What's new

Walt Disney Treasures Wave 10 - Any news yet? (1 Viewer)

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
Originally Posted by bcotter
The Disney Treasures series is officially dead. No further titles are in the works. I confirmed that with Leonard Maltin just now.

Don't shoot the messenger. Like the rest of you, things would be far different if I had a vote. Happily I was able to get almost everything Disney did for television on tape, and am now transferring it to DVD. The Treasures have so much more, though, in terms of quality transfers and extras, so it's sad to see the end. I'm just glad I was able to help get them to do some of what they did do.

Bill
Bill:

Thank you for the update and thank you for all your efforts on behalf of the Treasures line.

This is sad news indeed.

Darby

ChuckWL

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chuck
Yes sad news, indeed. My husband and I purchased all the Treasures and they truly are that "Treasures" in our media library. One question from this amateur /img/vbsmilies/htf/wink.gif... I was wondering if all the classic Donald, Mickey, Goofy and Pluto animated shorts were released in these collections or are we missing any?

All of the Mickey, Donald, and Pluto shorts have been released. All of the Goofys have been released except for one or two two-reelers from the late 1960s. There are also a handful of one-shot cartoons not released. I'd say about 80-85% of the shorts have been released.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'm also still waiting for the release of the 2007 Goofy short "How to Hook Up Your Home Theater" that was released in theaters with National Treasure 2: Book of Secrets.

Wikipedia is saying it will be released sometime next month on a DVD called "Have a Laugh!" That's news to me. Good news, mind you. /img/vbsmilies/htf/biggrin.gif

ChuckWL

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chuck
Originally Posted by Eric Scott Richard
All of the Mickey, Donald, and Pluto shorts have been released. All of the Goofys have been released except for one or two two-reelers from the late 1960s. There are also a handful of one-shot cartoons not released. I'd say about 80-85% of the shorts have been released.
Eric, Thanks so much for the kind reply. /img/vbsmilies/htf/wink.gif

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sumner Northcutt

Originally Posted by Mike Frezon
I'm also still waiting for the release of the 2007 Goofy short "How to Hook Up Your Home Theater" that was released in theaters with National Treasure 2: Book of Secrets.

Wikipedia is saying it will be released sometime next month on a DVD called "Have a Laugh!" That's news to me. Good news, mind you. /img/vbsmilies/htf/biggrin.gif

I did a search on Amazon on "Have A Laugh" and came up with the link:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_13?url=search-alias%3Ddvd&field-keywords=have+a+laugh+disney&sprefix=Have+a+Laugh!

See no mention about the Goofy "How to Hook Up Your Home Theater"

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Sumnernor said:
Whoop it up when a mischievous baby seal hides out in Mickey's bathtub. Shriek with laughter as ghost hunters Goofy, Donald, and Mickey are scared silly by four spirited spooks. Then, get ready to roar when Goofy attempts to hook up his new, high-tech home theater system and, "BLAM!", things go hilariously haywire!

For some odd reason, the special features are listed, but not the shorts themselves.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I too conducted a search yesterday. I wanted to see what the cost was on titles from the Treasure Series that I decided to obtain. The big river market place offered many titles as did ebay. The fact the series has reached a final conclusion became an incentive to pick up what I wanted. The only red flag was beware of bootleg and confirm the tin the contents open or not. I would love to get an HD of Scarecrow. I have to admit that is my jewel in my collection. So very well done. I thank Dave and Gord for giving us the heads up when the title was on pre order what 2 years ago.

Dustin James

Stunt Coordinator
"How to Hook Up Your Home Theater" has been available for quite a while as a digital download through the iTunes store for $1.99.

However, I would prefer a physical copy that is not wrapped in DRM that limits the playback to certain devices.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Just watching the 1990's Zorro suddenly reminded me that "Hey, the last thing I saw out was the 50's Zorro! What happened to the 2010 set?" - ah well, pity that the range had been retired. I wasn't big on the animated shorts, but I loved the live action stuff!

On a similar note, I imagine that the Wildlife Movies that came out a couple of years ago was the beginning and end of that range? Pity, those things were the bomb!

Schwpz

Auditioning
Real Name
Sara
Sorry for reviving this very old thread, but after spying the web for some info, you guys here seems to be by far the best informed.
While devastated to learn in this thread that the Disney Treasures series have been discontinued, I still wonder; Does anyone know if there are any plans to release all of the region 1 Disney Treasures in Europe?
There are still numerous Disney Treasure titles that are only available in Region 1, which is somewhat usewhat useless for me living on the other side of the pond. Among the ones available only in region 1 are famous animations such as Chronological Donald vol 4 (only the first three are available on the European market, and in addition without some of the wartime cartoons such as "The Furhers face" - le gasp, think if my poor, European soul should be subject of anti nazi propaganda! :rolleyes:), Silly Symphonies vol. 2 (only the first one is released in region 2 so far), Disney Rarities, On The Front Lines, the list goes on. That's a lot of fantastic animation!!
I've been post-poning buying the region 1 DVDs for several years, partly because I don't have a region-free DVD player, but also because imported DVDs are very expensive, not to mention that the European version often includes the option for subtitles or dubs, which would allow my daughter to enjoy the animations as well. But if the series has truly been discontinued, I'm now fearing the region 2 releases will never come. :(
Any info on the matter would be deeply appreciated!

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
There is speculation Disney might, one day, revisit the series for Blu-ray. Considering the Region 1 DVDs were nearly cancelled twice before finally ending, I'm dubious to that ever happening. The chances of it happening for other regions would be even slimmer.
So frankly, if I were you, I would seek out the Region 1 DVDs you're missing. They're expensive even here, without import costs, as it was a limited edition series that has mostly long sold out. But I'd say it's your best bet.

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
They need to rerelease the old Treasures. Donald 4 was out of stock too quick as opportunistic jerks bought up the boatload of them and started selling them for more than 100. I hate those type of people,

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Hi Sara,
I did not know if you knew of this thread here in the forum.
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/312721/disney-mod-program-begins-disney-generations/60
Hey Welcome to HTF. HTF is sure a great place to learn things. I have said it before and will again. HTF MEMBERS ARE THE BEST!!!
You will save money here and you wil be able to keep up with any DVD or blu-ray title release

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Disney seems to have an annoying view that if they can't sell over 100,000 copies, it's not worth doing. The last 2 Donald volumes sold 30 to 40 thousand copies in about 2 months. Why can't they live with that. As for Blu Ray, I think that Disney will at least release the cartoons in the animation collections in that format. The most perfect title for a blu Treasures treatment is, of course, Song of the South.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
RolandL said:
I see they only have two of these available at the Disney Store - Spin and Marty and Tomorrowland . Is that just whats available online or would they have more treasure titles at a store?
You're unlikely to find any of the titles at a B&M store today. Most have been sold out for a while. Some demand very high prices. Check Amazon and ebay.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
RolandL said:
I see they only have two of these available at the Disney Store - Spin and Marty and Tomorrowland . Is that just whats available online or would they have more treasure titles at a store?
I'm not sure they ever carried these in Disney stores, but as Joe said most have been OOP and sold out for years. I don't remember
seeing any in B&M store for at least 5 years or more.

I just checked the Disney Movie Club list and they do have the 2 you mentioned plus "Elfego Baca and The Swamp Fox, Legendary Heroes"
and " The Adventures Of Oswald The Lucky Rabbit." Those could be bought for as little as $12 with some of the deals in place, but
that's not going to help with any of the older items.

Ebay and 3rd Party Amazon or if can find a collector who is getting rid of his discs might be the only place to look -- some people swear that find these in Pawn Shops and Swap Meets, but they
obviously have much higher class Pawn Shops than I have locally. Some of them are reasonable cost, but there are 10 or 12 that
are unlikely to be found inexpensively.

youworkmen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david
The titles that Disney still have are the lesser titles and don't command prices like many of the others.

I'm in the UK and got about 16 of the Treasures tins as the few that came out in the UK were not in tins .

I've been clearing up since Xmas and trying to get the few I still wanted.

I managed to get Dr Syn for £17.99 when it came out and sold it for over £90 less than a year later . it seems to be the rarest with Donald 4 - both command ridiculous prices.

Interestingly a lot more titles came out in Spain and Germany than in the UK . In Spain they have a few in steelbook type cases not tins but I managed to get Donald 3 for £16 from Spain and once the disc is in the player everything is in English.

Most of the Disney hosted tv sets only came out in the US. Your Host Walt Disney seems to be the hardest to get but I paid £70 this week and the Secrets etc tin I paid a similar price for.

I guess they just didn't sell as well as they expected with the earliest ones having 150k produced and down to about 35k for the last ones.

I have titles where the limit is 125k , 65k and 60k so they seemed to do fewer and fewer as the series went along.

It looks like Donald 4 only came out in the US but there is a couple of Spanish boxsets for very cheap prices if all you want is the content and not the packaging. For under £20 there's a 10 disc set with Mickey Mouse In Colour , Mickey In B&W and the first 3 volumes of Donald all in a single case.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks