sitcom Room for One More (with Andrew Duggan). And of course, S2 of the great Mr. Novak. But one must focus on the positive, and what we did get was very welcome indeed.

Last edited:

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Jeff, thank you for reminding me that WAC released the 17 episode complete series of Maya (Jay North,1966-67 Stirling Silliphant created show partly filmed on location in India!), and also the 1966 theatrical film starring Clint Walker that preceded it. I will definitely get those.

I do have Nichols (1971-72, 22 episodes), and am glad to have it, as yourself I am a big James Garner fan. The WAC complete series looks superb, although I have mixed feelings about the series itself. I also have WAC's complete Bret Maverick (1981-82, 17 episodes), which can be a hoot, but of course it is mostly a pale echo of the original show. It also looks great, with the great Garner, his brother, Stuart Margolin and assorted solid supporting cast.

Another WAC show you mentioned, Jericho, the 1966-67 WW2 MGM TV espionage show, definitely looks and feels like Man From UNCLE WW2 style...a few fun episodes, welcome guest stars and the three leads are likeable enough, but a very average show...glad to have Jericho, but would much prefer Fox's Blue Light, Man Who Never Was, Convoy or 12 O'clock High for War/Espionage shows from the '60s. And I had hoped that WAC would release the 1965 Mister Roberts TV series starring Roger Smith of 77 Sunset Strip. Even though I resented Garrison's Gorillas at the time for prematurely succeeding Selmur's great Combat! in 1967, I would welcome a quality release of that show too. With Disney owning these two Selmur shows, they're locked up forever going forward. Thank God for Image DVDs. Apparently, CBS/P owns the 1961-62 QM/Selmur series The New Breed. At least, you can watch TV recordings of the complete Garrison's Guerillas on YT.

Last edited:

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I am totally uninterested in old TV shows, but find the coming of sound fascinating. In pursuit of this interest, I have purchased all the vita phone shorts, and all the Jolson movies.
I love the later pre-codes also,
and have bought all the Wheeler and Wolsey movies, and the Eddie Cantor set.

This has been especially difficult at times because WA at first were not available in Canada. I had to have them sent to Chicago to my sisters address, then re-mailed to me in Hamilton. Later we rented a PO box in Niagara Falls US, and declaired them at the border (never had a bit of trouble).

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
I'm surprised Warner Archive never released The Travels of Jamie McPheeters. That show did have some star power, with Charles Bronson joining in its second half. There were transfers from when TNT aired it, if they didn't want to pay to remaster it. It's a shame. The show is currently being aired by GET tv on the weekends, but the prints aren't the best.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UnthinkableSol
Recent bookmarks
SVS Outlet Sale