Walmart selling HD-DVD player

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by RobertR, Apr 4, 2006.

1. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

2. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover
    With Wal-Mart already listing this is a good sign for the format though. I've been pleasantly surprised by the amount of high def monitors, plasmas, and LCDs they are currently displaying. Especially with new Wal-Marts. Their electronic area is looking much better. It's still Wmart though. They gotta get those blue vests changed out. [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Ryan Wishton

Ryan Wishton Screenwriter

I am a terrible videophile. I belong in a mental institution when it comes to that. I already know that.

But, my god. The displays at Walmart are just painful to view. It truly is a horrible experience.

When my 19 inch from 5 years ago (which I paid $200 for) puts out a better picture and sound than something that costs $1500??? Well, I just can't fathom ever making a purchase like that from Walmart.

But, I am also surprised at Walmart stocking HD-DVD so early.

Sony needs to abandon the pompus attitute this time around. If they are looking to win, they have to "lower" their standards. If they were smart, they would stock at Walmart just to get more attention as well.

Is Walmart kind of filthy? Absolutely. Our's is terribly filthy with customers who look to be over medicated. But, you need to remove the stick this round Sony.

4. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Producer

Is there any other kind?
    The only display that looks 'good' to me at WM is the Samsung 16:9 tube they have an exclucive with.
    Will WM carry BD (hardware or software)?

5. FrancisP

FrancisP Screenwriter

Walmart did not sell DVD players initially. DVD started out in the thousands of dollars. $500 is cheap compared to that. Walmart started stocking dvd recorders when they hit $550.00. I may buy a LCD tv from them later in the year.

6. Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips Screenwriter

Toshiba had DVD players available at format launch in May 1997 for $399 and $499 SRP, depending on the model. I bought one immediately from a mail order dealer before any movies were available in my area.

I won't be such an early adopter this time, because of the lack of one format.

As for Wal-Mart; I love it when they display all those fool screen DVDs on their 16 X 9 sets!

7. RyanAn

RyanAn Screenwriter

I think the prices are incredibly reasonable - I'm very content. It's kind of a bad thing, because it's still $500, and it may make me very conflicted to purchase both formats. [​IMG]

Ryan

8. Greg T

Greg T Stunt Coordinator

Isn't this just online...and not in stores?
    With only 10k hd dvd players...there not stocking them in store for a while at Wally World...right?.
    There was someone on another site who never stated that he did or did not work for Wal Mart...that was describing an 18ft long display area for both hd dvd and Sony Blu Ray players with a player center stage, and the software taking up the rest of the space.
    I thought he was nuts...or something..but you never know I guess.[​IMG]

9. Jeff(R)

Jeff(R) Second Unit

Well, I can't imagine them not carrying PS3 systems. Of course that would include selling movie Blu-ray Discs, because I have to think that PS3 owners will be interested in those. I think it's safe to assume that Blu-ray players will be sold there.

10. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Producer

Well if HiDef is at WM, we have got a chance!!!

11. henry stobbe

henry stobbe Auditioning

I purchased my Toshiba dvd player in 97 or early 98 from price club in Canada for $600 plus tax. I thought that was a great deal at the time!!

12. Paul.S

Paul.S Producer

Paul
    WalMart (and Costco) will sell the HD-D1.

13. Tom J. Davis

Tom J. Davis Second Unit

I would just as soon not see them at WM. Wasn't WM the first retailer to start screaming about no P&S dvd's?

14. Brian Little

Brian Little Stunt Coordinator

Or a Widescreen DVD on a 16x9 set with the player set to 4x3 Letterbox as I saw at a local Wallyworld late last year. What's sad is that I saw a ton of customers watching these said TVs and they were actually saying comments of how the picture looked "amazing."

15. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Producer

I don't know if they where the first. Maybe Blockbuster? However, HD on disc is a widescreen format. I'm not saying OAR is totally safe with these two warring formats, just we have a 'better' chance with HD.
    Walmart may become the HBO of disc, however!

Peace, Love, & HiDef Forever!

16. Ryan-G

Ryan-G Supporting Actor

With all due respect sir,

HD on disc is no more a widescreen format than any preceeding format was. Wallmart was the biggest PS whiner, blackmailing the studios with threats of boycotting DVD.

There is nothing Wallmart touches that isn't corrupted in the process. Whether it's censorship, or low quality products, or attempting to push it's values on everyone else, Wallmart is *never* a good thing.

Which is why I refuse to set foot in one of them.

17. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

They're only listening to their customers. If Wal Mart didn't sell full screen DVDs, they wouldn't stock them. I don't particularly care for Wal Mart but I blame the people who buy the full screen DVDs, not the stores who sell them.

18. Ryan-G

Ryan-G Supporting Actor

That's where I have to respectfully disagree.

Not going to rehash the arguement for OAR, as I'd be pretty much preaching to the choir here, but I will say that Wallmart should be educating people about the difference rather than continuing to perpetuate a schism in visual media.

Retailers have a duty to both the studios and the public to work towards a single format. It doesn't affect the retailers bottom line one bit, but it makes an enourmous difference in the bottom line of the Studios who have to master two different copies, and it affects the price the consumer pays as it all ends up priced in to the DVDs at the register. Drop the price, sales increase to some extent, retailers profit in the end.

But not Wallmart. That'd mean they'd actually have to train their employees, and considering they force most of their employees into Welfare I doubt highly they'll pay for a 30 minute training session.

19. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Producer

Good for you (and the country). I salute & applaud you.
    However, they are still the largest retailer in the world. HD on disc is a retail product. Fighting not only for shelf space, butt for survival as well.