What's new

Vince Flynn, Author of Mitch Rapp series, RIP (1 Viewer)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
While the James Gandolfini thing made major news yesterday, also passing away yesterday was Vince Flynn, author of the Mitch Rapp book series.

Flynn was diagnosed with Prostate Cancer in 2010, so this was not unexpected but still an early loss at 47.
Novelist Vince Flynn, who was diagnosed with stage three metastatic prostate cancer in 2010, but continued to write his best-selling thrillers, has died at the age of 47.

Flynn died Wednesday morning at United Hospital in St. Paul.

He's best known for his CIA page-turners that starred Mitch Rapp, a counterterrorism operative who made Flynn the darling of conservatives.
He wrote 14 USA TODAY best sellers. Three reached No. 2 on the list: Kill Shot and The Last Man (both in 2012) and American Assassin in 2010.

His publisher, Atria, says it's not yet known what or how much was completed on Flynn's next novel, The Survivor, originally scheduled to be released in October.

In a 2012 interview with USA TODAY, Flynn discussed living and working with cancer: "The first 48 hours of my diagnosis were hellish," he said. "Things just seemed to get worse and worse. We (he and his wife) were sneaking around the house, whispering so the kids wouldn't hear us. It was horrible.

"But, he said then, " I feel great now. ... We have this under control."

He's survived by his wife, Lysa, and three children (a stepson, 16, and two daughters, 11 and 9).

His fans included George W. Bush, who called Flynn "a little too accurate" because Flynn's books are often so true to CIA actions around the world. Once, while catching a ride in Bush's limo from Andrews Air Force Base, Flynn was grilled by the then-president on where he gets his information.

"I started to stutter," Flynn said.

His 2004 Memorial Day describes a raid very similar to the one that killed Osama bin Laden in 2011. Often his books have been put on security review by the Pentagon before they are released, and they are even used by the Secret Service to identify possible lapses in their security.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/books/2013/06/19/best-selling-author-vince-flynn-dies-at-age-47/2437951/

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Yeah, 47 suddenly doesn't seem so young old. I have been meaning to start reading his books, but never got around to it.

Rest In Peace, Vince Flynn!

Edit - I can't believe I put "young". I meant to put "old". Stupid error!

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I missed this earlier. That's too bad. I read his books but didn't realize he had cancer. Term Limits is the first book I read of his, and is still one of my favorites.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treed99
Recent bookmarks