What's new

Vinyl to 24/192 DVD conversion Hardware (1 Viewer)

Bruce Tritch

Auditioning
Hi-
I've been waiting like forever to start making hi-res copies of my vinyl. Ideally, I'd plug my turntable into my sound card, have click and pop removal options, record to my hard drive at 24/192, and be able to separate tracks, and burn 24/196 DVD-Audio to play in my DVD-A player.
I'm willing to accept using an outboard phono step-up device, and don't really have to have the click and pop removal software, and recording at "only" 24/96.
So my questions are: What sound cards? What software? What burner?
I realize there is more than one way to skin this particular cat, but I'm thinking $1000 total for sound card, burner, and software.
Recommendations?

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
DVD-Audio authoring software is going to be ridiculously expensive. $1000 won't even get started on that.

I'd archive the raw 24/192 files for future use, and for the time being downsample it to 24/96 or whatever can be put on DVD-Video. But you'll need DVD-Video authoring software that accepts high resolution audio. My guess is you can't do that for less than $1000 either.

TyC

Stunt Coordinator
Actually, DVD-Audio authoring software can be had for the bargain price of $500. Minnetonka's discWelder Steel will import high-res WAVs and burn them to a DVD. I'm not sure if it will do MLP compression though.

Bruce Tritch

Auditioning
Thanks for the help so far.
I have solid Stereophile B+ analogue rig. It generally beats CD's played thru my Stereophile B+ rated digital stereo rig. Depending on the material, analogue is in the same ball park as SACD and DVD-A. I have a Nitty Gritty record cleaner, Milty Zerostat, and good record brushes to keep my vinyl happy. I also use Last and Gruv-Glide. I also have over 10,000 albums, 1000 cd's and over 100 hi-res disks.
I'd like to be able to make really great sounding copies for use in a multi cd player, to make my own mixes, to take to friends houses to show them some here-to for unknown material I have. I want to be able to make my own "Clapton played back-up on all these songs and no one else has ever compiled this stuff together" disk. I want to listen to 24/192 DVD-A on the beach with my laptop and Max Headroom amp and hi end headphones.
It sounds like I need to wait another year or two.
In my search, I have found the following currently available tools, for those interested in pursuing my quest:
Lynx Two sound card www.hhbusa. 700-1100 card does what I want.
CoolEdit noise reduction.
Alesis Masterlink ml-9600
Waveterminal 192x

Currently, the fly in the ointment appears to be DVD-A authoring software (and the ability to actually burn 24/196).

Further comments welcome!

Bruce Tritch

Auditioning
Audiotron with all CDs converted to VBR Mp3.
Yowch.
Thats a subject for another thread. I like it here, and flaming is banned! Besides, Satan can't hear the difference either.
Seriously, if I didn't LIVE for the difference between great and greater audio, I'd be about $50,000 richer.
So who's dumber and who's dumberer?

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I really don't like under 128k MP3

If I encode at 192 most songs sound fine, anything above and it's almost CD quality

Jeff Savage

Second Unit
Ahh some vinyl talk. I love listening to vinyl+tubes+my Klipsch Cornwalls. Anyway there is a guy in our DFW hornheads group here in DFW (he has khorns the bastard) who has had lots of luck using a Card Delux card. He actually started a thread here in the music section about mastering to DVD-A. I also linked some other threads that you might like from the Klipsch forum.

Post in Music Area

Vinyl to PC recording in Klipsch Forum

nuther Klipsch Posting about Sound Forge

Card Delux Post

Hope this helps!

Laters,
Jeff

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I've had good results recording to 16/44 CD from vinyl. I use a Sony MDS-JB920 as an A-D converter, and send the output to my computer through a digital connection. My CDs recorded this way turn out very good. I would say that you should expect great results from your better setup. My only nit with my setup is that my MD recorder could work at 20 bit, as could my sound card, if only I could find some inexpensive HDCD software I could burn HDCDs.

I would recommend that you wait on the expensive filters that remove pops. My records are in very good shape for the most part, and I can remove the 5 or 6 pops per side very easily in SoundForge. When you see the waveform the pops really jump out at you. Simply zoom in and remove the offending spike and you're done.

I don't trust any noise reduction programs for removing the tiny clicks under the music, I only delete the very large ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks