What's new

Vladimir Horowitz Recommendations? (1 Viewer)

Steve Elias

Stunt Coordinator
I've had "Portrait of an Artist - Vladimir Horowitz" from CBS for nearly fifteen years. I picked it up by accident and have enjoyed it ever since. It is now time to consider expanding my Horowitz collection. What are the best recordings and/or best performances available on CD or DVD-A or SACD? I'm limited to redbook at the moment, but soon I will be universal. Thanks.
-Steve

Seth--L

Screenwriter
There are simply too many to list, but two 'live in concert' sets have been released lately which are both worth buying:

Live & Unedited: Historic 1965 Carnegie Hall (Sony)
Horowitz Rediscovered (RCA)

Steve Elias

Stunt Coordinator
"There are simply too many to list"

Good news. It sounds as if I will be happy with whatever I pick up, just as I'm happy with my Portrait of an Artist CD.

"Live & Unedited: Historic 1965 Carnegie Hall (Sony)"

My limited knowledge of Vladimir Horowitz suggests that he made mistakes with some regularity and that was the price he paid for the moments of sheer brilliance. I suspect the "Unedited" aspect of this recording will bear this out.

Thanks, Seth.

Seth--L

Screenwriter
Steve,

Yes, his '65 return concert at Carnegie Hall was touched up in the studio when it was first released. So this time around we get to hear his mistakes.

Sony has recently repackaged/rereleased a large number of their recordings. I don't know if these have been remastered since their last releases. Just FYI

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks