What's new

Vigilantism and Revenge Movies on DVD? (2 Viewers)

MattHR

Screenwriter
Death Wish
Vigilante
I Spit On Your Grave
Mother's Boys
Walking Tall
Billy Jack
The Exterminator

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Once Upon a Time in the West
The Quick and the Dead
(Hmmm both westerns have similar revenge/flashback themes)

Payback
Point Blank
High Plains Drifter
The Outlaw Josey Wales
Star Trek II-The Wrath of Khan

Voon Jiet

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Voon
Tim Burton's Batman centers around vigilantism and revenge - albeit in the context of a comic book superhero.

MattHR

Screenwriter
Dirty Harry - hasn't been mentioned yet.
I thought about that one, but Harry himself is actually law enforcement. But in MAGNUM FORCE, Harry takes on a group of vigilante cops. And then in SUDDEN IMPACT, Sondra Locke plays a woman seeking revenge on the gang who raped her and her sister.

Michael Taylor

Stunt Coordinator
Does Thelma and Louise count?
Almost every single Martial Arts movie ever made
Gladiator
Mystery Men:D...albeit lighthearted
Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back:laugh:
Darkman...maybe all comic book superheroes are technically vigilantes, but this definitely is revenge/vigilanteism

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
There's a phenomenal movie dealing with this theme from last year - in fact, one of the better movies from last year - but telling you what it is would certainly constitute a spoiler...

In the Bedroom

Matthew Kiernan

Stunt Coordinator
I would recommend William Lustig's VIGILANTE, now available in a spruced up Anchor Bay/THX approved DVD. Hell of a DVD.
I also recommend VIOLENT CITY with Charles Bronson, also from Anchor Bay. Great disc!
Best of them all (well, to me, anyway) is DAY OF ANGER, starring Lee Van Cleef, available only from Wild East (www.wildeast.net). Great freakin' movie!

Jodee

Screenwriter
I just saw a great little flick called "The Business of Strangers" starring Stockard Channing and Julia Stiles which dealt with revenge. Very interesting movie.

On a lighter note, I have always enjoyed "Addicted to Love" as far as revenge movies are concerned.

Jay Taylor

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I have a few of those DVDs already but will check out:
Violent City
Revenge
Vigilante
Payback
And one not mentioned:
Get Carter (1971), starring Michael Caine. It's the story of a hired killer's return from London to his hometown, a gritty town in England, to investigate and avenge the death of his brother.
P.S. Thanks for not suggesting Revenge of the Nerds. :)
Jay Taylor

Scott David

Stunt Coordinator
The Cook, The Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover.
Includes a VERY memorable scene of revenge at the end. ;)

Jay Taylor

Supporting Actor
Oh yeah! How could we forget Mr. Majestyk! I had trouble finding this movie at IMDB until replacing the “ic” with a “yk”.

Apparently it’s only on VHS at this time. Does anyone know if and when this will be released on DVD?

Michael Taylor

Stunt Coordinator
The Crow! I can't believe I didn't think of that one since it is one of my favorite films. Too bad the others are such drek...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks